PDA

View Full Version : Calumet 8x10 camera help

Marc_Andrew
3-Oct-2012, 07:16
I just purchased what I think is nice condition black C1. However, I'm not sure if it's actually a C1! I'd love to know more!

There's a rectangular plate in the front that says CALUMET CAMERA 8X10. Serial number 1406. All the knobs are metal. No plastic knobs. It came with a 12" Kodak Commercial Ektar in a #4 Acme shutter that looks like it's never been used. Bellows extend to around 32 inches. It also has a little chrome bubble level mounted by the handle that looks original. It's all very clean. It weighs 17 lbs on my digital scale without the lens and lens board.

Is this a C1?

Lastly,

1. What is the longest lens I would be able to use for head and shoulders portraits and not be up in someone's face?

2. I'm completely new to 8x10 - do you have recommendations on how to care for the camera? Do the racks need to be lubricated?

Thanks!
Marc

Jim Noel
3-Oct-2012, 07:37
ALthough not eh longest, a 21" lens is nice for portraits. a 19" Artar isn't bad either.
The racks need to be cleaned more than anything else. I never lubricated mine. Lubing will only attract dirt.

Captain_joe6
6-Oct-2012, 10:16
There was an earlier version of the C1 that looked a little bit different than the later green and black 'monsters,' but functioned just as well. Visually they are very easy to differentiate, but by description it is much more difficult. Pictures would help, but at this point, I'm betting its the earlier model.

If the tracks don't have teeth, but just a groove that a little wheel rides in, then no, do not lubricate them. The C1 proper uses a friction-based focusing system that would be rendered inoperable by a lubricant. The bellows should be a synthetic material and therefor require no care, other than not letting them sit for days and days at full extension. Neither do you want to leave them fully compressed all the time, either. I leave my 8x10 on a tripod in the kitchen with about 12" between the front and rear standards.

I'd second the 19-21" recomendation for a portrait lens. Remember, focal length is measured at infinity focus. At portrait distances, you'll quickly get out to 25+ inches of bellows extension, and the camera will start to become less stable.

Marc_Andrew
6-Oct-2012, 21:28
Thanks for the info!