PDA

View Full Version : New Rule...

Mark Sawyer
1-Nov-2012, 00:49
New Rule: No fair posting images with the caveat, "This is only a test image".

Or am I being too grumpy?

Vaughn
1-Nov-2012, 01:03
Second new rule:

No posting new rules with the question, "Am I being too grumpy?"

;)

Heroique
1-Nov-2012, 03:22
Prohibited from this moment on:

Quoting the image beneath the image, beneath the image, beneath the image, beneath the image…

Stern reprimand for first infraction, mandatory dismissal for second.

:mad:

rdenney
1-Nov-2012, 04:49

Quoting the image beneath the image, beneath the image, beneath the image, beneath the image…

No complimenting, in intriguing detail, an image that may be 174 pages back in the thread, without any clue as to which image is being complimented.

Rick "at least provide a freaking link" Denney

Doremus Scudder
1-Nov-2012, 05:13

I agree whole-heartedly!

Mark,
I don't mind people labeling an image as "test" or "not final" or "in progress," etc., especially when they are looking for help for a problem printing, etc. And, let's face it, some images are tests.

Vaughn,
I think it's okay to ask the community here if one is being too grumpy (or picky or hard, etc.). Do you think I'm being too lenient?

Best,

Doremus

Vaughn
1-Nov-2012, 08:01
Vaughn,
I think it's okay to ask the community here if one is being too grumpy (or picky or hard, etc.). Do you think I'm being too lenient?

:)

Vaughn

PS...I'm with Heroique! Eight to ten copies of the same image, one right after the other is a bit much...dismissal is too good for them! Or am I being intolerant?

Jody_S
1-Nov-2012, 08:17
I generally do quote the original post with the image, for several reasons:

1) I often don't know which image someone else is talking about when they comment, and have to scroll back trying to figure that out; I sometimes don't bother so I miss the critiques.

2) I often comment on one image among several posted by a given individual; it's easier to repost that image than to spell out which one I'm talking about ("3rd image in post #...")

3) If you're going to have a substantive comment on, or critique of an image, the only way you can really appreciate what that person is talking about is if you have the comment and image both within your immediate view or attention span.

However. if someone else is already commenting on an image, I see no need to repost that same image again because all of the above conditions will not apply. I didn't know the reposting was annoying people, but I think with this group of people it would be hard to find anything in the world that isn't annoying to one member or another. Love your Dallmeyer 5B? There are people here who are annoyed by the whole 'vintage lens' thing, and even more annoyed by 'soft focus'. Tack-sharp landscape with a modern lens? I'm annoyed that all our landscapes look the same. Out of focus, 'soft' landscape with same modern lens? Someone will be annoyed with your bad technique. Never post any images? People will be annoyed that you criticize others without ever posting your own work. Can't win with a bunch of grumpy old men, so you might as well embrace your inner imp.

Vaughn
1-Nov-2012, 08:36
Actually, Jody, we're just pissed that it is not our image being reposted ad nasuem...

like this:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?44249-Large-Format-Landscapes/page584

ROL
1-Nov-2012, 09:08
Agreed, reposting images in quotes is loathsome, except when they're mine. But I always thought this was done out of ignorance by the re–poster, not being able to figure out how to edit a quote, or am I being too ignorant.

NEW RULE: NO POSTING OF ANY IMAGE!!! (The theatre of the mind being greater then any pedestrian image, much better to post only the textual blatherings of the hyper-critical, gear obsessed, web enabled illiterati.)

Caveat: This is only a TEST POST.

Jody_S
1-Nov-2012, 09:34
Actually, Jody, we're just pissed that it is not our image being reposted ad nasuem...

like this:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?44249-Large-Format-Landscapes/page584

Huh. Well, personally I am completely above all of that. I take photos for my own pleasure only, and I don't give a crap if anyone likes them, ever. That's why I post them here, where no one will ever see them.

rdenney
1-Nov-2012, 09:39
Huh. Well, personally I am completely above all of that. I take photos for my own pleasure only, and I don't give a crap if anyone likes them, ever. That's why I post them here, where no one will ever see them.

Me, too. I post mine here, so that nobody will ever like them.

Rick "frequent posting of whose images is a known carcinogen in the State of California" Denney

Mark Sawyer
1-Nov-2012, 10:55
Mark,
I don't mind people labeling an image as "test" or "not final" or "in progress," etc., especially when they are looking for help for a problem printing, etc. And, let's face it, some images are tests.

