PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the new Badger Brand wooden field camera are now posted.

Gem Singer
19-Mar-2004, 11:01
I just checked the Badger Graphic website, and pictures of the new F-1 Badger Brand 4X5 wooden field camera have been posted.

There is no mention of the type of materials used to build the camera, nor the maximum bellows extension. It says that it can take a 360mm lens. I assume that means a Nikon 360 tele. I would guess, about 300mm. of bellows and brass plated metal.

The camera appears to be a close copy of the Japanese Tachihara, probably made in China. It is priced slightly below the Shen Hao and the Tachi. The camera is relatively light weight, comes with a folding focusing hood/ ground glass protector, and certainly looks nice in the photos.

David Karp
19-Mar-2004, 11:05
Thanks Eugene, I have been curious.

Donald Hutton
19-Mar-2004, 11:12
Looks a bit like a Tachi... but it appears to have a Graflock back! That's a pretty huge difference!

Kerry L. Thalmann
19-Mar-2004, 11:26
From the pictures (I haven't had my hands on one, yet)...

It has features in common with both the Tachihara and the Shen Hao, but is definitely not a copy of either. As Donald mentioned, it has a Grafloc back, like the Shen Hao. It has more rear movements than the Tachihara (shift), but less than the Shen Hao (no rear rise or rear axis tilt). Like the Shen Hao, it appears to have both base and axis tilt on the front. I'm not a big fan of pop-up focusing hoods in general, but the one of the F1 looks more usable than the Shen Hao hood, and it's included in the price of the camera and easily removable. The fact the it has a Grafloc back, and comes with the focusing hood, makes the $550 price quite attractive. Looks like there is a new option for those looking for an affordable field camera.

Kerry

Gem Singer
19-Mar-2004, 15:18
Just from looking at the pictures, it appears that this camera uses a springing mechanism for the groundglass frame that is very similar to the one that Ebony uses. The ability to slide the rear standard forward when using a wide angle lens is similar to the method that Gandolfi uses. The lever-type locks on the front standard look similar to the ones that Wista uses.

You might say that this camera borrowed features from nearly all of the wooden flat bed folding field cameras in the marketplace, and added a few of its own. Now, if the build quality is there (??), it just may turn out to be a winner.

Gem Singer
19-Mar-2004, 15:28
P.S.

The price just dropped to $525. That's going to be hard to beat for a new 4X5 flat bed field camera. Even one made out of plastic (carbon fiber).

Sam
19-Mar-2004, 15:37
Anyone live in the area to check it out? I was all set to order a Shen Hao until I saw this. Its lighter, comes with a focusing hood, Grafloc back and a fresnel. Now I really don't know what to do.

Frank Petronio
19-Mar-2004, 19:38
If it is at all decent it's game over for the other entry-level view camera makers!

Ken Cravillion
19-Mar-2004, 21:25
I have one in my possesion. I live 20 minutes away from Badger. Jeff let me borrow one to review and compare to my Shen-Hao for my website. I'll let you guys know tomorrow when I've had more time to play with it. I'll have it thru Thursday.

Gem Singer
20-Mar-2004, 12:19
Ken,

If it is possible, please weigh the camera, along with the folding focusing hood and lensboard, and include it in your review.

Also, if possible, determine the type of wood and metal used in the construction, as well as the type and quality of the finish. Thanks.

Ken Cravillion
20-Mar-2004, 12:33
Here is the prelim. review (http://www.kgcphoto.com/Reviews%20&%20Tutorials/badger_brand_f-1.htm)

I will go weigh the camera now and add it to the review.

David Karp
20-Mar-2004, 16:34
Thanks Ken.

Brian Ellis
21-Mar-2004, 18:03
270mm of bellows extension would be a big drawback to me. The Tachihara weighs a pound or so less and has 13 inches of bellows. Also has an excellent Fresnel lens. It does lack some of the movements this camera has but those movements aren't critical for landscape and many other kinds of work. Personally I'd happily trade 2+ more inches of bellows for back shift, rise, or fall. Just my opinion of course. It certainly is a pretty camera. I was surprised when reading the review to see that the Shen Hao only had 12 inches of bellows. I thought it was more than that.

Dave Moeller
21-Mar-2004, 19:47
The Shen-Hao can easily go out to 360mm (just over 14"). See www.michelevacchiano.com/shenhao/shenhao.htm for a good picture of how to do this.

Gem Singer
21-Mar-2004, 19:53
Brian,

According to Ken's actual measurement, the Shen Hao has 375mm (approx. 15 inches) of bellows extension, when using a combination of base tilts and axis tilts on the front and rear. In my experience, the only difficulty with using that much extension is the loss of rigidity on the front standard, especially when using a heavier weight, lens mounted in a Copal 1 shutter.

The Badger F-1 does not have rear rise, but it does have a small amount of rear shift. Rare in a wooden field camera in that price range.

The Shen Hao has an interchangeable bellows for use with wide angle lenses. A nice feature. The Shen Hao's hand rubbed teak wood is a heavier weight wood, but very durable.

IMHO the Shen Hao is worth the additional $74 difference in price (it's priced at $599, at Midwest Photo Exchange).

Dave Moeller
22-Mar-2004, 04:31
Eugene-

An interesting point. I saw Ken's review when it first appeared, but missed the note about going out to 375mm with the Shen-Hao. I've never tried to extend my Shen-Hao using the tilts on the rear; I'll have to play with that a bit. Moving the front standard all of the way out does leave the front standard a little bit less rigid than I like, but with care I've been able to use my Fujinon 250/6.3 (not a light lens) successfully for indoor work. I haven't tried to extend it that far in the field yet.

I do have to say that I'm impressed with the flexibility of the F-1 for the price. More than anything I think I'm interested in hearing how it holds up under use. It's always good to see competition among camera makers.