PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Tripod/Head Question

xmishx
10-Nov-2012, 19:13
So I just bought a great Majestic tripod that had a cine head on it. Upon pulling it off, all thats left is a hollow center column. I also just got a Majestic 1200 head, but the connection does not fit. The head has a larger opening than the diameter of the center column. I'm guessing there some sort of connection adapter. Can anyone confirm and with what part I need?

Thanks,

Ted

Leigh
10-Nov-2012, 19:49
How much larger?

My heads have a sleeve that fits in the hole, slit along one side, to protect the column
when the retaining knob is tightened. The sleeve wall is may be 1/16" to 1/8" thick.

I seem to remember there being two different column diameters.
Both of my Majestics have the same diameter column, 1.5" OD.

- Leigh

xmishx
10-Nov-2012, 23:49
Thanks for the comment Leigh. I just measured the OD on the column of mine and it is a bit smaller. I haven't been able to find any reference to the sleeve anywhere else, but hopefully I will...

Thanks,

T

lab black
11-Nov-2012, 00:27
I've worked with Jerry at Bencher to have a few of my Majestic heads repaired. He has been most helpful. Maybe he can answer your question; 847 838-3195.

jcoldslabs
11-Nov-2012, 03:17
I recently picked up a very old Majestic tripod and head that pre-date the Bencher take-over. The inner diameter of the bottom tube on the head measures 1 3/8" which is the same as the OD top of mounting post on the tripod itself. The 1200 heads have an inner mounting diameter of 1 1/2" to match the same OD of the newer tripod center posts, I believe.

My guess is your tripod is of an older generation than the head.

Jonathan

xmishx
11-Nov-2012, 16:06
Jonathan,

This appears to be correct, as the tripod does look like it has been around the block for years and years. I will talk to Bencher tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

thanks

ScottPhotoCo
11-Nov-2012, 17:49
My Majestic also has a 1.5" outside diameter on the support tube. 83391

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

xmishx
12-Nov-2012, 21:04
Well, apparently my tripod was made before 1964, in which the diameter was made smaller than the modern 1200 head. Bencher does not make a sleeve to compensate for the difference. I'm either going to have to find a pre 1964 head or have machined a sleeve that will allow me to use the more modern head... All grey tripod and heads are pre 1964 and all black equipment was made after.

Ted

Leigh
12-Nov-2012, 21:42
Just find a piece of aluminum pipe 1-1/2" OD and 1-1/4" ID, cut off a few inches and slot it lengthwise with a hacksaw

- Leigh

Don Dudenbostel
17-Nov-2012, 04:36
Well, apparently my tripod was made before 1964, in which the diameter was made smaller than the modern 1200 head. Bencher does not make a sleeve to compensate for the difference. I'm either going to have to find a pre 1964 head or have machined a sleeve that will allow me to use the more modern head... All grey tripod and heads are pre 1964 and all black equipment was made after.

Ted

I have an all black model with head that I bought new in the late 70's that has the smaller diameter so smaller versions were made after 64. I use the head on my Arkay studio stand that I bought around 84 and use an adapter to go from the large diameter down to the small.

Give Columbus Camera Group in Columbus Ohio a call. They have all kinds of odd things like adapters and old heads.

Don Dudenbostel
17-Nov-2012, 05:06
Also give Lens and Repro a call in NYC.

Jim C.
17-Nov-2012, 08:49
I thought Lens and Repro closed, Calumet has their assets ?

Don Dudenbostel
17-Nov-2012, 20:02
I thought they were still there but it's possibly the folded. That would be very sad to see them go.

xmishx
19-Nov-2012, 20:58
Thank you Don. I'll make a few calls and see what they say. If it doesn't work out, I'm gonna go to a machine shop and have them make a shim to make up the difference in size. I just received the 1200 head today from ebay. I was using a friends 1200 for reference. The one I have is like in new condition, so I really want to make this work without spending too much more money.

T

xmishx
19-Nov-2012, 21:16
Hey, looks like I found a solution. I shoot wet plate collodion on aluminum plates. Since the plates are malleable, I cut a piece down, rolled it around the column and made my own shim. I am probably gonna get a slightly thicker piece of aluminum for an even better fit.

T

xmishx
19-Nov-2012, 21:25
Hey, looks like I found a solution. I shoot wet plate collodion on aluminum plates. Since the plates are malleable, I cut a piece down, rolled it around the column and made my own shim. I am probably gonna get a slightly thicker piece of aluminum for an even better fit.

T

jcoldslabs
20-Nov-2012, 00:41
DIY--always a good choice!

I'm still polishing up and re-assembling my Majestic tripod. The head, while old, works well, but the tripod legs and center column need some TLC before they are ready to go.

Jonathan

xmishx
20-Nov-2012, 12:34
Jonathan and fellow Portlander,

My tripod could also use some elbow grease, derusting of some springs and screws. I have since found my tilt mechanism of the 1200 is a bit stiff , but with some encouraging words from Leigh here on the board, it appears to be an easy fix. My Chamonix 4x5 looks really great on it and is now much more steady than the lighter weight Manfrotto I was using before. I also want to screw on some rails so I can attach a platform on the head. I plan on shooting with my Century 8x10 on it as well. Finally I can use it after 25 years...

lee nadel
21-Nov-2012, 07:03
hi i have a similar problem how did you fix the tilt thanks lee

xmishx
21-Nov-2012, 13:17
Lee,

I haven't yet disassembled the head, but it is a simple fix. There are 2 screws on the back plate and I beleive a tension screw underneath. Loosen the tension screw and take the other screws out to remove the back plate. From there, if my understanding is correct, you will have access to the worm and worm drive. I was planning on cleaning it completely and regreasing. I noticed from accessing the worm assembly thru the opening for the center column that there was grit in the grease.

Your issue may be as simple as loosening the tensions screw...

Good luck...