PDA

View Full Version : Question on Gitzo Tripods - Systematic Vs Non

JBelthoff
5-Dec-2012, 17:22
Hi all,

I was hoping someone would be kind enough to tell me the difference between the Gitzo Systematic and the non Systematic. I'm not sure If I am using the terminology correctly here and I hope you understand what I am asking.

I would be using it for a Sinar P 4x5 and two that I am looking at are the GT3330LS (http://www.gitzo.us/series-3-aluminum-systematic-3-section-tripod-long-w-g-lock) vs the GT3340L (http://www.gitzo.us/series-3-aluminum-tripod-4-section-long-with-g-lock).

Other than not having a center post, is there any other differences between the two?
Why would I want the systematic over the non systematic?

It's hard to tell looking at pictures on the internet and I'm nowhere close to a shop that has models to see in person.

Appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks,

swilf
5-Dec-2012, 22:36
The second one, with a center column and four sections, is much less rigid. I wouldn't recommend it for LF.

David R Munson
6-Dec-2012, 07:17
The second one, with a center column and four sections, is much less rigid. I wouldn't recommend it for LF.

For real? I mean, I agree that four leg sections is usually going to be a little more noodly than three, and that a center column can make a tripod less stable, but it's still rated to 40 lbs and I wouldn't hesitate to use it with *any* 4x5, up to and including something like a Sinar P.

But back to the OP's question - the Systematic tripods have a locking collar at the top of the tripod where the legs attach. This allows you to use a flat plate to mount the tripod head, as well as to swap out the flat plate to use either a rapid or geared column. With non-systematic tripods, you're pretty much stuck with the tripod in whatever configuration it happened to be manufactured. If you've got a rapid column, you're stuck with a rapid column, etc. The diameter of the columns is different between the different series, but consistent within the same series. Put another way, something like a series 3 flat plate (for example) will fit any series-3 systematic tripod, but would be too small to fit a series 5. The larger the series, the greater the leg diameter as well, as one would expect with higher load capacities.

I'm going to go take a couple photos of one of my tripods to illustrate what I'm talking about a bit better. Back in a bit.

David R Munson
6-Dec-2012, 07:46
Aaaaand I'm back. Check out the attached photo showing the flat plate and the top of the tripod, and to see how it works more in-depth, check out this blog post (http://photo-otaku.com/changing-columns-on-a-gitzo-systematic-tripod/) I've just put up illustrating it. I hope that helps!

JBelthoff
6-Dec-2012, 08:36
This is excellent Dave, I read you blog post. And if I understand correctly, the Systematic is a convertible system with many options that can be built upon. However the other tripod, with the center column, is only "EVER" a tripod with a center column.

That gives me plenty to think about and plan accordingly.

Thank you very much for the time you put in on this. :)

David R Munson
6-Dec-2012, 08:40
...if I understand correctly, the Systematic is a convertible system with many options that can be built upon. However the other tripod, with the center column, is only "EVER" a tripod with a center column.

Yup. That's pretty much it.

Thank you very much for the time you put in on this. :)

No prob. I was actually happy to have something to be productive with early on my day off!

Lenny Eiger
14-Dec-2012, 11:06
I'm with Dave on this one.

I have to say that the locking legs are great. What a difference. One doesn't have to lock all the other collars down to open one up, etc. It makes it much easier....

Lenny

Sideshow Bob
14-Dec-2012, 14:15

I use a Gitzo GT3541L with my 4x5 Ebony and it is rock solid and even when I use a 720mm lens I have had no problems.

Mr.Gale