PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 lens

octagon
19-Mar-2004, 22:57
Dear Sir: I have a calumet C 8x10. Can I use a Fuji 600mm for portrait work? Sincerely, Jerry Cunningham

Michael S. Briggs
20-Mar-2004, 03:07
Jerry, If you want a more specific answers than those you have already received on the other forum (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007ib7) you need to tell us how much of the person you want to include in your portraits. A tight crop? An environmental? After that, it is the simple equation in the existing answer vs the maximum bellows extension of your camera.

Gem Singer
20-Mar-2004, 07:22
Hi Jerry,

The answer to your question is yes, you can---maybe. The things you need to determine are: does your camera have enough bellows extension to allow you to focus as close as 15-25 feet with a 600mm lens? ; do you have enough room available in your work space to place your subject at portrait distance from the camera? ; do you have long enough arms to focus a 600mm lens at closer distances, while looking through the ground glass?; do you want a very tight image of the face, showing every blemish and wrinkle?; do you want the eyes to be in sharp focus, while the remainder of the face is slightly out of focus?

If the answer to all of these questions is yes, you can use your Fuji 600C for portraits. If the answer is no, use a shorter lens for portraits, preferably one with soft focus. Or, place your subject on a distant hill side and make an environmental photograph which includes a human subject. However, it will no longer be a portrait.

Ralph Barker
20-Mar-2004, 23:29
Personally, I prefer a 450mm for portraits on 8x10. I'd suggest you measure your bellows extension before you buy the 600mm. You'll need somewhere around 900-1000mm of bellows extension to work at tight head shot distances with the 600mm lens. Plus, at 5' and f/22, you'll have 1" of DOF. Kinda tight.