PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to SKGrimes

Daniel Stone
19-Oct-2012, 20:00
Just wanted to give a shout-out publicly to Adam and Joel @ SKGrimes.

Today I took receipt of a lensboard adapter for my KMV, so I can use standard Sinar-sized boards...

Not "cheap", but the machining is top-notch and the finish is wonderful. I get that "its been done right" feeling now, vs prior times when attempting to go "cheap".

Affixing 4 flanges to boards rounded out the deal, along with 2(gotta have a backup ;)) new tripod threaded bushings to replace the original(and very stripped) one. Again, all top notch. 6 o'clock positions as marked were lined up perfectly as requested on boards.

This was my first deal with them, and took just around 8 weeks from start to finish. Definitely worth the wait!

Now to load some holders and shoot some film, too much time spent with this "miniature" formats like 6x4.5!

-Dan

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/mr_danielstone/KMV1.jpg

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/mr_danielstone/KMV2.jpg

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/mr_danielstone/KMV3.jpg

Cletus
19-Oct-2012, 20:09
Thanks for the 'review' - been thinking about SKG for some stuff of my own lately, it helps to see their work in the hands of a happy customer. ...nice triple convertible lens too! (if that's what it is).

Daniel Stone
19-Oct-2012, 21:26
Yup, its an early triple-convertible symmar, and is a dagor clone of sorts.

Very sharp corner to corner, and even works well for color shooting!

Kit is now complete, time to make photographs uninhibited by equipment needs.

Dan

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2012, 21:56
If I wasn't a Sinar/Linhof bigot I'd like that outfit Dan, it looks really sweet on the Ries.

Thom Bennett
19-Oct-2012, 22:18
We have work done by S.K. Grimes from time to time and have always been very pleased. A couple of weeks ago the receptionist paged me: "Adam Dau is here to see you." Adam was in town and dropped by the studio to say hello! Had a great visit with him. Now that's personal service!

Daniel Stone
20-Oct-2012, 00:14
If I wasn't a Sinar/Linhof bigot I'd like that outfit Dan, it looks really sweet on the Ries.

Ya, wasn't planning on getting a Reis(I intentionally mis-spelled it, since that's how the eBay listing had it posted) tripod, but by me simply misspelling the name in a general search, it came up with 15mins to go ;)! Let's just say I got a deal compared to a new one. One of the collars needed to be replaced, so I called up Ries and they said they had a few in a drawer, they had (2), so I got both of them... The tripod has seen some use, I think it was a surveyors tripod, hence the degree markings on the crown. The head I got new, at the same time as the leg collars w/ hardware... But this tripod is a solid performer, and should provide YEARS of dependable service IMO.

Dan

C. D. Keth
20-Oct-2012, 00:59

I thought a master view like that would be right up your no nonsense alley, Frank.

Brian Ellis
20-Oct-2012, 05:16
They've always done top-notch work for me, expensive but top-notch. When Steve died I thought their service might fall off but not a bit that I've seen.

Frank Petronio
20-Oct-2012, 07:09
I thought a master view like that would be right up your no nonsense alley, Frank.

I do like them ~ played with one but couldn't afford it years ago. They seem like what a Deardorff should have been if the design didn't stagnant.

Two23
20-Oct-2012, 13:44
I just sent my tiny little 3.5 inch FFL Petzval to them to make an F-mount adapter for my Nikon. This is my first time sending them anything.

Kent in SD

Diane Maher
21-Oct-2012, 08:33
I sent an old Crown Anastigmat Series I lens in a compound shutter to Grimes in 2007 (can't believe it has been that long!) which only needed a piston to make it functional again and they were able to get the part for me off another shutter. This is one of my most used lenses for my whole plate camera and is so cool with the bulb release. :) I should see about getting a more standard board drilled for it so I can use it on my 8x10 (with a whole plate reducing back).

pierre506
22-Oct-2012, 18:14
Beautiful works~

welly
22-Oct-2012, 18:43
Looks excellent. I've been in touch with them to build me a Linhof to Toyo adapter so I can use my lenses on both my Toyo 45AX and Cambo 4x5/8x10 cameras. Not a cheap adapter but the quality looks great.

DennisD
27-Oct-2012, 07:49
Recently had Grimes do a lens cleaning and shutter CLA on a 30 yr old Symmar lens.

The lens had developed some internal haze, front and back, fortunately no fungus. Upon return, the lens looked like new and shutter was perfect. You would never know the lens had been totally disassembled.

They certainly maintained their "A" rating with me !

dap
27-Oct-2012, 09:01
I have had a couple things made by SK Grimes the last couple of years. The workmanship is top notch. I compared one of the adapter boards I had made with an older Sk Grimes board and the newer one actually looks to be a bit better made so I wouldn't worry about the quality of work produced by the "new" SK Grimes.

AuditorOne
27-Oct-2012, 09:22
They recently cleaned a couple of 4x5 Tessars I use with my RB Auto Graflex. They also machined a flange for one of them and mounted it to a lens board. Top Notch Work.