PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Bremerton, Washington

ninabeheim
6-Sep-2012, 15:16
My name is Nina, and while I maintain my digi equipment, I've returned to film, moving into the world of 4x5s. I had a nice wista knockoff given to me with a schneider 150mm, and then two weeks later (my how quickly news travels), I was contacted by a friend who offered to trade some unused Canon L long lenses I had for a nice TOYO 4x5, jobo, 6 lenses, 20 boxes of film, four boxes of Polaroid 54 (still good), tripod, drying cabinet - basically I hit the jackpot, and LOVIN' it!

Glad I found this hangout, I have a feeling I'll be doing a LOT of searching and reading... :)

nina

Heroique
6-Sep-2012, 15:57
Welcome Nina, and congratulations on the avalanche of LF equipment!

I also use a Schneider 150mm (the g-claron), my favorite lens for landscapes.

Looking forward to hearing about & seeing your LF work.

Brian C. Miller
6-Sep-2012, 16:03
Welcome to the forum, Nina! Sounds like you're ready to load up some film and go have some fun! The Jobo equipment is quite easy and handy to use. Glazer's Camera in Seattle has plenty of film and chemicals, and it's fairly easy to get over to them. There's a number of forum members in the general Seattle area, and there's some experts at Glazers, so don't hesitate to visit them or get together with someone. The boards here has quite a few good articles, plus there's instructional videos on YouTube.

So welcome to the forum and enjoy your new camera!

Vaughn
6-Sep-2012, 16:09
Welcome, Nina!

Sounds like a great trade! Good luck in your adventure!

ninabeheim
7-Sep-2012, 01:12
Thanks!

I've been a Glazer's customer for a long time, it felt pretty nostalgic to head back to "the coolers"... Hehehe Albeit, this was my first time to pick up the cool little boxes of 4x5... I felt so "grown up". LOL

Man, the Youtube stuff out there is AWESOME. I have to admit I was very intimidated by this camera and melange of gear. The fella I traded with, well, it was an emotional parting, and I have the gear because he trusts me to use it, love it, and not head off to Ebay. I'm honored to have been selected as the recipient (the trade was pretty much a formality). :)

I have a friend in Eastern WA with the JOBO - his is the quickie one, mine is a bit larger - and not a "flip the switch and return when the bell rings" model (it's in the closet - can't remember the model). I have an expert drum for it, and a smaller one, and the stuff for 120/35 - but I want to become comfortable with the camera before I venture into JOBO land. I swear, it's like being a parent for the first time... Instead of baby books, I'm re-reading THE NEGATIVE and THE CAMERA - with a completely different perspective.

I've got a number of film types I've never used before (came with the camera), and they've just gone from his freezer to mine. Tech Pan and some others I've never used, plus old friends like Tri-X, some Ilford (mmm!).

I had to go to Seattle yesterday, and went through some type of portal as I disembarked the ferry. Found myself off Republic and, well, Glazer's was right there... ya know? Four boxes of Portra, two of Ektar, four ilford, fuji and a couple of fuji instant films, a cable release and a roll of 120 for the roll film back, and I ran my OTHER errands (original errands) and came home with a cool bag o'goodies. The one thing I totally forgot to pick up was a really good story about the charge my husband's gonna find on the VISA... Oh well, it's been a while since I've been in the stink, don't want him to think I've completely turned over a new leaf or anything... ;o)

So looking forward to sharing and learning here. Thanks for the warm welcome!

nina

Brian C. Miller
7-Sep-2012, 08:52
Nina, you mentioned Techpan. This film requires Technidol, or an equivalent developer. Photographer's Formulary sells a Technidol substitute, but I haven't had any experience with it. It's a great film, but you must absolutely not use normal developer with it, as the constrast will shoot through the roof. Technidol is easy to use, but it's difficult to find. Go to the Photographer's Formulary page, and their developer will be listed in quart sizes.

Have fun!

Heroique
7-Sep-2012, 09:18
I had to go to Seattle yesterday, and went through some type of portal as I disembarked the ferry. Found myself off Republic and, well, Glazer's was right there … ya know?

I was at Glazer’s yesterday too – except on the other side of the street in their camera and lens store. I was there to pick up some filters and a replacement lens cap. They had a nice used cap – they gave it to me free. A sort of frequent buyer program! Glazer’s is a super store – and I like their giant film refrigerator on hot days, but they do raise their eyebrows when I keep the door open too long. Not long ago, you used to be able to walk inside the “Igloo.” Now that was a cool treat.

Robert Opheim
7-Sep-2012, 11:39
Hello, Nina,

I am also in the Seattle area - in the Northend. I was at Glazer's in the last week or so picking up lens caps for a early 70's dagor 8 1/4 inch lens I recently bought on e-bay from KEH. Glazer's is a great store and there are a number of great resources there (George has help me a lot) There are a number of people shooting large format in this area. I aquirred a used Jobo CPA processor - which really work well with a expert drum. You have to fill it and time it but the CPA does all of the rest. I have been processing with tray and deep tank over the years - but the Jobo is really nice.