PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Flagstaff?

Roger Thoms
6-Dec-2012, 20:42
I have a vacation home near Flagstaff (Alpine Ranches or the Forties as we like to call it) and will be here through Dec. 14th. Anyone here in Flag interested in getting together and doing some photography. I'm pretty flexible as far as time and location.

Roger

John Schneider
7-Dec-2012, 15:16
Lots of us in Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale (come visit Rod Klukas or Keith Canham!), but not sure of Flag...

Roger Thoms
8-Dec-2012, 21:17
John, thanks for the heads up about Phoenix members, I knew there where a full of you down there. Won't really have time for a Phenix visit this trip, but maybe in the future. We usually make out here a couple times a year. Seems like I've seen a few post from Flagstaff members so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Roger

brianjnelson
8-Dec-2012, 22:36
I will be there about the 12th.

Roger Thoms
9-Dec-2012, 08:53
Well we're here through the 14th, actually leaving Sat. the 15th, so if you have time it would be great to get together. As I mentioned, we are out in Alpine Ranches, which is about an hour out of town. No problem for us to come into town. I'm shooting 8x10 for the first time and my girlfriend (new to LF photography) is shooting 5x7. Might be fun to go out shooting, or maybe just meet for coffee or lunch.

Roger

brianjnelson
9-Dec-2012, 12:26
What 8x10 and 5x7 cameras/lenses are you using? What lens boards do they use...

Roger Thoms
9-Dec-2012, 13:06
I have a 8x10 Kodak 2D, a 360mm f9 Graphic Kowa, and it takes 6"x6" boards. Leigh has a B&J Commercial View, with a 210mm f6.8 Geronar, a 240mm f4.5 Xenar, and a 270mm f4.5 Xenar, all on 5 1/4" x 5 1/4" boards.

Roger

brianjnelson
14-Dec-2012, 13:39
Roger,

Sorry, I got in late on Thursday and well...the snow is a bit overwhelming right now to cut out and shoot.

Brian

Roger Thoms
14-Dec-2012, 14:10
Brian, well out here in the forties we only got a few inches of snow, but the wind is blowing about 40 mpg. We got out this morning (before the wind) with Leigh's 5x7 and she made a few exposures around the house. Then the tripod broke so we headed back in. We are headed down to Tucson, and are going to try and leave early tomorrow morning, hopefully between storms. Anyway, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but maybe next time. I'm out here fairly often, and will shoot you a pm next time I'm headed out.

Roger

Jim Cole
17-Dec-2012, 11:49
My home is in Flag, but we're temporarily living in Indiana, otherwise it would be great to meet you.

Roger Thoms
17-Dec-2012, 12:04
Jim, good to hear you haven't moved permanently, we are still stuck in San Francisco, but will eventually move to Flagstaff. We've had our home out in the Forties for 12 years now and love it out there. Maybe I have to host a LF get together out at the house. Only problem is that it's a little hard to find. Btw, Flag got some nice snow Fri. & Sat.

Roger

Jim Cole
18-Dec-2012, 08:34
Jim, good to hear you haven't moved permanently, we are still stuck in San Francisco, but will eventually move to Flagstaff. We've had our home out in the Forties for 12 years now and love it out there. Maybe I have to host a LF get together out at the house. Only problem is that it's a little hard to find. Btw, Flag got some nice snow Fri. & Sat.

Roger

Roger, we won't be back until maybe May, 2014. Our modest house is on the north side of town on the highway to the Grand Canyon and we love it there. Nice to hear about the snow. I just hope we don't get a repeat of the blizzard from 5 years ago while we have renters in the house. We'll have to get together when I get back. We really like San Francisco and all of northern California. If I had to be stuck somewhere, I could probably handle that. Try Indiana sometime;)

Leszek Vogt
29-Dec-2012, 01:45
Wow, those aspens and red clay are calling me back. Could use a dose of Flag right now.....hmmm, maybe in 2014. Yes, I moved here so I can miss the SW.:D Life is just peachy!

Les

Jim Cole
1-Jan-2013, 08:06
Wow, those aspens and red clay are calling me back. Could use a dose of Flag right now.....hmmm, maybe in 2014. Yes, I moved here so I can miss the SW.:D Life is just peachy!

Les

Les,

We were supposed to move to Redmond, WA in late 2007. Housing crash made it impossible to sell our house in Flag. Ended up in Indiana for what looks like almost 4 years. Yes, we miss Flagstaff big time. I gotta tell you that I was really looking forward to photographing the PNW. Oh, well. The way things have worked for us lately, we could still end up there. Life IS an adventure.