PDA

View Full Version : New Variable Contrast B/W Lamp House

cardiomac
25-Nov-2012, 18:43
This is a demo video of a new LED based variable contrast lamp house I'm building for the Omega D series enlargers. The final product will be very similar to my Model 2 lamp house. I am interested in any feedback anyone has to offer. Thank you.

http://youtu.be/bg-lBWiLZlU

chassis
25-Nov-2012, 18:52
Looks very cool. Is a Beseler version (45V-XL, 45M) planned?

Noah B
25-Nov-2012, 21:00
That looks awesome! Does the phone app include tenths of a second? Also, do you plan on making one for a color head?

Stephanie Brim
25-Nov-2012, 22:07
So cool, but I'm an Android user. ;)

Ari
25-Nov-2012, 22:09
That's pretty neat; will it come with an optional foot switch?

cardiomac
25-Nov-2012, 23:03
Thanks for the comments.

No Beseler models are planned now, but maybe in the future.

The phone app could support tenths of a second if that is what is wanted. A color head is beyond my abilities as I don't do (wet) color printing and could not test the performance of the device I build.

Unfortunately the manufacturer of the Bluetooth module I'm using provides API's only for Apple IOS software development. Android devices are not supported. It is out of my hands.

I hadn't thought of using a foot switch but it would be possible without too much effort to support one.

Please keep in mind that the app is barely 1.0 and not yet available on the app store. Many, many more cool features are planned and will be implemented as fast as it takes me to learn the nuances of IOS programming.

cardiomac
25-Nov-2012, 23:17
One more comment on the Android/Apple issue. As far as I know, the latest Android operating system still provides no native support for Bluetooth Low Energy (the latest Bluetooth protocol) and most Android devices provide no other support whatsoever. Some devices provide limited support through third party solutions which makes programming for any and all Android devices impossible. Apple has supported BLE natively since the release of the iPhone 4S last year and was the first manufacturer to do so. Other Apple devices that support BLE are the iPhone 5, the latest generation iPod, the third and fourth generation iPad, and the iPad mini. The controller app will work on any of these devices and has been tested specifically on the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and the third generation iPad.

Kodachrome25
26-Nov-2012, 00:09
Looks great, I have a D2 in storage but won't be pulling it out until I get a bigger space for workshops. If you get one going for the Beseler 45MXT, let us all know...

jack_hui
26-Nov-2012, 07:24
Great item, I am happy with ur model 2, first class product!
Will get ur VC head for sure.

Bob Mann
26-Nov-2012, 07:30
Would really, really like this in a 5x7 or 8x10 head - any thoughts on scaling it up for those formats?

cowanw
26-Nov-2012, 08:59
Should the phone screen be a safelight colour?

chassis
26-Nov-2012, 10:43
From the video, it looked like the screen used red and amber colors, appearing to be safe.

cardiomac
26-Nov-2012, 16:49

With the phone set to the lowest brightness, the app seems to be paper safe as close as 12 inches or so but I haven't tested it rigorously yet. Even at the lowest brightness the buttons are easily visible in the darkroom so I have room to darken them some more if need be. If you wanted to be absolutely sure you could cover the screen with a red gel or simply flip the phone over on its face.

cardiomac
26-Nov-2012, 16:51
Would really, really like this in a 5x7 or 8x10 head - any thoughts on scaling it up for those formats?

Some day, maybe. This current project is going to keep me busy for some time.

ataim
30-Nov-2012, 15:13
Looks very cool. Is a Beseler version (45V-XL, 45M) planned?

Count me in for one for the Beleler. If they are not too much $$$$
:)

cardiomac
2-Dec-2012, 20:31

Version 1.1 of the app has been submitted to the Apple app store and is awaiting approval. It has a more fully paper-safe interface using only the color red since, with an RGB display, any color other than red will affect photographic paper to some degree if it is bright enough.

Leigh
2-Dec-2012, 20:43
Unfortunately the manufacturer of the Bluetooth module I'm using provides API's only for Apple IOS software development. Android devices are not supported.
You should not use any module that's platform-specific. Bad engineering policy.

- Leigh

evan clarke
3-Dec-2012, 05:14
Geez, I was in Statesville all week during Thanksgiving and traveled through Hickory 5 or 6 times while photographing Western NC!! I could have seen this in person!!

Pavel+
5-Dec-2012, 09:10
This should work with the new iPod touch, should it not? If the system works well I sure would not have an objection to buying a new Ipod for it and would do that rather than use my phone. My phone in the darkroom is not an attractive thought. I want "them" not be able to find me in "there"! ;)

Robbie Bedell
5-Dec-2012, 14:40
Must one have a phone to operate your lamp? Can it be wired to a traditional timer?

Bob Mann
5-Dec-2012, 18:37

Would two 4x5 units put together make a 5x8 head?

cardiomac
5-Dec-2012, 20:41

Would two 4x5 units put together make a 5x8 head?

No, because of the foam light seal at the bottom. If I were to make a 5x7 universal head, it would be much shallower and thus more efficient with light. Same with an 8x10 box. Some experimentation would be needed to ensure perfectly even lighting across the negative. It's not hard; I just don't have the time.

Stefaan VB
15-Dec-2012, 16:42
I'm looking for replacement of the opal bulbs in my Durst 139 G. No chance this lamp house (or one of the earlier types) would be produced for this enlarger?

jose angel
16-Dec-2012, 02:25
Stefaan, are this bulbs of any "standard" type? (E14, E27 thread). Maybe if you post a pic of the lamp someone could help. I`m using non-original lamps on my Beseler quite successfully.

Stefaan VB
16-Dec-2012, 02:50
Stefaan, are this bulbs of any "standard" type? (E14, E27 thread). Maybe if you post a pic of the lamp someone could help. I`m using non-original lamps on my Beseler quite successfully.

These 200 or 300 Watt (on 220-230 Volt) bulbs have a E27 thread. The diameter is 110 mm (4 1/4"), because I use the enlarger with old glass plate negatives of 13x18 cm (5x7). It has become almost impossible to find this kind of bulbs.

jose angel
16-Dec-2012, 03:51
If the bulb diameter is 110, it is quite big. Philips Photocrescenta bulbs start at, say, 60mm diam., available in 75, 150 and 250watts (220volts).

Have you tried them? My Beseler use a very small, high power bulb, stupidly expensive. I tried a bigger Photocrescenta from an older enlarger and didn`t noticed a difference yet! (Beselers have adjustable condensers).

Also, the original power use to be too high to my taste, for my printing sizes I have to use 4-8X neutral grey filters. I like enlarging times for around 15-20 seconds at f8; it could mean half the recommended power... so I`m currently looking for a 35-50 watt bulb, LED type...

What I want to mean is that maybe you should look for other than the recommended bulb; even the bulb holder/housing can be easily changed, if needed (not because yours is quite common). Just test them for color and even illumination across the frame.

Stefaan VB
16-Dec-2012, 05:58
I have tried some different types of bulbs, the photocrescenta is one of them (I used them in my old Leica 35mm enlarger). The problem is that the diameter of most lamps is not large enough to illuminate the negative egally. The photocrescenta is large enough for 6x6 negatives (in combination with the correct condesors) but it doesn't allow me to use bigger ones. So I keep looking for a good solution - I still have two old but unused spare bulbs, so that keeps me going for another while.

Richard M. Coda
16-Dec-2012, 08:56
I would be very interested in a Beseler 810VXL version of this.