PDA

View Full Version : Older Epson scanners...

Stephanie Brim
1-Nov-2012, 13:15
The 2480 I bought from someone either here or on APUG has bit the dust. I'm looking again for another one. It dawned on me that now I need the ability to scan 5x7 film, even if I won't be scanning it to print. I may need to scan it to get help on development or other film issues, so...ergh.

What's the oldest Epson I can get that can do 5x7? Is it the 4870? I'm not really sure what all was available.

Anyway, I'm not buying new because I have a chance at a Durst 138s enlarger and I'm not taking *any* chances I won't have the funds to go get it. :P

sanking
1-Nov-2012, 13:27
The 2480 I bought from someone either here or on APUG has bit the dust. I'm looking again for another one. It dawned on me that now I need the ability to scan 5x7 film, even if I won't be scanning it to print. I may need to scan it to get help on development or other film issues, so...ergh.

What's the oldest Epson I can get that can do 5x7? Is it the 4870? I'm not really sure what all was available.

Anyway, I'm not buying new because I have a chance at a Durst 138s enlarger and I'm not taking *any* chances I won't have the funds to go get it. :P

You can scan 5X7" negatives with the 4870 and 4990, and I believe with the 1680.

Sandy

Stephanie Brim
1-Nov-2012, 17:31
Um...never mind. I just got a V750 Pro for a song.

I made sure.

Um...lucky day?

With my luck, though, they'll say it's a mistake before it ships. Going to cross fingers and toes and then give MUCHO bucks to charity this year if it actually gets here.

sully75
1-Nov-2012, 19:07
4870 works fine. I think the 4990 is very much the same but faster. The 4870 is pretty slow. But it works pretty well for me. They all use Epson Scan, which is the problem.

Stephanie Brim
1-Nov-2012, 19:23
I have to figure out where my Vuescan serial is. I should be able to redownload it if I can find it. :/

Stephanie Brim
1-Nov-2012, 20:17
I think I'm going to have to buy Silverfast this time. I'll be starting with Epson Scan, but will likely want to upgrade pretty quickly. I hated Epson Scan the last time. :/

Doug Fisher
2-Nov-2012, 10:26
Before you pay for a Silverfast upgrade, I would load the version that comes with the scanner and compare the workflow + results with the Vuescan and Epsonscan to really confirm in your mind that Silverfast will be worth the upgrade price. I think the main difference between them is workflow and how it fits with your working style. A workflow that works well for the way you work is what is going to improve your results. It is not like the software can somehow magically make the hardware have greater true optical sharpness, better dmax, etc. That is why many people find that EpsonScan works just fine for them.

Doug

Stephanie Brim
2-Nov-2012, 11:52
Oh holy cats, it's marked for shipping.

Oh, and Doug, I'm looking at the film holders at BetterScanning. Though I'm going to set up a wet darkroom, having the ability to get nice scans would be awesome. I have a decent printer, though not a *really* nice one, so it's very possible for me to produce digital negatives. I guess it's time for me to read up on the advantages to scanning wet over dry.

Ari
2-Nov-2012, 12:27
Doug's Betterscanning holders are well worth the price.

Stephanie Brim
2-Nov-2012, 12:38
I'm looking at the variable height mounting station. Since I'll be shooting mostly 4x5 and 5x7 with occasional 6x6 thrown in there, I'm sure it would work well for my needs.

Ari
2-Nov-2012, 13:47
Yes, it will.
I can tape two 4x5s or two strips of 120 to the AR glass.
The crucial part is properly adjusting the height of the holder.

sanking
2-Nov-2012, 13:56
Before you pay for a Silverfast upgrade, I would load the version that comes with the scanner and compare the workflow + results with the Vuescan and Epsonscan to really confirm in your mind that Silverfast will be worth the upgrade price. I think the main difference between them is workflow and how it fits with your working style. A workflow that works well for the way you work is what is going to improve your results. It is not like the software can somehow magically make the hardware have greater true optical sharpness, better dmax, etc. That is why many people find that EpsonScan works just fine for them.

Doug

I agree with Doug, difference between Vuescan, Silverfast and Epson Scan is primarily a question of work flow. I have used all three and did not find any difference in scan quality from the software. To get the best scan, turn off all the automatic adjustments and learn to use the scanner with manual controls or end points, density, etc. The histogram is one of your best friends in scanning, as it is in digital capture. And determine best plane of focus for your scanner. The BetterScanning holders make this very easy.

Sandy

Stephanie Brim
2-Nov-2012, 14:02
Since lots of others here have the same scanner, I'll probably find help. :D

I made a 5x7 "film holder" for the 2480 out of mat board and marked where I needed to sit it for minimum stitching hassle. It'll be nice not to have to worry about that anymore.

The only thing I'm going to need for the scanner is a USB cord, which is pretty easy to find. I still can't quite believe it and probably won't until it shows up on my stoop next week.

Stephanie Brim
9-Nov-2012, 14:17
I got the scanner today and I'm pretty happy...except for the fact that they sent a power cord that doesn't go with the scanner. I can't actually test it now until I get that next week.

Anyway, I still got a good deal. It's just taking longer than usual. Heh.