PDA

View Full Version : Source of used 8x10 holders?

Philippe Gauthier
21-Mar-2004, 20:43
Apart from eBay, what's the best source for used 8x10 holders at a fair price? Any store that currently stocks stock a few? Any user here that would have a few extra? The insane eBay bidding on these items is driving me crazy!

David R Munson
21-Mar-2004, 21:37
While I didn't see any on the site (didn't spend much time looking, either), you might try calling up Midwest Photo. You'll get about the best service around with them.

andy bettles
21-Mar-2004, 22:01
Philippe, In London,Teamwork usually has a few in good condition for (I think) about £30 each or Fotocare in Manhattan(21st St) Has a pile of decent seconhand ones at the film desk for (again I think) $40 each. Andy.

george verbryck
21-Mar-2004, 22:47
I have a bunch of extra 8x10 holders I could sell you couple they might need to be retaped. Another good source is to look in shutterbug and see when a camera show might be in your area(USA) where you could see them in person . Good luck George

Steve Hamley
22-Mar-2004, 06:54
Philippe,

Midwest Photo Exchange or Quality Camera in Atlanta. I've bought from both of them.

Steve

Kevin M Bourque
22-Mar-2004, 07:25
I bought some from Midwest a few years ago for $35. I don't know if that price is still good.

Ron Bose
22-Mar-2004, 08:05
Phillipe,

Harry's Pro shop (internet retailer) usually has some, but not right now.

Jeff at Badger is also a good source, I got some used Toyo ones from him a few months ago. His prices for new holders is also pretty good.

Bon Chance ....

Philippe Gauthier
22-Mar-2004, 08:31
Thank you all for your quick answers... This hunt is making me crazy, everyone seems to be out of stock right now; I found a grand total of ONE holder here in Montreal. I just bought the 8x10 monster, I have no holder and I can't wait until the next camera show in late April-early May; I'd like 3-4 holders to get me started.

I'll be checkin some of your suggested retailers (I already checked the most obvious ones).

John Kasaian
22-Mar-2004, 08:34
Phillipe,

You've got a lot of good recommendations(especially Midwest.) Your observation about e-bay is something I've wondered about---the prices 8x10 film holders go for is usually insane. If you're patient you can get a good deal every once and awhile, however you're often at the mercy of a seller who will jack up the delivery charge so there isn't much of a savings. I have accumulated quite a collection of both wood and plastic holders off ebay but like I said, it takes patience (and its fun!) Its far more practical to buy from merchants like Midwest. In any given stack of these old film holders, theres bound to be one or two 'stinkers'. A reputable store will let you return it for another.

Brian Ellis
22-Mar-2004, 08:53
Try the rec.photo.marketplace.large-format newsgroup and the photonet (www.photo.net) classified ads for large format equipment, there are almost always some for sale at those places.

Philippe Gauthier
22-Mar-2004, 09:58
I finally secured four film holders at a very reasonable price on Photo.net classifieds. It was easier and less hectic than staying up until midnight to watch the end of some bloated auction en eBay. I'll be waiting for the local photo show for more holders.