PDA

View Full Version : What Enlargers for 8x10?

RedSun
16-Sep-2012, 10:48
Most of the regular ones only go up to 4x5. Any popular ones for 8x10?

vinny
16-Sep-2012, 10:57
What do you mean by "regular"?
Whatever you can find. 8x10 enlarging isn't popular.
I use a Fotar 10x10 with a omega colorhead.

Jon Wilson
16-Sep-2012, 11:29
Horizontal or vertical? Like Vinny, I have a fotar 10x10 with a durst color head and 8 feet of vertical clearance.

Scott Walker
16-Sep-2012, 12:10
I use a Durst 184 - 10x10 with a cold light head, excellent enlarger if you have the space.
It is a beautifully made, giant hunk of iron, that weighs about as much as a small street bike.
Almost completely light tight without much modification.
Other than it being an enormous pain in the ass to move into the basement darkroom of an older building and it requires a fair bit of head room it is a great unit.

I also have a Beseler 810MXT which is nothing more than a 45MXT with an 8x10 conversion kit.
This is actually a great setup, it is small and light and usable for 8x10 on a table top because it only works with lenses 240mm or shorter for 8x10.
Downside, it is small and light and flimsy by durst standards. It's a Beseler so it leaks light like a screen door (most light leaks are easily fixable)
I have not had any alignment issues with mine but the consensus from other users of these is that there is a problem keeping them aligned.
If you are severely limited in space I don't think you will find a better 8x10 enlarger.

matthew klos
16-Sep-2012, 13:29
DeVere all the way

ic-racer
16-Sep-2012, 13:36
Do a search for Elwood, Fotar, Durst, Omega, DeVere, HK, and Saltzman; they are pretty popular around here.

cyrus
26-Sep-2012, 10:57
I have an Omega head, completely refurbished, for sale $3k.

Bob Mann
26-Sep-2012, 12:15
There is an 8x10 Fotar on *bay right now, located in NC I think - it is a solid piece of equipment built to last a few lifetimes.

Seymour
26-Sep-2012, 20:26
I just visited Photokina and had the opportunity to speak with the engineer/owner of Kienzel (www.kienzle-phototechnik.de. This firm is the only manufacturer who currently makes a complete range of brand new analogue enlargers covering formats from 6x7 to 10"x10", including all the accessories needed to do color and B & W work. While not cheap, in the long run it may pay to buy new rather than rely on a used or "refurbished" model. They also do repair and maintenance on other brands of enlargers.

Peter De Smidt
26-Sep-2012, 20:31
They're not as available as they were a couple of years ago when the big labs shut down. But you should be able to find something good with a little searching. Condition is very important, and you want to avoid fancy electronics. The chassis on all of these should last a very long time, and simple color heads are fairly easy to refurbish. You'll want to make sure that you get the accessories that you need, as sourcing these can be difficult and expensive. If you have the space, don't rule out a horizontal enlarger. I had a De Vere 810H, and it was a fine machine.

John Berry
1-Oct-2012, 21:59
The one your going to GET is the one that comes up close enough to pick up, bottom line.

ic-racer
2-Oct-2012, 05:26
The one your going to GET is the one that comes up close enough to pick up, bottom line.

+1

Robert Skeoch
2-Oct-2012, 06:11
I bought the Beseler with the 8x10 conversion kit.
The body is very old and the head much newer but still likely 20 year old.
It's a cool head, or is it called cold head... anyway I have to use graded paper with it which is fine but somewhat limiting.

I can easily print up to 20x24 from 8x10.

I'm in Burlington, Ontario if you want to drop over and see it and have a coffee. I drink coffee every day so I'm flexible that way.

-Rob

vinny
2-Oct-2012, 06:19
I bought the Beseler with the 8x10 conversion kit.
The body is very old and the head much newer but still likely 20 year old.
It's a cool head, or is it called cold head... anyway I have to use graded paper with it which is fine but somewhat limiting.

I can easily print up to 20x24 from 8x10.

I'm in Burlington, Ontario if you want to drop over and see it and have a coffee. I drink coffee every day so I'm flexible that way.

-Rob

graded? why?
I've used that setup with multigrade and no problems.

Ray Van Nes
2-Oct-2012, 09:59
If you can find an old Elwood they can serve you well. I have a 5x7 Elwood that I converted to 8x10. I built nesting boxes, one containing the neg carrier to fit on the chassis. I use an Aristo 12x12 light. When I want to use smaller formats from medium to 5x7, I remove the above assembly and put an Aristo 6x9 light. There are 8x 10 Elwoods but you will space for them. I had one and having 9ft of ceiling height was useful. The smaller Elwood fits in a regular darkroom and with a 240mm lens, you can print 20x24 on the counter without dropping it down.
For what it is worth.

Dan Dozer
8-Oct-2012, 18:45
I made my horizontal enlarger from my old 8 x 10 Kodak 2D camera.