PDA

View Full Version : F295 Workbook now on Amazon!

tpersin
2-Nov-2012, 05:51
I'm pleased to announce that the F295 Historic Process Workbook (http://www.amazon.com/F295-Historic-Process-Workbook-Techniques/dp/0615675417/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351860049&sr=1-1&keywords=f295+historic+process) is now available on Amazon.com! It's only 56 pages, but is jammed full of information on everything from a very easy way of creating your own lens, drilling apertures, making a simple camera, 3 different ways of making negatives (including digital negatives), 4 historic processes, notes on assembling a portfolio, writing a statement, creating a series, a short timeline of process oriented photo history, and a LOT more!

One of our main drivers to get it on Amazon (it's also available at BH Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886562-REG/F295_29513_Book_The_F295_Historic.html) and Freestyle Photographic (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/29513--The-F295-Historic-Process-Workbook)) is that Amazon offers much better international shipping rates.

if you have a copy and have enjoyed it, please consider posting a review/rating to Amazon... (it can be short, but anything is appreciated!)

here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/F295-Historic-Process-Workbook-Techniques/dp/0615675417/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351860049&sr=1-1&keywords=f295+historic+process

Thanks!

Onward!
tom

jeichorn
6-Nov-2012, 16:44
Just went to Amazon and found they are temporarily out of stock. Sold out in days?

tpersin
12-Nov-2012, 10:59
Hi there - yes, it has been selling out quickly. Unfortunately, Amazon has been ordering small quantities that go quickly. I hope they'll notice this and begin stocking larger quantities.

That said, there are a few remaining from the last shipment -- it is currently available! Thanks for your patience.

Ed Bray
12-Nov-2012, 13:54
Just ordered one but it can take a while to get here.

tpersin
13-Nov-2012, 08:28
Thanks Ed! I hope you enjoy it!

wallrat
18-Nov-2012, 15:51
Just purchased! More than happy to support you guys and excited to read it!

r.e.
18-Nov-2012, 16:16
Hi Tom,

How does this differ from Christopher James's book?

Also, I would have thought that it would make sense to sell this as an e-book. How come not?

tpersin
19-Nov-2012, 08:36
Hi r.e. -
well, it's different in a number of ways. I designed The F295 Workbook to be a very inexpensive and straightforward volume that gives the necessary information in a very direct way. It's only a tiny fraction of the physical size (Jame's opus is hundreds of pages and this is a very streamlined book of only 56 pages). it doesn't have the illustrations James has, but there are links to view images online.

Here's the Table of Contents

1. A Brief Timeline of Photographic History
2. Common Practices
3. Lenses and Apertures
4. The Camera
5. Black and White Film Negatives
6. Pre-Flashed Paper Negatives
7. Simplified Digital Negatives
8. Cyanotype
9. Gum Bichromate
10. Salted Paper
11. Van Dyke Brown
12. Writing a Statement
13. Notes on Beginning a Series
14. Preparing the Portfolio

Each chapter details the best way to complete the task at hand - everything from building a camera, making a lens, making negatives, and creating prints using one of four historic processes, to writing a statement and preparing a portfolio.

Each chapter concludes with questions to check your understanding of key dates and concepts. The process chapters provide a space to affix a print and make notes so you can reproduce your success.

This workbook is an ideal and inexpensive solution for those looking for a structured approach to learning historic and hand-made photographic processes.

It's a no frills and inexpensive solution for those looking to hone their skills or get started with hand-made photography.

I haven't made it available as an eBook yet because I did a poll and found that most people whom I thought would be prospective buyers heavily favored a physical book over an eBook... I may reconsider this in the future, but for now it's print only.

Thanks for your question(s) and I hope this helps.

Best,
Tom

Ed Bray
19-Nov-2012, 11:10
Mine arrived today but I haven't had a look at it yet.