PDA

View Full Version : ICC profiles

Gabriele Campagnano
31-Oct-2012, 03:38
Hi All,

I would like to crate icc profiles for my Epson printer (that I am using with 3rd part inks) using my Epson 3200 scanner.
At the moment I have the simple Kodak checker Q-13. I would like to do so without investing
any money and of course I do not expect anything very accurate. Could you point me
some good reference? (keep in mind that I am a complete beginner in color management)

thanks,
Gabriele

Brian Ellis
31-Oct-2012, 05:50
Why would you want to create your own profiles that you don't expect to be very accurate? Color accuracy or predictability is pretty much the point of having profiles.

FWIW I've never found a need to create my own printer profiles or pay someone to do it for me. The Epson profiles for Epson papers and the paper manufacturers' profiles for other papers have worked fine with the papers I've used (Moab Entrada, Hahnemuhle rag, various Epson papers among others) and printers (various Epsons, currently a 3800). If I was working in a lab and my colors had to exactly match those of my co-workers or if I was doing commercial work where color perfection was required it might be different. But for normal photography printing I haven't found it necessary.

You don't say what model printer you're using but have you tried using the Epson paper profiles or those supplied by the manufacturer of whatever other paper you're using?

Peter De Smidt
31-Oct-2012, 05:57
To make good profiles, you'd need a system like the the Spyder4Print or similar. If you don't want to buy one of these, then there are a number of places that'll have you print off some targets and they'll make the profile for you.

DennisD
31-Oct-2012, 06:31
Color printing without good profiles will only lead to frustration for you. You can easily waste paper that will exceed the cost of a custom profile if that's what you need.

However, as noted above by Brian Ellis, you should be able to obtain stock profiles from the paper manufacturer's website, especially if you have an Epson or Canon printer.

In the case of third party inks you may have more difficulty. you might have to rely on the ink supplier or obtain profiles thru another user if the same ink who has done the profiling for the same paper already.

I had some custom profiles done for me last year by Eric Chan and they were excellent. I've heard he's no longer doing these, but perhaps he's turned this over to someone else or can recommend someone. Just google his name or "Madmanchan".

You will not regret getting a proper and decent profile for the paper you're using, even if you have to go custom.

Dennis

Gabriele Campagnano
31-Oct-2012, 06:34
thanks for you answers.
Brian, I am using an Epson R2880, the problem is that I am using some third part ink set that are not supplied with icc profiles.
I meant that using what I have I do not expect to obtain very accurate results, but still better than what I am getting now.
Peter, I am located in south Italy, so what you mention is unfortunately not an option for me.

Peter De Smidt
31-Oct-2012, 06:43
Peter, I am located in south Italy, so what you mention is unfortunately not an option for me.
Why not? Sending a few pages overseas is no problem at all. And there shouldn't be any problem getting a profile made in the EU. For instance, you might try contacting Ernst Dinkla, http://www.pigment-print.com/. If he won't do it for you, he'll know someone who can.

Greg Miller
31-Oct-2012, 07:40
Have you calibrated your monitor with a good calibration device? If not then creating printer profiles is largely a waste of time. You need to first calibrate your monitor so that your monitor is displaying colors as accurately as possible. Only then can you expect prints made with a good printer profile to match what you see on your monitor.

Gabriele Campagnano
31-Oct-2012, 09:44
I did calibrate my monitor. Actually the point of my question was whether it is possible to
create "home made" icc profiles without relying on expansive equipment or external
services.

Peter De Smidt
31-Oct-2012, 11:06
Unlikely.

Larry Gebhardt
31-Oct-2012, 11:09
I did calibrate my monitor. Actually the point of my question was whether it is possible to
create "home made" icc profiles without relying on expansive equipment or external
services.

No, you can't create good profiles using a scanner. Monaco tried it years ago with EZ-Color and the results were terrible. You need spectrophotometer for profiling a paper. I have found the Color Munki decent and not too expensive if you want to do it yourself.

Gabriele Campagnano
1-Nov-2012, 05:04
Thanks all, at least I won't be wasting my time....