PDA

View Full Version : Q: How to get from digital file to final print?

Pawlowski6132
2-Oct-2012, 07:10
So, every once in a while I end up with a digital image file I would like to print. So far, I have never done so. The task seems very daunting. There seems to be many questions that need to be answered that I can't:

Where to send?
Can I ask for particular surface type on the paper?
How can I ensure what I see on my screen translates to the print I receive back?
What format to send?
What size, resolution, etc.

Then I wonder, is it easier to just get an 8x10 digital negative and print it myself in the darkroom.

Same questions as above though right?

Anywho...

Is there a process that cuts through all this? I am leaning towards the digital negative route so I can play alternate visions.

Thanx in advance since I'm sure you are rolling your eyes by now annoyed by the sheer level of ignorance!

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2012, 07:18
Lets start with input. How are you scanning and editing the image? What scanner and software will you be using?

And for output - ideally what do you want to end up with? What size? Matte, glossy, or on watercolor type paper? Will you display it and how?

If you want to spend the money, send it off to a place like Booksmart and them scan and edit for you, they can send you proofs.

Pawlowski6132
2-Oct-2012, 07:21
Lets start with input. How are you scanning and editing the image? What scanner and software will you be using?

And for output - ideally what do you want to end up with? What size? Matte, glossy, or on watercolor type paper? Will you display it and how?

Good questions:

1. Images' original format is digital (DSLR)
2. Post editing is minimal in Lightroom
3. I like Matte surface
4. Final image size would be 75% 8x10, 25% 11x14
5. I will mat and frame myself

Thanx Frank!

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2012, 07:41
Well on the low end, places like Shutterfly will make decent cheap prints. You send them your file saved as a jpg per their online instructions, pretty basic.

Most people would get a $100 inkjet printer and a pack of nice paper... Make a print per the instructions, reiterate with adjustments like in the darkroom.

vinny
2-Oct-2012, 07:42
aspencreekphoto.com
their software should walk you through the steps for upload. easy, cheap, quick. matt glossy luster supergloss, blah blah blah.

Pawlowski6132
2-Oct-2012, 07:43
Thanx guys. I'm assuming that neither of these services provide digital negatives?

Frank Petronio
2-Oct-2012, 07:48
I'd post another topic asking where to get digital negs? Most people make them in house with their printers I think.

rdenney
2-Oct-2012, 08:04
Making a digital negative is required for some processes, like carbon prints. But just to avoid learning a few basic strategies in Photoshop? Seems the long way around the barn for me.

If the camera did a good job, you can send the file to any of the custom printing services, some of whose proprietors participate in this forum. That's expensive, but they will work with you to render the image the way you desire.

I would not suggest trying to make DSLR images look like your film-and-darkroom-based prints. Let them be their own thing. 8x10 and 11x14 are not a serious challenge for recent DSLRs--a lot of manipulation should not be required. But even if you want to manipulate using heavy dodging or burning, then that's not really all that hard in a decent photo editing program. What takes more time in digital is making it look good on bigger prints, or matching specific colors perfectly, retouching, or trying to make it look like film.

If you have a color-management system on your computer, plus a quality monitor, then you'll see what you need with reasonable approximation. The challenge these days is getting the monitor turned down enough not to be too bright. Even with calibration and profiling, my monitor displays a higher gamma than the resulting prints. But I have my own printer so I can make test prints, just like I once did in the darkroom.

Rick "who gets actually pretty decent work prints from Costco, though only on glossy paper" Denney