PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if Wisner quality control and delivery has improved?

Don_4019
2-Mar-2004, 16:56
Hi everyone. I have talked to Ron Wisner about possibly purchasing an 11x14 or a 16x20 camera from him. I was looking around the forum for some reviews when I noticed a FLOOD of negative comments about him and his cameras. The last comment someone made was a year ago and at that time it seemed Ron was making some changed to the business. Does anyone have recent dealings with him either good or bad? Are the cameras being made well? Are the delivery promises being met?? Just curious. Maybe I need to look elsewhere for a camera.

clay harmon
2-Mar-2004, 17:58
If you are set on a Wisner, I would definitely ONLY go through a dealer. That way someone else can get the ulcers trying to get the camera. I have done it the direct way, and believe me, it is not fun.

Here is a sample of a recent experience I directly observed: A 20x24 polaroid camera promised, delivered late, but finally just in time for a gallery opening, but alas, no camera back to go with it. Just some pretty red bellows and some freshly finished mahagony. I'm sure others will chime in......

Michael Kadillak
2-Mar-2004, 18:24
I absolutely concur with Clays comments. You would have to have your head examined to buy directly from Wisner. I went through Quality Camera in Atlanta for a 12x20 back for my 11x14 recently and the transaction required a modest downpayment and it was actually delivered on time and I 100% satisfied. Quality Camera acted on my behalf in regularly hounding Ron and it was a pleasure to not be on the phone and for that I was infinitely greatfull. Once the back was received and it was confirmed to be in good order, I made the final payment and the item was shipped to me. The price was no different from what Ron would have charged me so it was a no brainer.

If the camera you want cannot be purchased used (there is a used 11x14 for sale on Photo.net), just be prepared to be patient and use the intermediary. Ron can do a good job when he is properly held accountable.

Cheers!

Roger Hein
2-Mar-2004, 19:34
I would categorize Wisner's fit-n-finish as 'utility'. Keep in mind though his ULF models are priced considerably lower than the 'competition'. Definitely purchase through a dealer to avoid grief and disappointment.

e
2-Mar-2004, 22:14
The cameras are handmade and you are talking 6 months to a year usually for a delivery time on ULF. Also sometimes a chance for another six months to fine tune the camera. This is the reality of ULF, no way around it with the Wisner co. I'm a new retail dealer of his cameras(as an extension to my regular business) and am about to take delivery of a new 7x17 and a 12x20 with a 11x14 back for sale in the spring. I live a short distance from the company and will QC the cameras before shipment to the customer. I plan to have ULF cameras on order all the time so the customer does not have to deal with the long wait.These are all made to fit the S&S holders (important).The above advice from other forum members is true ....Go through a dealer or buy from a private seller....unless you have the patience of a saint. That said, the cameras are very nice in use when delivered. My personal Wisner12x20P is easily 10x's better than the Korona I also own. William Whitiker has a Wisner 11x14 for sale on this forum in the classified section too, he is a good and reputable person. All the best!

Sal Santamaura
3-Mar-2004, 08:27
"William Whitiker has a Wisner 11x14 for sale on this forum in the classified section too..."

What classified section of this forum? The guidelines prohibit 'for sale' postings, I can't find a classified section and in the last thread on this subject there was clear indication that no immediate plans existed for one. By the way, I favor continuation of that advertising ban.

Christopher Condit
3-Mar-2004, 10:42
The Wisner 11x14 is for sale over on www.photo.net. There is another one for sale on www.apug.org. They are both quite pricey for used, then again they are completely built and available immediately.

RonW told me I could get an 11x14 within 2 months, as they were gearing up for a run of 11x14/12x20's. But talk is, as they say, cheap...

e
4-Mar-2004, 13:31
Also for those who may be interested, I just spoke to Ron and had an interesting conversation about two new ULF cameras he is in the process of making. The cameras are being created with a new style film back that is different than the standard spring back. These new backs are for the 16x20 and 20x24 cameras and are inspired by an older 18x22 from the past. They don't have springs but a new locking system that will enable the 16x20 and 20x24 size to be signifigantly lighter in weight overall. These cameras will have rear tilt moves with no swing or shift on the rear. The 16x20 looks like it will be under 25lbs and the 20x24 will be under 40 lbs. These cameras portend to be the lightest and best priced of this type available. Much less expensive than previous models. The only catch is that the GG back has to be removed to put the filmholder in so there is a little more work there. Probably not much of a factor with a camera this big. The best point is that this system is said to be much better at holding the filmholder in place and reducing the chance of light leaks coming from a bowing light trap prevelant in the bigger cameras and their large filmholders. I'm happy about the lesser weight and especially about the price reduction as this will enable more people to access these special formats and am considering a 20x24 myself. All the best!

Michael J. Kravit
4-Mar-2004, 20:49
My buddy has a Wisner 20x24 in his studio. Looks like a very nice camera. It was delivered in November. Wish it came with all the parts so that we could use it.

Michael J. Kravit
4-Mar-2004, 20:55
Seriously, Ron Wisner is a very concerned and talented individual. The 20x24 is an incredible camera. It is impressive and the fit and finish are excellent.

Ron has flown to the site to install the camera when a problem poped up. He is returning again shortly to complete the installation. Ron has lived up to his promises and his camera is simply beautiful.

I would have no problem recommending the 20x24 Wisner as it is something very special.