PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 bench top enlargers

AnselAdamsX
3-Oct-2012, 17:46
What were the commonly available bench top 5x7 enlargers? I need something I can move in and out of my bathroom. I don't plan on printing larger than 16x20 for now.

Thanks
Chris

karl french
3-Oct-2012, 19:53
None of them are going to be pleasant to move. I did once have an Omega E5, which I suppose you could move in and out. How about a rolling cart with the enlarger on top that fits around your toilet?

ic-racer
3-Oct-2012, 21:22
None? The Elwood 5x7 and Kodak 5x7 were benchtop models, but I'd not call then "commonly available."

I can't get my 4x5 enlargers off the bench without partially disassembling them; they are pretty big and heavy.

Oren Grad
3-Oct-2012, 22:04
Zone VI Type 2 with short column. Probably hard to find, though. And that, too, will still want to live on a cart rather than being hoisted back and forth.

soeren
3-Oct-2012, 23:44
Is Kienzle still producing?
Im rather intriqued by the C138. Wouldn't call it portable considering it's weight.
http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/Vergrosserer/C-Baureihe/C138/c138.html
best regards

Curt
4-Oct-2012, 00:47
When you find one you'll want a cart to put it on unless it's a second bathroom.

Michael Graves
4-Oct-2012, 04:38
I'm using a Beseler 57M in my bathroom/darkroom. Fits just fine. It is only slightly larger than the 45MX.

AnselAdamsX
4-Oct-2012, 06:58
I do use a cart for my D5XL. I wasnt planning on lifting it but it can't have a 6ft column.

ic-racer
4-Oct-2012, 10:49
Here is you enlarger, $50. It is in Philadelphia. (5x7 table top Elwood) http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pho/3278402048.html

Charlie Strack
4-Oct-2012, 11:12
For portability, I'd say the best option is contact printing 5x7. The Zone VI short column would be a beast to move (the baseboard is 32x32, IIRC); the Beseler 5x7 models were somewhat portable, but not common.

AnselAdamsX
4-Oct-2012, 16:52
I'm contacting the guy with the Elwood.

Dan Dozer
8-Oct-2012, 18:44
I have an old Besler 57 as well. I started out in my last house keeping it in the garage and moving it into the tiny little bathroom when I wanted to do printing. It became a major effort because it was big and awkward. So much so that I didn't print all that often because of the work just in setting up the darkroom. Recommend that you check the size of your bathroom door to see if you can move the enlarger straight in or have to tilt it like I had to. The base on my enlarger is 25 1/2" x 28" x 44" tall. The door in my bathroom was only 24" wide.

AnselAdamsX
8-Oct-2012, 19:20
I found an older wooden Elwood that is a tad smaller than my D5XL. I haven't heard from the guy in Philly. I'll make a base for it like my D5XL (24x36). I'll be able to use the same cart.

Larry Gebhardt
9-Oct-2012, 19:53
I have an Omega E3 (maybe an E2, I forget) that fits well on a bench. It has a shorter column than the D5XL I had next to it. I modified the cold light head to use LEDs. It prints pretty well, but I haven't yet cleanup the chassis, so it's a bit rough. I really should sell it since I now have a Durst 138.

Chris, where are you located? I don't want to bother packing and shipping, but if you are near NH I can make you a good deal on it.

I also have a 5x7 Elwood like the one in the Craigslist that ad that I never got to using. Picked it up with a lowball bid on an ebay auction. I think it was $20. I felt really bad buying it from the guy as he said he put 40 hours into restoring it. Again, if you are in the area I'll make you a good deal.

AnselAdamsX
10-Oct-2012, 07:28
I'm in Connecticut. I'm between 3-4 hours drive to southern/middle NH. So If I can do it on a weekend it's possible.

evan clarke
10-Oct-2012, 08:56
The Elwood is a nice enlarger, I got one from a friend and It's a late model cast aluminum 5x7..Smart, simple carrier setup.

AnselAdamsX
10-Oct-2012, 12:48
Does the all metal Elwood have adjustments for negative carrier to baseboard alignment?

ic-racer
10-Oct-2012, 19:35
Does the all metal Elwood have adjustments for negative carrier to baseboard alignment?

Even if it does not, you will have a lot of leeway in a small enlargement. For example when I'm enlarging 8x10 negatives to 1.4x I can move the lens stage up and down about 3mm in each direction with little change in sharpness looking through the grain magnifier. That is a lot of leeway to be out of alignment. As you enlarge to greater magnification, your leeway for alignment errors gets smaller.

Enlarging a 5x7 negative to 11x14" is so much easier than enlarging a 35mm negative that size...aren't you glad you do large format :)

Graybeard
11-Oct-2012, 12:50

Fore and aft with an adjustment screw; side to side by shimming the column base.