PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds for B&W Children's portraits

John Kasaian
10-Mar-2004, 12:01
I'm looking for a muslin or canvas background for indoor children's portraits. I'd like to try making my own, but my problem is that I'm having a hard time picturing what a given background would look like in B&W. Looking at different patterns on the internet has me confused & bewildered (not that it takes much to get me confused & bewildered.)

I have basic black which is useful, and white which I like for newborns, but makes older children look like they're getting mug shots.

Im using hot lights in soft boxes(I also have a small fresnel and a large gold/white reflector, and I'm using 100 TMAX if thats important, but I can also shoot 200 Fortepan or 400 Arista. I don't use a filter for children--- they've got great skin tone as they come out of the box.

Basically, what colors would give me a good combination of contrast yet be pleasing to the eye? The children are just about every complexion imaginable so I don't expect one color will be complimentary to all, but I'd be grateful if anyone could steer me in the right direction, One local photog suggested brown/pink/yellow and another suggested pearly grey/blue and yet another mottled green.

???

Thanks!

Mark_3632
10-Mar-2004, 13:27
Here is what I did . Big sheet of white butcher paper. Red, white, Blue, yellow and green paint squirted on it. Allow twenty six Adolescents to smear the paint all over the place with their hands. This might work with Muslin. When I did it myself it looked too planned. When they did it it looked like hell in color but was beautiful in BW very textured and seemed to compliment the varied skin tones of my students. I'm a teacher and shot portraits of my kids last year as presents for their parents, so the 26 kids were easy to come by.

Capocheny
10-Mar-2004, 13:47
Greetings John,

If I may... take a look at some of the backdrops on http://www.amvona.com for reference. They do have some rather attractive backgrounds wiht children as models. However, be wary when (and if) you decide to buy something from them.

I made the mistake of doing just such a thing back a long while ago. I received the product (just the look I wanted) but it looked like it had been used. It was torn and there were flaking spots of color on it. Suffice to say... after numerous telephone calls and emails, I threw up my arms and wrote the experience off as "one for the books!"

That being said... they still have some nice looking backdrops but I'd stay 3 arms away from a purchase.

Cheers

Jim Galli
10-Mar-2004, 14:43
Few photogs just knock me out, but this lady (http://www.cheryljacobsphotography.com/) does. Makes me want to junk the LF stuff and go buy a hasselblad. She posts at APUG a lot and I always go straight to her stuff. A definite gift. Sigh.

Ralph Barker
10-Mar-2004, 22:17
Dig out that old brown "B&W viewing" filter you bought years ago, but only used twice, John. That may help to guess how the colors will translate in B&W.

Personally, I don't like painted muslins or canvas - especially for kids when the muslin covers the floor. Aside from "that '70s portrait" look, there's a real risk of the child stumbling on the fabric and hurting themselves. I prefer using seamless paper. Thunder gray works well, as you can light it to achieve almost anything from white to near black, and it accepts colored gels very nicely.

jnantz
11-Mar-2004, 13:16
hi john

have you considered going to a fabric store and picking up a few colors - grey, light blue, brown, red &C hang them and take some black and white images of them so you can judge what the different colors would translate into ? i have used grey felt, and it looks really nice in black and white - but that is my own colorblind preference :)

good luck! -john