PDA

View Full Version : Hello from India

pelagic4
9-Sep-2012, 09:21
Hello Everybody,
I'm from India and have been an avid film photographer in the past. Also had some dark-room experience. However all of it was confined to MF and 35mm work. Since i used to tinker about with cameras and other things mechanical, somebody gifted me a used Speed Graphic 4 x 5 in the 90s. It still seems to work, when i pulled it out of storage about a week ago. Since i'd never used it, i started scouting around a bit on the net; and thats what brought me to this forum. If i may say so, i consider this board to be rather active and effervescent with ideas suitable to LF photography. So i hope to gain something by being here and revive an activity that i enjoyed in the past.

Regards,
Pradeep

B.S.Kumar
9-Sep-2012, 20:15
Hello and welcome! From which part of the country are you?

Kumar

Jody_S
9-Sep-2012, 20:23
Welcome, from a fellow tinkerer.

pelagic4
10-Sep-2012, 00:50
Hello and welcome! From which part of the country are you?

Kumar

Thanks Kumar; i make my home in Pune, though i do travel extensively as part of my job.
Used to visit Japan quite frequently in the 90s.

pelagic4
10-Sep-2012, 00:52
Welcome, from a fellow tinkerer.

Thanks Jody for welcoming me. As my wife says, tinkering keeps me away from mischief. :)

wombat2go
10-Sep-2012, 05:57
Hi Pelagic,
This is a great Forum, I am new to it and learning from it.
I am about to travel from Michigan to Pune to do a few days work there.
I am old tinker too, with a new Graflex, a little darkroom and a little lathe to make lens adaptors etc.
I am working out what lens to bring to Pune; I very much doubt it will be on the Graflex!
What can I photograph in Pune ?? - In evening after long work days?

B.S.Kumar
10-Sep-2012, 08:00
If you're in Pune during the Ganesh festival for ten days from September 19th to 29th, you'll have a great time!

Kumar

wombat2go
10-Sep-2012, 08:29
Kumar.,
Wow ! great shots and music on this site.
www.puneganeshfestival
I normally take dslr on my trips but looking at this I am tempted to take old favorite 35 mm slr and maybe a 28 mm and a 55 mm and some iso 400 color film. Any issues to get color film processed in Pune, do you know ?

B.S.Kumar
10-Sep-2012, 09:14
35mm color negative film and processing are still widely available in India. E-6 and the larger formats are difficult to find. I don't have any experience with labs in Pune. All my film used to be processed by Mazda Imaging and a couple of now-closed smaller pro labs in Mumbai. I'm not sure if Mazda still processes film. Mazda used to have an overnight courier service over western India. Perhaps Pradeep might have more information.

Kumar

pelagic4
10-Sep-2012, 11:20
Kumar.,
www.puneganeshfestival
I normally take dslr on my trips but looking at this I am tempted to take old favorite 35 mm slr and maybe a 28 mm and a 55 mm and some iso 400 color film. Any issues to get color film processed in Pune, do you know ?

Kumar has passed on a great tip about what you can do in Pune while you are visiting. Processing film in Pune is not an issue though afaik only one lab is doing it now, but just give me a day i'll check it out for you. Otherwise, Mazda is still up and running in Bombay. Let me know when you are scheduled to be in Pune, and if i can help out in any way.

pelagic4
10-Sep-2012, 11:28
35mm color negative film and processing are still widely available in India. E-6 and the larger formats are difficult to find. I don't have any experience with labs in Pune. All my film used to be processed by Mazda Imaging and a couple of now-closed smaller pro labs in Mumbai. I'm not sure if Mazda still processes film. Mazda used to have an overnight courier service over western India. Perhaps Pradeep might have more information.

Kumar

Kumar, you're quite correct about your info. Mazda is still active in Mumbai. Since i've not shot any film for something like 15 years, i'm a bit rusty. But i'll check now. Back in the old days, i did E-6 myself (i probably have a last still-sealed E-6 chemical kit some-place!). Also had a little exposure to C-41 work (which i disliked, not least because of the primitive set-up that i had). But that is a closed chapter now.
AFAIK, E-6 is still available in Ahmedabad and Delhi apart from Mumbai, i can find out the details.

pelagic4
10-Sep-2012, 22:49
Kumar.,
www.puneganeshfestival

@wombat2go,

just checked and confirmed, there is one lab in Pune handling color film processing (35 mm for sure, but not LF) i.e. Fotofast on Main Street in Pune Cantonment area. Other Fotofast labs located around Pune City will accept process orders and pass it on this lab and then re-deliver (probably the next day) while this main lab delivers same-day. While Mazda does it in Mumbai.

About E-6 processing, nobody known in Pune while Mazda in Mumbai seems to have wound up their E-6 processing. Sorry, Kumar for that error earlier. Some outfit called Navneet in Ahmedabad seems to be the only lab in Western India doing E-6 at the present time.

wombat2go
11-Sep-2012, 08:21
Good Morning Pelagic, a few coincidences.
We both are new on this forum, both with Speed Graphic 4x5
Now I am going first time to Pune where you live.
You recommend Fotofast, I see it in the map on Nat Hwy 4 about 6 km from where I will be working!

I have purchased some rolls of Fuji 35mm 400 C41.
With some 14 bag scans expected on this trip I will try to get some processed at Fotofast if I can.
Thanks very much for the assistance.

pelagic4
11-Sep-2012, 23:33
Good Morning Pelagic, a few coincidences.
We both are new on this forum, both with Speed Graphic 4x5Now I am going first time to Pune where you live.
You recommend Fotofast, I see it in the map on Nat Hwy 4 about 6 km from where I will be working!

I have purchased some rolls of Fuji 35mm 400 C41.
With some 14 bag scans expected on this trip I will try to get some processed at Fotofast if I can.
Thanks very much for the assistance.

One BIG difference though, Wombat :p; i've never used the Speed Graphic! But never mind that, i joined this forum to learn how to do so.

If you need any assistance in Pune, please let me know- will be glad to be of help. If i may ask which part of Pune will you be working out of?
Fuji 400 sounds good for use.

Which part of Michigan do you hail from? i've been to the Green Bay area twice (many years ago) once in the Summer and then in Winter. Beautiful part of N.America as is most of the Great Lakes. :)

wombat2go
12-Sep-2012, 06:13
Hi, Pelagic,
Graflex:
So far I am restricted to 6 by 9 in darkroom so I purchased a 120 roll film back to learn the camera.
It is quite a challenge coming from 35mm, I am using the rangefinder and a tripod which is not rigid enough . I am successfully printing some sharp images from the Graflex.
However i have not yet got a set of 8 shots that are mistake free, the usual mistakes - forget to wind on -fail to spool the film in the dark.
Next step is a wider 90 mm lens to better suit 6 by 9.
My plan is to learn by taking street shots of some of the old houses around here, with the neighbors' permission. The 90 mm should frame better so I can stay on the sidewalks!
I have a 4 by 5 back but no tanks or enlarger yet.

I will send a pm about travel to Pune.