PDA

View Full Version : Does Sinar P2 Uses the Same Rail Clamp(s)?

RedSun
10-Oct-2012, 12:18
Does P2 use the same rail clamps as in F1/F2 and X? Also I remember P2 can have two rail clamps???

Drew Wiley
10-Oct-2012, 12:33
All the rails and rail clamps are interchangable, even clear back to the Norma series. Two
rail clamps can sometimes be helpful, connected to an intermediate bar, if you have esp
long bellows extensions and want extra support. But that is irrespective of the model.
There is also a deluxe rail clamp which fastens over the top as well as underneath, which is more resistant to slipping than the standard one.

rdenney
10-Oct-2012, 12:39
The F+ is different than the F in that it uses the same rail clamp as the P of that era (the 70's).

Later, the P2 could also be provided with a rail clamp that folds completely over the top of the rail. That one is stiffer and is not as subject to tiny movements as it is tightened. But it's not common and it was not provided with the standard or expert F2 and P2 kits over most of their lives. My 90's Sinar literature shows the same slip-in rail clamp for both F2, X, and P2, and does not show that latest optional type at all.

Rick "who rarely sees the original low-profile F clamp" Denney

Drew Wiley
10-Oct-2012, 12:58
A low-cost option to the deluxe clamp is the old Norma right thru the hole type. It's very
solid, but you can't just drop the rail in and tighten it. But you can leave it on the rail and
then right onto the tripod. Nearly as fast. I am often out in the field with all kinds of parts
mixed on the same camera. That's the elegance of the Sinar system - almost nothing
becomes obsolete.

Frank Petronio
10-Oct-2012, 15:14
The Norma clamp is lower than the F-P clamps since the Norma has U-shaped, wider standards where the narrower FP standards require more vertical clearance.

The last P2 clamps are nicer cosmetically to match the camera, if that matters. The F-P era stuff looks more like 1970s plastic, which they are.

RedSun
10-Oct-2012, 15:51
Is the original P2 clamp the same as the F1/F2 and X clamps?

the F and P probably belong to the same style, not sure about Norma...

Drew Wiley
10-Oct-2012, 15:57
The F and P standard clamp was the same. They were U-shaped diecast alum with a plastic grip handle for tightening. The later ones for either series had more of a checkered
texture on the plastic sheath to the grip, but otherwise the same. Sinar made several
kinds of clamps, even a geared super-duty one. The Norma clamp was simpler - basically
just a ring collar, and most of them were green not black, to match the earlier Normas.
If I had to choose just one, it would be the relatively expensive later deluxe clamp, with
the portion that wraps over the top. This helps if the camera if fairly heavy, like a P would
normally be, or an F with a lot of extension.

Clive Gray
12-Oct-2012, 15:55
In line with my theory that a picture paints a thousand words ...or in other words some dodgy but illustrative pics

Norma Clamp note the insert is slightly different to the later ones.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8044/8081018202_5cfaee7a3a_z.jpg

P/F style clamp

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8474/8081023765_69758eda68_z.jpg

P2 / F2 Era clamp only difference is the tightening knob style

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8190/8081024015_6150c50ef8_z.jpg

Rail Clamp Two which later became standard on the P2

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8081019046_22fa34d17b_z.jpg

The Norma clamps can some times be a bit limiting on the later cameras and as Drew says the Rail Clamp 2 is your ultimate goal not only does the camera stay where its put it stops nasty accidents when you do the camera on tripod and over your shoulder thing with 10x8, no matter how tight you crank the standard clamp up it will slip and do interesting things to your shoulder.

I do not have the geared or the low profile clamps Rick refered to perhaps if any one does they could add photos.

The two clamp base plate can be helpfull there is a later Base Plate two as well, but as usefull if you can ever find one is the one metre long base rail.

Clive Gray
12-Oct-2012, 15:55
*sigh* second post because of the four image limit

Base Plate

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8081024525_3e794cc47e_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8081019490_8b49039f09_z.jpg

Drew Wiley
12-Oct-2012, 16:14
That long base plate thing is super simple to make yourself. I used a stick of maple and
sealed it with penetrating epoxy. A strong thread insert in the center for the tripod
screw, and it's about a twenty-minute woodshop project, though as I recall I afterwards
put a special industrial enamel on it to match the camera finish. The second I left natural
wood look. The bugs and bears in the woods could care less about the color. But neither
one gets used anymore. I just use lighter lenses at long extensions.

Frank Petronio
12-Oct-2012, 16:48
The low profile clamp was made out of plastic for the original low-cost Sinar F. It was a decent light/compact design but plasticy and now that they are 40 years old, brittle. I'd avoid them unless you have no other option.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the uber-clamp that accepted the rail without any bushing and provided micrometer-geared yaw rotation. I hear the Iranians bought them for their nuclear program and I hope you Swiss bastards overcharged the Hell out of them! But even before that they were always expensive, North of $500 on eBay.

While I like the Norma clamp with the Norma camera for cosmetic reasons, the later clamps, especially the over-the-rail one are attractive because they are more secure. Occasionally I can flop my camera if I don't tighten down the Norma clamp enough but this is much easier to do with the later clamps's larger handles. And unlike other camera designs, the bushing keeps you from compressing the rail.

Drew Wiley
21-Oct-2013, 10:12
You don't even need the slots, just a few holes for 3/8-inch bolts. But if you do want slots, they should be a tad larger than 3/8", unless you are planning to capture the turnknobs by them being necked-down, in which case you will have to accommodate that to the actual knobs you acquire. If you capture by E-clips instead,
you will need to slightly recess space for the clip on the top side of the rail. I made one of these out of a piece of hard maple. A super-simple shop project. The exact dimensions are irrelevant. It's all related to just how far apart you want your supports.

Captain_joe6
22-Oct-2013, 13:39
To revert, briefly to the original question: Every round-rail Sinar camera (so, everything except the A1, a.k.a. "Alpina") can be used with any Sinar rail clamp. Easy as that.

Adamphotoman
23-Oct-2013, 03:17
103439I have one of these extra flat base plates and can get you measurements if you would like.PM me.

I have built a complete hybrid. Made up of Norma, P, F2 parts and 2-P2 style clamps. The soft rubber coated handles on the P2 style rail clamps don't show well in the pic, but I can assure you that they function much better. The plastic knobs on the older clamps are not as comfortable to lock down.

I use this heavy rig only in the studio. The Norma clamp has a fragile plastic insert...They are easily broken...and kind of easily fixed.