PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release identification

jonwitt
30-Sep-2012, 18:33
Hello, forum!

I have a quick release tripod mounting block, that I thought I would be able to find a plate for, but so far, no such luck.

Any help in identifying the type or model would be greatly appreciated.

Based upon my measurements, the plate at its widest point would me 80mm.

Images follow:

Thanks in advance,

Jon

C. D. Keth
30-Sep-2012, 21:07
That almost looks like it's meant for a specific medium format camera and the body sits down in there. If it's for plates and all that space below the dovetails is empty, well that's just bad design.

jonwitt
30-Sep-2012, 21:20
Good observation Mr. Keth!

I will change my search parameters appropriately.

Because I received the device with a lot of LF gear, I assumed it was for a specialty plate or a LF view camera rail. Due to the extreme width, I rejected the rail notion, but I had not considered a medium format system.

Thank you!

Jon

Frank Petronio
30-Sep-2012, 21:50
Never seen anything like that for a still camera - perhaps a video or movie camera?

C. D. Keth
30-Sep-2012, 22:23
Never seen anything like that for a still camera - perhaps a video or movie camera?

That's my profession and I've never seen anything like it either. It's not remotely heavy enough for movie camera applications. This is the usual quick release we use:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/386034_217789578309910_885908190_n.jpg

We call it an RBQ, from Ronford-Baker Quickrelease. The plates are about 3 by 4 and it'll hold my weight at any angle.

jonwitt
1-Oct-2012, 18:35
Thank you gentlemen for your assistance.
I contacted the folks that I got it from and they had no idea either.
I do believe that it is definitely for a camera as it says "lens" with a directional arrow on the bottom removable plate.
I have already given up on my proposed usage, but at this point I am simply curious.
Being that an 80mm dovetail would fit in the width, this seems to narrow for an MF camera body to fit, but perhaps this was the "special" mount needed for an auxillary battery pack, viewfinder, or motorized film winder.
Anyhow, it may just accompany me on my next visit to the recycling center, being taht it weigs in at 14 z.

Thanks again!