I admit it, I was just being a grump when I posted! :rolleyes:

Posting test when looking for information to sort out a problem is fine, of course, but I've noticed on this and most other groups and forums a proclivity to posting images with the comment, "just testing a new lens" or such, and it feels like the image is disqualified before I even look at it.

I'll try being less grumpy, if only as a test...

BrianShaw
1-Nov-2012, 11:43
New rule: No more new rules. :D

Jody_S
1-Nov-2012, 11:52

I object! I propose a new rule against proposals of 'no new rules'!

Vaughn
1-Nov-2012, 12:08
Rules rule the roost! And anyone breaking the rules must supply their own super-glue!

E. von Hoegh
1-Nov-2012, 14:57

Exceptio probat regulam.

jcoldslabs
1-Nov-2012, 15:23
I've noticed on this and most other groups and forums a proclivity to posting images with the comment, "just testing a new lens" or such, and it feels like the image is disqualified before I even look at it.

I'm guilty of this sometimes, but I never intend to hide my ego (or forestall criticism) behind the fact that the image is a mere test. In most cases I am trying out a new batch of old, off-beat film and I post my test shots with exposure and development info in the off-chance that it may help someone else who comes across the same film in the future and is looking for a reference point.

Jonathan

patrickjames
2-Nov-2012, 00:23
Etiquette rule-

When you comment on the image, quote the post but delete the image tag. Then everyone knows what you are talking about and the images are not repeated ad nauseum.

My 2¢

Then again I hate rules.

Steve Smith
2-Nov-2012, 04:02
Third rule: No saying "no fair" when you mean "not fair".

Steve.

BrianShaw
2-Nov-2012, 08:17

Rule 3.10: No saying "my bad".

Jim Galli
2-Nov-2012, 09:35
I admit I was scratching my head at this post?? (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?77116-Post-your-Pixies!-)&p=949145&viewfull=1#post949145) Now I see it was a reaction to something else I was clueless about.

Mark, guys in our age group can be grumpy about anything we like, any time we want. (...at this point, no one's paying any attention anyway...)

"testing; one two three fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooour five; how copy?" ;~'))

Mark Sawyer
2-Nov-2012, 10:10

Oops... my no bad fair!

E. von Hoegh
2-Nov-2012, 10:50
I admit I was scratching my head at this post?? (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?77116-Post-your-Pixies!-)&p=949145&viewfull=1#post949145) Now I see it was a reaction to something else I was clueless about.

Mark, guys in our age group can be grumpy about anything we like, any time we want. (...at this point, no one's paying any attention anyway...)

"testing; one two three fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooour five; how copy?" ;~'))

Testing: Turn that goddamn music down!

Steve Smith
2-Nov-2012, 11:49

That would be rule No. 1.

Rule No. 2 is no saying "I guess" to confirm something you are sure about.

Steve.

eddie
4-Nov-2012, 04:54
new rule:

you must only drink with your left hand!

eddie
4-Nov-2012, 05:04
new rule:

you can not say "drink, drank, or drunk"

eddie
4-Nov-2012, 05:05
new rule:

you can not slide the quarter.

eddie
4-Nov-2012, 05:05
new rule:

no pointing.

E. von Hoegh
5-Nov-2012, 08:23
new rule:

you must only drink with your left hand!

And what happens if I miss my mouth?

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2012, 10:02

inhale!

rdenney
5-Nov-2012, 10:28

We can't solve your drinking problems for you.

Rick "the first step is recognizing that you have a problem" Denney

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2012, 10:46
What problem???

rdenney
5-Nov-2012, 14:22
What problem???

Spilling one's drink down his front is certainly what I call a drinking problem.

Rick "waste of good alcohol, etc." Denney

Mark Sawyer
5-Nov-2012, 15:05
"I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink..."
- Tom Waits

Vaughn
5-Nov-2012, 17:10
Drug problem? What drug problem? My supply is adaquate.

E. von Hoegh
6-Nov-2012, 08:59
We can't solve your drinking problems for you.

Rick "the first step is recognizing that you have a problem" Denney

Ah. OK, I've switched to an IV drip. No more spillage.

John Koehrer
8-Nov-2012, 14:50
Bah, Humbug!
I'm not grumpy enough but the season approaches.

BrianShaw
8-Nov-2012, 14:55
Today I'm grumpy enough for the both of us!

ROL
9-Nov-2012, 09:46
Drug problem? What drug problem? My supply is adaquate.

Finally, a reason we can believe as to why you live in Humboldt County.