PDA

View Full Version : How to Dismantle Old 240mm Fujinon-Xerox Lens to remove Glass Optics?

BigJimmyP
6-Nov-2012, 18:15
Hey all, I am a newbie here... so please bear with me if my lingo is not up to par! So here's the scoop....

I found an old 240mm f4.5 Fujinon-Xerox lens while cleaning out my grandfather's garage. It is from an old photocopy machine I think. There are a number of tiny scratches on it, so I decided to take it apart and remove the optics so that me and my kiddos can do some fun science experiments, not to mention the fun of taking something apart!

And there's the problem. I removed the (bevel?) retainer rings on each end of the lens barrel that compress the glass lenses into place. But the glass will not fall out. The lens set in the barrel now jiggles about a 32nd of an inch back and forth, but I cant see how to get them out. They will spin freely, and the optic on one end rotates and internal barrel that is only slightly smaller than the outer, but they are not bonded together. No set screws are visible on the outside of the barrel, and there are no notches for a tool to do anything anywhere on the thing. Are they pressed into place with a mysterious friction retainer ring? The lens barrel is flared to a larger diameter at both ends and APPEARS to be one piece. does it unscrew?

Should I give up and grab the Dremel tool and hope I dont damage the glass? Sounds risky, but life IS an adventure!
Please Give me your thoughts on this, Thanks for your time!!!!!

SAShruby
7-Nov-2012, 11:09
Axe, definitely Axe is a good tool. :) Sounds risky, but life IS an adventure!

Nothing personal, I just though it would be a good joke :). Good luck.

E. von Hoegh
7-Nov-2012, 11:15
The glass is a very close fit in the barrel. Two things are likely happening, one is that air can't get past the gap between the glass/barrel and two is the glass is likely tilting and jamming in the barrel. Get a small suction cup and try lifting the lenses out, very slowly so the pressure can stay about equal, keeping them straight so they don't jam.

Good luck!

wallrat
7-Nov-2012, 11:21
If you don't care about the barrel, drill a small hole in the middle away from the optics to help break any suction.

E. von Hoegh
7-Nov-2012, 11:22
If you don't care about the barrel, drill a small hole in the middle away from the optics to help break any suction.

Or chop it in half with your axe.

BigJimmyP
9-Nov-2012, 17:24
Or chop it in half with your axe.