PDA

View Full Version : DIY Dark Cloth

tenderobject
16-Oct-2012, 12:24
Anyone here had DIY dark cloth? i'm thinking of making one because the one i'm using is a bit funny :D grabbed it from my 3 year old kid. :D
Would you share your DIT darkcloth dimension? preferrably for 4x5. i used speed graphic and it's PITA when using it with a wide lens! :(

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/12902_534541693226196_1098002742_n.jpg

thanks guys!

vinny
16-Oct-2012, 12:26
cute.
yes.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95394-Black-jacket-focusing-cloth-users&highlight=diy+darkcloth
scroll down

tenderobject
16-Oct-2012, 12:27
thanks a lot vinny! :)

cute.
yes.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95394-Black-jacket-focusing-cloth-users&highlight=diy+darkcloth
scroll down

tenderobject
16-Oct-2012, 12:44
haha this video is funny! nice idea! i think i have jacket like that but it's too small :D

http://youtu.be/XAwIWZ9H3ZU

Malcolm E. Sharp
17-Oct-2012, 03:25
A capable mother/wife/girlfriend is essential to making a quality dark cloth. I asked my Mum to make a dark cloth from blackout curtain fabric.

The darkcloth is made from a single rectangular piece of fabric measuring roughly 30"x40", folded in half lengthways and sewn down one end. The other end was sewn back on itself about 1" to form a pocket for a loop of elastic (This end stretches over the camera back)
Finally, the bottom edge is sealed shut with velcro.

It's a simple design but works quite well.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

jp
17-Oct-2012, 03:53
I use my jacket/windbreaker/shirt. (I wear a t-shirt under my shirt, so it's really not a big distraction)

MIke Sherck
17-Oct-2012, 06:10
I made one years ago when I started LF: 40" long by as wide as the roll of fabric would let me, about 42" If I remember rightly. A white piece of fabric and a black one: I sewed it together by hand one evening while sort of watching TV. It's still in use and works excellently up through 11x14.

A few years ago my oldest daughter made me a new one as I wanted something smaller and lighter for my new (to me) F64 backpack. Black interior with a red, yellow and orange exterior that makes it look like I'm on fire. Very pleased with both of them and they're super easy to make. I spray them with waterproofing goop every few years.

Mike

Stephanie Brim
23-Oct-2012, 19:33
I have a linen skirt that was obviously made for someone with less hips than I have. I'm taking it apart, sewing some blackout fabric on the *outside*, and sewing the elastic back in one end. Voila, awesome dark cloth that works well, cost me very little money, and is more comfortable than other things I could do. It'll be UGLY AS SIN, though, due to the fact that it'll be white instead of black.

Maybe I should get some fabric dye and dye the fabric side of the blackout fabric.

Winger
23-Oct-2012, 19:46
My mom and I made one using fairly dense black fabric on the inside and silver stuff meant for ironing boards on the outside. On one end, we put a channel with a drawstring through it and along the sides that meet to make it a tube, we put velcro. I mostly use it with a Cambo monorail and I tighten it down with the drawstring. When I use it with my Speed Graphic, I mostly just toss it over my head (or I use a black hooded sweatshirt I have).

C. D. Keth
23-Oct-2012, 23:18
For 4x5, I've been won over by the double t-shirt dark cloth. It's great for so many reasons.

dave_whatever
24-Oct-2012, 02:47
For 4x5, I've been won over by the double t-shirt dark cloth. It's great for so many reasons.

Ditto. I put an elastic drawcord in the hem of mine to hold it onto the camera. So much lighter and more practical than the huge old square darkcloth designs (and I use the word "designs" in the loosest sense).

Doremus Scudder
25-Oct-2012, 02:24
I made one from white Gore-Tex fabric and a lightweight black, non-slippery liner. It is about 36x48 inches. I had a shoemaker sew Velcro on the edges, with hook and loop on opposite edges, after folding the cloth lengthwise (my sewing machine was not up to the task).

The cloth is perhaps a bit large, but is waterproof, lightweight, seals up around any camera with the Velcro to make a very dark environment, and doubles as a poncho in inclement weather.

I like white on the outside as it keeps one much cooler in hot weather. I have saved a camera or two from breaking waves by simply tossing the darkcloth over the camera to cover it as the water comes crashing down. Then, I shake off the cloth and keep working.

Best,

Doremus

Randy
1-Nov-2012, 19:42
For my 5X7 Eastman 33a I use a black T-shirt inside a light grey T-shirt. The bottom of the shirt fits snugly over the camera back, I slip my head through the head hole and then my hands through the arm holes. Since I have not sewn the shirts together, sometimes I miss and my hands end up between the shirts, then the shirt bottom slips off of the back of the camera, or I drop my loupe and have to start the process all over again. Makes for a very frustrating day of composing and focusing. You should give it a try.

For my 8X10 I use my trusty old Zone VI heavy cloth that I bought from them in the mid 80's - black on one side and white on the other with weights in the corners.

Tobywan
11-Nov-2012, 07:02
I asked my wife to make me one 48"x42". Used blackout material on the inside and because I do a lot of landscapes with cows, she used black and white Holstein material on the outside!

Vaughn
11-Nov-2012, 08:54
'nuff said...

A capable mother/wife/girlfriend is essential to making a quality dark cloth...Malcolm.

I asked my wife to make me one 48"x42". Used blackout material on the inside and because I do a lot of landscapes with cows, she used black and white Holstein material on the outside!

Anyway...my darkcloth is 3'x4'. It is a store-bought (Calumet), black on one side, white on the other, no weights, no velcro. Nice and simple...a little heavier material and not slippery, so it tends to stay put. I do carry a couple of Aussie clothes pegs ('pins' in the USA) to hold the cloth to the camera in breezier conditions. A bit over-size for 4x5, but it doubles as padding in the pack, thus saves me some weight. I use it for my 8x10 now, a little on the small side, but quite usable...but not really big enough for the 11x14. So you might consider sizing the cloth so that you can grow into it!

evan clarke
11-Nov-2012, 13:18
I make all of mine. Go to the fabric store, buy black and white Gabardine, sew them together in the appropriate size. They hang in a nice, silky fashion..

patrickjames
11-Nov-2012, 14:41
I prefer stiffer fabrics for dark cloths. I have made a few and the heavier ones are the better ones. Cotton is better in this regard as well. Heavier fabrics don't blow around as much. If you are going to be carrying it hiking though you may want to factor in the weight of it. The one I use the most probably weighs about a pound due to the weight of the cloth.

Enzo Dizono
15-Nov-2012, 09:05
Our first dark cloth wasn't a big succes. To small, to thin and not blocking enough light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut56zMPwY8o&feature=youtu.be

So, made a new one. Actually my first time behind a sewing machine and i can't say my dark cloth is perfectly square...

What you see is the matte gray inside, the outside is shiny black :cool:

Dan Henderson
15-Nov-2012, 13:05

+ for a black t shirt. No double for me though. A black, heavyweight XXL t shirt. I have never had a problem seeing the image on my ground glass no matter how bright the sun. Lighter to carry around, breathes in hot weather. Best feature is a large logo on the back advertising Fire Chief Beer.

Doremus Scudder
16-Nov-2012, 03:59

Hope that Holstein bull doesn't find you overly attractive in that get-up! :rolleyes:

Doremus