PDA

View Full Version : omega enlarger

Maribel
13-Mar-2004, 15:06
hi

Is there anybody that can tell me if I'm doing a great bargain with this omega enlarger D5xl for $300. The enlarger comes with a 4by 5 carrier , easel, chromegatron and with a nikon lens 135. How would I be able to know if it works at this used store they said it works but they don't give me warranty all sales are final. Please I need some advice. thank you

Bob Salomon
13-Mar-2004, 15:47
Does the light go on and off? Do the filters add color smoothly as the wheels are turned? Does the white light lever take the filters out of the path and return them? Does the carriage go smoothly up and down the column? You can assume that the enlarger needs realignment however. Except for critically checking alignment you should be able to tell how well it works in the store.

Ed Balko
13-Mar-2004, 16:05
Have the seller put a negative in the carrier and use the enlarger to focus an image on the baseboard. This is what the enlarger is intended to do and if an sharp image can be produced, then a basic functionality check will have been made. If the seller can't or won't do this, walk away.

If there is a Chromegatrol, the enlarger should have a Dichroic (color) head. See if the rotating the three filter wheels causes the color of the projected image to change. Have the seller show you that the Chromegatrol ( a combined timer/power supply) works as a timer. Check to see that the lens is clear and free of scratches; if there is muck inside the lens, assume it will have to be replaced. If the lens doesn't pass muster, offer less money.

wfwhitaker
13-Mar-2004, 20:55
I would be wary of any store which offers goods for sale with no warranty, all sales final. If you're comfortable with checking an enlarger out yourself, then that's one thing. But if you're not secure with being able to determine completely on your own if the enlarger is in good condition, then let it go. Clearly the selling party has no one's interest in mind but their own, so treat all claims accordingly.

It's a buyer's market for enlargers. And there are probably more used Omega enlargers out there than any other kind. This isn't the last enlarger in the world.

Caveat emptor!

Claes Williamsson
16-Mar-2004, 08:11
I bought a d5xl for a bit more than that, albeit with three lenses, so it might be a good price if it works (as others have said). On my timer (chromegatrol), the multiplier switch (x1 or x10) doesn't work, so I'm limited to 1-99 seconds and don't have the .1-9.9 second option available to me... I bought the enlarger over the phone but this hasn't been a problem for me... just something to check for you, since I've heard of others having the same problem.

Lou Nargi
17-Apr-2004, 13:29
There is an omega enlarger expert here in ct. his name is Harry Taylor, of Classic Enlargers 145 Jeanne court Stamford CT. 203-329-9228. He can tell you anything you want to know about Omega enlargers.

Maribel
17-Apr-2004, 16:07
thank you for all your advices