PDA

View Full Version : Lines from scanner -- any ideas?

Michael_4514
8-Oct-2012, 03:40
My scanner is creating these two lines on scans of negatives. I can't see anything on the glass that would account for this. Has anyone seen this before? These lines only appear on color scans. Time for new scanner? Scanner is an Epson 4870.

Thanks,

Mike

EOTS
8-Oct-2012, 04:37
Hmmm.

Is the line in the same direction as the CCD scanning row is moving?
Could be a compromised section of the scanning row...

Best,
Martin

Tobias Key
8-Oct-2012, 04:38
When I've had this it is usually due to dust in the calibration area of the scanner.

EOTS
8-Oct-2012, 04:40
When I've had this it is usually due to dust in the calibration area of the scanner.

Even more plausible!
I once had something simular looking when I had dust on the white calibration strip of the scanning drum...

polyglot
8-Oct-2012, 16:16
You may also have dust on the CCD itself. My guess (since this is a negative) is that the bright line is due to dust on the CCD and the dark line is due to dust in the calibration area.

eberry_tapes
10-Oct-2012, 14:36
I had a similar thing with an Epson v500, and it was resolved by unplugging and re-plugging the cable that connects the top of the scanner to the bottom part of the unit. Don't know if yours is the same setup but worth a shot if it is.

Jody_S
10-Oct-2012, 15:35
I've had similar issues with bad connections in the power jack, usually resolved by spraying with cleaners and air and re-attaching. Also of course dirt or whatever in the calibration area. Scanners seem to take quite a bit of power because they pre-heat the lamp (?).

rich815
10-Oct-2012, 19:15
Does the dust occur in the same place on a second scan of the same neg? If so could be dust. If not its likely random and electronic. If the latter download and try Vuescan and setup for multi sample scanning which will eliminate random noise and such if its not consistent scan to scan...

polyglot
11-Oct-2012, 01:16
Lines are a systematic error, not noise. Multi-pass will not remove them.