PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from CT/NY

StoneNYC
26-Oct-2012, 16:07
So I haven't officially delved into LF, I've been shooting for 18 years, all 35mm and MF and I'm considering it as I love landscape photography.

I live in CT and do my business throughout the New England and NY area.

I came here to read and learn for now, and perhaps purchase some gear (in 30 days when I'm allowed to see the sales area haha).

I think that's it, thanks!

~Stone

36cm2
27-Oct-2012, 06:46
Welcome. You'll find this to be an amazing forum, both in terms of its members and the knowledgeable help they provide. Look around a while and search past posts before you start buying, but by all means do go LF, it's great stuff.

All the best,
Leo

eddie
27-Oct-2012, 07:37
welcome from kingston ny.

e

StoneNYC
28-Oct-2012, 14:50
Thanks guys!

I'm still debating, it's mostly the film cost. Of course the equipment cost too, I would want a good lens that would make the resolution worth the upgrade from my MF cameras. I realize there's a ton of perspective control with a field camera, and more with a rail camera, but which to go for, I want to do more landscape, but how much control is necessary? Etc etc etc... :)

Eric Rose
29-Oct-2012, 08:59
Film cost for B&W anyway isn't much of a concern because you tend to shoot fewer frames. You can also get MF roll backs for LF so you can get all the movements but still use MF film if you like.

StoneNYC
1-Nov-2012, 15:16
Film cost for B&W anyway isn't much of a concern because you tend to shoot fewer frames. You can also get MF roll backs for LF so you can get all the movements but still use MF film if you like.

That's true (about fewer frames) and even with the initial cost of new larger developing tanks and backs etc, it's still relatively expensive to just JUMP into. And I feel like it's kind of a lot to get into and then only shoot 120... So I'd want some 4x5's. so unless donations happen, my ideal, I'm looking for a full field camera setup with a bunch of 4x5 film holders for under $400 including the lens. I'm looking for a steal, I'm aware, but it's out there, there's many on eBay for $400 but I want even less, and them I just need to buy the tank developing stuff which I'm not even familiar with, do they make daylight style sheet film tanks? Or do I need a full darkroom tray setup?

I'll continue to look around, thanks guys :)