PDA

View Full Version : 210mm f6.3 Commercial Osaka

Fotoguy20d
17-Oct-2012, 16:10
Can anyone tell me anything about this lens? Is it a clone of the Commercial Ektar? In what way is it any better than, say, a B&L Tessar IIb (aside from coating)? I bought it for the Copal shutter (so I could mount a 210mm G-Claron). Presumably, if I'm looking for a Plasmat, the Osaka Tessar won't compare to the Claron. Is it the equal of the Ilex Acutar? I have a rediculous number of 8" range lenses - I want to keep one Plasmat (Nikkor) and one other/small lens for hiking (two actually). I was planning on the G-Claron, as well as a Kodak Anastigmat (203mm f7.7 Ektar without the coating). Is this lens worth considering. I really don't feel like conducting a lens test to find out so anyone's experience with this lens is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

karl french
17-Oct-2012, 16:30
Well, I have a 360mm f6.8 Osaka Commercial which I love. Beautiful creamy tonality on 8x10 film.

Dan Fromm
17-Oct-2012, 17:57
Dan, I'm sorry, but with aged lenses so much depends on condition that the only way to choose among a bunch is to shoot 'em all. My 210/6.3 Prinz (= Commercial Congo, confirmed by Yamasaki) may be worse than, as good as, better than yours. And mine has a lousy front surface but still shoots acceptably.

f/6.3 Commercial Congos and Ilex Acutars are both very similar to Commercial Ektars. Yamasaki's quality control is supposed to be so-so, but I don't have enough experience with their lenses to know how true the vile rumor is.

My f/6.3 B&L IIbs (most ancient and uncoated, one late and coated, no 8 inchers among 'em) are good enough but IMO a decent f/5.6 Plasmat (I have some with roughly matching focal lengths) is preferable unless weight is very important.

Good luck, have fun, accept your fate,

Dan

Joseph Dickerson
18-Oct-2012, 08:16
You might get more information from Ted Bromwell. He imports, or used to, the Osaka (it's his house brand) cameras and lenses. Cameras are Tachihara, or an identical clone, and I believe the lenses are indeed Congos.

He does/did business as Bromwell Marketing. Nice person to deal with btw!

JD