PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Vancouver, Canada

calamari
26-Nov-2012, 13:42
Hi,

I've shot a ton of digital 35 previously, but recently I fell in love with taking my time with photography. No more machine gun style shooting, but just carefully composing, calculating, and thinking. I've been also shooting 120 film as well, and it only seemed natural to go to large format route.

I currently do not own a large format yet, but is actively searching for one.

Thank you for reading and I hope to learn a lot!

Andrew O'Neill
26-Nov-2012, 15:15
Hello calamari,

I'm located in Coquitlam, near Riverside. A few of us gather for outings every now and then. You'll have to join us some time.

Andrew

lbenac
26-Nov-2012, 16:00
Welcome to the "light" :-)
There is plenty of used camera on the market when you have narrowed down what your interest/technique and pain treshold are...

Cheers,

Luc

Eric Rose
26-Nov-2012, 16:10
something smells fishy .....

calamari
26-Nov-2012, 16:16
Thanks, I'd love to join the outings. Where do you guys usually find used gear other than the obvious (For sale section, craigslist, ebay...)?

What smells fishy??

aporodagon
26-Nov-2012, 17:25
Since calamari aren't fish, then something smells mollusc-y? Welcome to the forum, and where about in Vancouver are you located?. I'm in Vancouver (Fairview area) and get together with Andy for photo trips. Hope you can join us, I have a spare camera if you don't have one yet. Aporodagon

calamari
26-Nov-2012, 18:01
Since calamari aren't fish, then something smells mollusc-y? Welcome to the forum, and where about in Vancouver are you located?. I'm in Vancouver (Fairview area) and get together with Andy for photo trips. Hope you can join us, I have a spare camera if you don't have one yet. Aporodagon

Thanks for the welcome, I currently reside in UBC area. I'd love to just come out with what i got at the moment, for these trips. What sorts of subjects do you guys normally shoot?

Andrew O'Neill
26-Nov-2012, 19:38
aporodagon (aka John) is refering to me... but only good friends call me Andy :)
John and I have similar interests. Architecture, preferably older buildings as found downtown Vancouver, Hastings St Gastown area... sometimes we venture out to Ashcroft, Kamloops.

bitnaut
26-Nov-2012, 20:02
Hola! I'm out in Van as well. You can see my stuff at http://500px.com/edaraquel

e

calamari
27-Nov-2012, 00:10
Those 8x10 Polaroids look gorgeous!!

When do you guys plan on going on your next outing? I'd love to join and see how you guys work. Also, are there any local places that might sell 4x5 cameras?

bitnaut
27-Nov-2012, 10:57
Leo's Camera has a used 4x5 in their front window for way too much money and Beau Photo has a bunch as well.

e

Andrew O'Neill
27-Nov-2012, 10:59
I'm pretty busy with a couple of shows at the moment. Won't be free 'til after Christmas. John? Any ideas? John, are you still selling your 4x5?

Mark_C
28-Nov-2012, 02:47
Beau Photo is best place to find 4x5, go to the back room with all the used equipment

Cheers from Coquitlam (the "smells like a fish" town)
- Mark_C

Andrew O'Neill
28-Nov-2012, 08:47
Rotting salmon smell this time of year.

Eric Rose
28-Nov-2012, 10:52
I use to enjoy going to Leo's but after awhile found their prices to be a bit out of line with reality. Cool part of town.

calamari
28-Nov-2012, 17:32
I use to enjoy going to Leo's but after awhile found their prices to be a bit out of line with reality. Cool part of town.

I briefly checked out their used dept on the website which sells a LF Technika for $2500 and it seems a bit high.

Ill go check out Beau as well thanks!.

I used to live in Coquitlam, the creeks smelled of Salmon.

aporodagon
28-Nov-2012, 18:39
Calamari, try Beau photo (6th and Granville) or Leo's downtown on Granville for LF stuff. Mostly used stuff is available at these locations but it will get you started. Next trip will probably be a weekend after the rain stops. Keep in touch!

calamari
1-Dec-2012, 17:20
Thanks everyone,

I just picked up a Linhof monorail 4x5, and Im dying to use it! Let me know if you guys plan to go on a trip, meanwhile Ill be saving up for a new tripod. :)