PDA

View Full Version : Omega D5XL vs Beseler 45 MCRX

Bill, 70's military B&W
14-Oct-2012, 09:51
I'm just setting up my darkroom and I'm having trouble with my Dichro 45 Color Computer, it is on a Beseler 45 MCRX. The Beseler was stored for years in a garage in Florida, I think there is fungus in a few small places on the condenser glass.

I found a Omega D5XL w/Super Chromega D Dichroic II head for sale.

Fixing/replacing my Beseler is the cheapest/easiest route, I could get a cold head for it, I could replace the Dichro Computer Head with a mechanical Dichro head. Both of these are cheaper than buying the Omega.

A couple of questions, is the Omega a real step up from the beater Besler? (which works, ?fungus? will that affect the image? it is small and I cleaned it off).
Is it worth considering the Omega? Is there really a difference between the two?

What would be a fair price for an Omega D5XL w/Super Chromega D Dichroic II head? It is a road trip for me but I do not mind.

Are the negative carriers interchangeable between Beseler and Omega? I just ordered ANR glass for the Beseler.

Thanks, Bill

Andrew Tymon
14-Oct-2012, 11:43
Just clean off the fungus and see how it works.

bigdog
14-Oct-2012, 12:41
I went from the Omega to Beseler. I considered it an "upgrade", but others may differ. They are both good machines. However, if it is, indeed, cheaper to fix your Beseler, or even get a new head for it, I would do that. I recommend the simpler color head.

No, neg carriers or lens boards are not really interchangeable.

I still have my D5xl with the Dichro II head. I offered it a while back for $200 with all kinds of neg carriers and lens boards, and got no takers. Just FYI.

Bill, 70's military B&W
14-Oct-2012, 17:24
Bigdog, thanks for your input, I've had some PM's and basically they say that both are good machines. So I'll probably be staying with the Beseler and putting a few bucks into fixing it up.

Bill

Bill, 70's military B&W
16-Oct-2012, 17:48
I bought a Beseler 45S, on e-bay, a straight mechanical color head, so I'm staying with the Beseler.
If I have this right, the color head gives almost the same effects as a 'cold light', IS THAT TRUE???
So now I have both condenser and color head, my the ANR glass should be here soon.
I'm just about ready to start shooting... all my lenses are at Flutot's being CLA'd, BUT SOON!!!
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and help,
Bill

mikebarger
16-Oct-2012, 18:20
I had both and sold the D5.

RedSun
17-Oct-2012, 07:47
I'd get the D5 and sell the Beseler....

bigdog
17-Oct-2012, 09:37
I bought a Beseler 45S, on e-bay, a straight mechanical color head, so I'm staying with the Beseler.
If I have this right, the color head gives almost the same effects as a 'cold light', IS THAT TRUE???
So now I have both condenser and color head,

The dichro head is similar in effect to a cold light. Both are diffused light sources, as opposed to the condensers.

You did good (by my criteria) :cool:

Robert Budding
17-Oct-2012, 10:14
I used both quite a bit before I decided to by an Omega D5V.