PDA

View Full Version : Profile Screw Up between Photoshop and Lightroom

sully75
6-Nov-2012, 09:46
I think I've asked this before but have never really gotten anywhere. Maybe someone can point me to the ultimate photoshop geek board?

Basically It seems that regardless of how I set up my color settings in photoshop, when I take a grey scale tiff into photoshop from lightroom, it is slightly but significantly different. It's darker in lightroom than in photoshop. Particularly the shadows.

I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen, but it does. I'm using a profiled monitor.

Any suggestions? Here's a picture, Photoshop on the left, lightroom on the right.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QJvQb2vPz8A/UJk5-7N7auI/AAAAAAAABTU/U3WOYvuYshc/s1152/color%2520profile%2520problem.jpg

Kirk Gittings
6-Nov-2012, 09:59
Which version of PS and LR? Mac or PC? I would ask it on Luminous Landscape. Some of the PS/LR developers hang out there.

sully75
6-Nov-2012, 11:31
CS3 and Lightroom 3. Thanks Kirk.

Kirk Gittings
6-Nov-2012, 11:56
They may tell you to upgrade. I use CS6 and LR4 and don't see this issue.

pherold
7-Nov-2012, 11:45
Your PS settings don't include what's under the "More Options" button. There's a setting there for "desaturate monitor by..." You should make sure that is not checked.

Have you confirmed that you are using the same working space in both PS and LR?

patrickjames
7-Nov-2012, 12:45
Your problem more than likely lies in the "Dot Gain 20%" setting. Switch it to 2.2.

richardman
7-Nov-2012, 12:57
LR uses something similar, but not quite Prophoto RGB space. Under photoshop, set the color space to Prophoto RGB and you should have a better match. You will need to switch to RGB mode to do that.

sully75
21-Nov-2012, 09:09
So I switched to Gamma 2.2. That seems to have solved the problem.

One thing I'm confused about. My monitor and my prints seem to match very well, but as far as I can tell, my NVIDIA video card has the monitor Gamma set to 1.0. Is that weird? I thought it was supposed to be 1.8 or 2.2.

Thanks for the help!