PDA

View Full Version : Technika III lensboard use with modern lens

John Harris
3-Apr-2004, 09:16
Hi,

I have recently aquired a Linhof Tech III. I heard that mounting "modern lenses" on its original lensboards (of which I have four) is tricky if not impossible. Is this true? I am new to LF and I don't have a lot of technical knowledge with this issue. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Bob Salomon
3-Apr-2004, 09:42
Not difficult at all as long as you have the proper sized hole in the board.

Jan Pietrzak
3-Apr-2004, 09:43
John,

In two words 'N' 'O', not at all. Just make sure that you have the proper size opening for the shutter assembly to go into. If you need to redrill openings hat may be a bit harder. Also their is a little set screw on the back of the shutter flang that you may need to remove to make sure that the lens is flat. Also remember to cover all existing holes in the lens board. Besides the big one for the lens some old lenses had parts that screwed in to the board, fill those holes.

If you can not mount your lenses and need to make new boards(Linhof does not make them for the III) sheet aluminium will work just fine cut it to size drill the main hole and mount the lens. Also be careful when un-screwing the rear element of the lens and re-screwing it, they have very fine threads and can be cross threaded very easly.

If you feel that this is to much work seek some help. Oh and have fun with your new (to you) Tech III. I still have mine after finding it on my front door step. I finally replaced it with a Master I needed to remount four lenses on to IV, V, M boards.

good luck

Jan

Bob Salomon
3-Apr-2004, 09:54
"drill the main hole"

No. The opening in a board should be milled, not drilled. Using a drill creates stresses in a bord wich can effect the alignment of the lensboard opening to the film plane. If you can't mill it yourself a camera repair and some camera stores can do it for you.

John Harris
3-Apr-2004, 11:35
Thanks all for the help, the information is very useful.

John