PDA

View Full Version : Eastman No 2 Tripod Block

pound
15-Oct-2012, 19:04
I was wondering why they made the front and back rails to have 3 slots until i realized that one of the slot is for a sliding tripod block which i do not have for my Eastman No 2.

I found this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?63560-WTM-(Want-To-Make)-Eastman-Kodak-2D-Tripod-Block-in-3D!-Pictures-anyone) which has some useful photos of the block. I will attempt to make one soon.

I have limited woodworking knowledge. Is there any reason to make the block out of 3 pieces of wood using joints as seen in here rather than using a solid piece of wood?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41965&d=1276737570
(photo by mr Jim C as posted in the other thread linked above).

Jim C.
15-Oct-2012, 19:16
I don't see any reason why a solid piece wouldn't work, other than the solid piece warping,
clamping action is from the two L shaped pieces which are a bit loose even tho they're held in
place with two screws. loosen the thumb nut to slide and tighten the thumb nut to hold.
the rod pulls the two L plates together, also note the pin in the rod that keeps it from spinning
as you loosen or tighten.

Jim Jones
16-Oct-2012, 07:36
Several pieces of wood are often used to reduce warping and prevent splitting. In most applications plywood works well.

Harold_4074
16-Oct-2012, 15:23
Another reason for not using solid wood is that with the grain running across, the screws wouild be going into end grain (which it not very good for strength). If the grain ran lengthwise, screw holding would not be an issue, but warpage, and possibly splitting, would be. Using the tongue-and-groove end cap construction of the original, there is a large amount of face grain for the glue joints, and the optimum grain orientation hold for both the main block and the end caps.

Ron Stowell
16-Oct-2012, 15:30
I have one of these on hand, it fits the 8 x10, send me a PM if interested.

Ralph Barker
23-Nov-2012, 17:30
The narrow strips at either end of the original are likely what woodworkers refer to as "breadboard ends". They are typically joined to the main piece with two or three small tenons that project into corresponding mortices in the "breadboard" pieces, and pinned through elongated holes in the tenons, rather than being glued. This allows for cross-grain expansion without affecting the attachment screws for the metal strips that fit into the grooves on the camera base.

Using plywood for the center piece, and full-length (glued) tongue-and-groove joinery would be an acceptable alternative.