PDA

View Full Version : Know anyone who could make an extension rail for an 8 x 10 Seneca improved?

Geraldine Powell
2-Oct-2012, 08:39
I have just got an 8 x 10 Seneca improved from a member here. I would like to get an extension rail for it. I searched the archives and saw that someone had mentioned "fabricating '' one. Would anyone have a source for this?
Geraldine

taulen
2-Oct-2012, 08:56
I think they concluded that getting the tracks for the rail were near impossible. And you should rather try to find a used one, and "save and fix" that one.

E. von Hoegh
2-Oct-2012, 10:13
Racks are still available from Boston Gear. I don't know what pitch rack is needed, soooo.....

The trouble with replacing missing extension rails for these cameras is that the rack on the original rail was matched to the rack on the rail on the camera, another rail may not match causing the focussing pinion to jam at the transition.

sepiareverb
2-Oct-2012, 10:24
Richard Ritter?

E. von Hoegh
2-Oct-2012, 10:41
Richard Ritter?

Yes, thank you. I must be getting senile, not to have mentioned him.

taulen
2-Oct-2012, 10:55
http://scottperryphoto.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/seneca-view-8x10-sourcing-a-gear-rack/

Roger Thoms
2-Oct-2012, 16:07
Richard Ritter has my Charten 5/7 right now and is replacing the rack and pinion gears because the pinions have broken teeth and are of an obsolete size. So I know he can get the parts, and my guess is that he could make a new extension rail also.

It would certainly be worth an inquiry.

Roger

Jim Andrada
2-Oct-2012, 16:22
Making the extension is pretty simple - as long as you can find the racks or a substitute. I'm just getting around to making up an extension for my Seneca (Old and un-Improved) Seems that one of the Improvements was changing the spacing between the outer grooves that the brass standard supports ride in. I do have the original racks and other fittings so it's just a wood work excercise.

Jon Shiu
2-Oct-2012, 17:45
Hi, I believe that if you email Mr. Ritter he can give an estimate. If I remember correctly, he replaces all the existing tracks on front rail and base with modern ones so that they match the new rail constructed.

Jon

Geraldine Powell
2-Oct-2012, 19:06
Thank you so much everyone for all the suggestions. I am going to follow up on the rack link and I will email Mr Ritter. Thank-you!!
Geraldine