PDA

View Full Version : Help with tripod selection

TexasArch
19-Sep-2012, 19:46
Can any one help me out with the selection of an appropriate tripod for an Ebony 45SU camera? I dont own the camera yet, but this is the one i intended to purchase, and wanted to get everyones opinion as to the most suitable tripod for that camera. I appreciate your input for me the novice, thank you.

Peter De Smidt
19-Sep-2012, 20:07
Are you going to be back-packing, working in a studio, or...? What types of things will you be photographing? How high up do you need to be able to go? The more we know about how you're going to use it, the better we can answer your question.

TexasArch
19-Sep-2012, 20:18
I will be using the camera in the field, no studio work at all. Mainly for landscape and architecture (inside and out). I will be taking the camera and tripod off road and plan on carrying it at times. I also need to get some help with a head selection as well. Thank you for your help.

Bill_1856
19-Sep-2012, 20:28
http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods.

Normally I would recommend a TILTALL, but if you can afford an EBONY then you should be able to afford a carbon fiber tripod.

Jeff Keller
20-Sep-2012, 00:46
You've got a camera with modest weight (2.6kg) having average bellows length (365mm). A Gitzo 3 series should be a good match and would hold an even more demanding setup. If you were taking portraits a center column would make it quicker to make small adjustents to camera height. For landscape and architecture I would get one without the center column. A Gitzo GT3532LS only weighs 4.14 lbs / 1.88 kg. A Gitzo 2 series would probably be strong enough but because it has a center column it will weigh about the same.

Jeff Keller

john biskupski
20-Sep-2012, 01:56
Gitzos are nice gear, and match well with an Arca Swiss ball head which is easy to use with 4x5.

If you want wood, I'd recommend something like a Berlebach 3032 with a levelling head. This Berlebach seems to lie in between the Ries J-100 and A-100 in terms of weight/support and would be well suited to your Ebony, or or even a 5x7 camera.

BTW there's a nice used Linhof 3663 head (levelling/3 way) up for sale in the classifieds if you prefer precision adjustments, a good match for your camera.

Frank Petronio
20-Sep-2012, 05:48
For an Ebony I'd get a Really Right Stuff #2 mid-weight tripod and the middle ball head with appropriate plates and options to suit. That would be well balanced and suited to a light, high tech camera like the Ebony. They are the best and your fine camera deserves no less.

However that set-up will run at least $1500. If you want a beat up Tiltall then I have one for $60 in the classifieds. It will do the same thing. (I also have the larger RRS tripod and it is the "best" ~ makes the Gitzos look like donkey doo ;-p)

rdenney
20-Sep-2012, 06:10
If you want to do architecture, you may need a tripod that can go very low. Maybe a Ries can (I've never handled one), but a Berlebach is limited in how low it can go. A Gitzo without the center column may be better in that regard.

I disagree that a ballhead is easy to use with 4x5, especially for architecture. It's just too hard to level it up in both axes, given that loosening one also loosens the other. For architecture, a geared head will make life a lot easier. The Manfrotto 410 is one example. There are more expensive geared heads if you want something at a similar price point to your Ebony, such as the Arca-Swiss cube. I like my Arca-Swiss Monoball for some applications and cameras, but I only used it once with a view camera and learned from that unpleasant experience. The head is more important to good usability than the legs.

Rick "who ended up with a collection of tripods with different heads for different applications" Denney

Frank Petronio
20-Sep-2012, 06:21
Rick and I usually agree but for casual architectural photography (as anyone using an Ebony SU would be doing by their choice of camera) a good ballhead with tension adjustment should be fine. I used the RRS ballhead with a field camera earlier this year and never had the problems people seem to gripe about ~ you just keep tension on the head and you can place the camera level and precise quite easily. And if you are taking the camera on and off quite a bit, the lever clamp on the RRS head is a great feature.

Another advantage to ballheads is for travel there are no arms to break off, they form a more compact package. I like them with compact cameras, they are more fitting. They are also faster once you figure out how to set them up.

Cletus
20-Sep-2012, 06:49
(I also have the larger RRS tripod and it is the "best" ~ makes the Gitzos look like donkey doo ;-p)

WHAAATTT??? Donky doo? Just because you spent too much on your tripod doesn't mean you have to denigrate all of ours!

To the OP: Don't listen to this guy! He's just a little bitter because he's stuck with an inferior - although much more costly - tripod! ;)

Cletus
20-Sep-2012, 06:51
Hehehehehehehehehe :eek:

Frank Petronio
20-Sep-2012, 07:45
Hey those cameras cost $4995 so why not drop some coin on a proper tripod? Gitzos are fine for the 99%.

Brian Ellis
20-Sep-2012, 10:09
You might consider one of the Feisols. I have two Gitzos and a Feisol, the Feisol appears to be just as well made at about a third the cost of the Gitzos.

Mark Sawyer
20-Sep-2012, 10:33
I'd echo the Ries/Berlebach selection, partly because they'd also be the prettiest under your camera, especially with a matching dark finish to the wood!

Alan Gales
20-Sep-2012, 22:23
Go back a page on "gear" and find kameraobskura's thread "New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)".

That's what you need for an Ebony! :cool:

john biskupski
21-Sep-2012, 00:23
I'd echo the Ries/Berlebach selection, partly because they'd also be the prettiest under your camera, especially with a matching dark finish to the wood!

I'd imagine that esthetically a carbon tripod would be a better match for the Ebony, a personal preference. The Berlebach/Ries wooden tripod route is certainly a different style, equally handsome in a different way, but the woodies also have a lot going for them in terms of practicality, very easy set up and adjustment, a pleasure to use. I find that sliding legs are just easier and more intuitive to use than twisting leg section locks (invariably in the wrong direction)!

Barry Kirsten
9-Oct-2012, 00:02
You might consider one of the Feisols. I have two Gitzos and a Feisol, the Feisol appears to be just as well made at about a third the cost of the Gitzos.

I agree. I've just received a Feisol I ordered to go with a Toyo 45AX for backpacking - model 3441T which folds down to 19" with ballhead and has maximum extended height of around 72" with ballhead. I'm very impressed with it. Stable and very light. At a pinch it would support my Linhof 4x5 monorail Depending on extension, wind etc, but I have Berlebach for that. I think the Feisols are very good value for money.

Frank Petronio
6-Nov-2012, 09:12
Do you think he actually went through wih it? I bet most people don't when it comes down to dropping serious money without having done large format before.