PDA

View Full Version : tungsten diffusion

tim atherton
16-Mar-2004, 15:32
I rarely work with tungsten lights, but I may be having to use some to shoot some variously sized objects.

What's the best type of diffusion material to use for tungsten - by Lee? etc - that isn't likely to catch fire if it ends up too close to the light. I'll have to order it over the internet as I can't go into a store and poke around - so it will help if I know what I'm looking for

thanks

David R Munson
16-Mar-2004, 16:40
Well, how close is close? I think you'd be pretty safe with Trans-Lum. You can get it via FilmTools (filmtools.com last time I checked).

Ernest Purdum
16-Mar-2004, 18:07
If you can use something limp, I wonder if fiberglass cloth might not work for you. It at least has the virtue of being very much less expensive than some of the other (and perhaps more convenient) alternatives. You could get a yard or so and throw it away if you weren't happy with it. If you search "fiberglass" you'll find several mail order suppliers if you don't have a convenient marine supply. It's rather nasty stuff to handle, but it doesn't catch fire.

andy bettles
16-Mar-2004, 22:57
Tim, It totally depends on what tungsten lights you are using,what effect you want ,whether you want the diffusion to be placed over the lights or to form a 'tent' structure over the objects you are photographing. I think the main factor is that you need to have the stuff sent to you . If you are placing diffusion over a tungsten source it will give you a very small area of light that the subject is 'seeing',It will also limit you to a material that will withstand heat . Experiment with placing an area of diffusion away from the light source in a similar fashion to a 'softbox',but the advantage of tungsten lighting is that you can alter the amount and quality of light that the subject sees.You can focus the light on that diffusion for a really hard light or soften it down to get a more subtle effect, For the ultimate control get a set of lights that you can alter the focus of, redheads/arri fresnel's/dedo's etc. I use a translucent thermo-plastic from an industrial plastic suppliers in manhattan,which has enough rigidity that I can form shapes around objects and mould light around them.Any heavy frost would do the same but would also have the advantage of being heat resistant. The control that you can achieve with tungsten is unbelievable in comparison to flash,it really is a question of taming the beast. Think small light -long exposure..... good luck. Andy.

RichSBV
16-Mar-2004, 23:14
I honestly don't know why I'm poking my nose in here cause I'm not a 'photographer'...

But my first thought is why shoot through? Why not reflect? 30 years ago I would have pulled out my umbrellas. Nowadays there that foam board. A white sheet?

Unless you're looking for a more focused light? Then I wouldn't have any ideas...

James Driscoll
16-Mar-2004, 23:25
Rosco makes a whole line of diffusion material for tungstun lights for photo/film and stage use. You can pick them up online at B&H and probably other places if you do a search. They are very cheap....something around $5.00 for a sheet. If I remember correctly the product line is called "Tuff Spun"....but I always just asked for "diffusion" and that is what I got.

You should also pick up a roll of cine-foil....great for making cookies and snoots if you have to. Expensive ($30 a roll) but a roll will last years.....

The whole inventory....and probably a list of dealers....http://www.rosco.com/main.html

jantman
17-Mar-2004, 14:47
The first thing that pops into my mind is Rosco. They're used almost universally on cinema sets, and they'll stand up to any heat that you'll throw at them (I believe that cinegels are rated at something like 300 degrees F).

The Cinegels and their other line (I forget the name) are $5.95 at B&H. I use the "frost" most of the time. For free Rosco will send you a swatchbook with samples of all their filters.

Ellis Vener
19-Mar-2004, 08:41
Both Lee and Rosco makea variety of diffusion materials in different strengths of different effects that are non yellowing and heat resistant and color neutral.