PDA

View Full Version : Why does the search function suck?

civich
6-Sep-2012, 04:53
[QUOTE]Thanks! I could search but the search function sucks/QUOTE]

And here I thought it was just me. I'm sure this has been discussed before and I should do a search but, re: the quote. Instead of hi-jacking the thread in another LF Forum I'll ask here: why does the search function suck? Wouldn't having a Google window dedicated to LFPF threads be more efficient? Or, is it just me? -Chris

Frank Petronio
6-Sep-2012, 05:14
In fact, had you searched, you'd find I asked the same question before you and so have several others!

dasBlute
6-Sep-2012, 06:43
a little better, use google, for instance...

site:www.largeformatphotography.info searching

Ralph Barker
6-Sep-2012, 06:49
The local search function is what vBulletin provides. The easy work-around, as mentioned, is to use Google from your browser, adding the &site= parameter.

jk0592
6-Sep-2012, 07:13
The regular search produces zillions of useless results. I always have to go to the advanced search. It is a pain...

Vaughn
6-Sep-2012, 07:20
Because this forum is free?

Robert Budding
6-Sep-2012, 07:33
It is kind of funny that we tell new folks to use the search function . . . .

Vaughn
6-Sep-2012, 07:50
I never tell them that -- I think asking the same or similar questions provides the opportunity for new answers, new viewpoints, and new avenues of discussion.

I always find it interesting that the people who get upset with the same questions being asked, will take the time to tell people to 'to search', but not the time to give a simple answer, nor do a quick search themselves and provide a link. I guess some people just like being buttholes.

BrianShaw
6-Sep-2012, 08:08
I've noticed that the search functionon most forums tends to be ineffective (AKA "suck").

civich
6-Sep-2012, 08:12
The local search function is what vBulletin provides. The easy work-around, as mentioned, is to use Google from your browser, adding the &site= parameter.

Ralph,
Thanks for a to the point answer. I usually add "Large Format Photography Forum" to the Google search box when I'm looking for info but thats a lot of typing - you seem to indicate there is a short cut? -Chris

C. D. Keth
6-Sep-2012, 09:49
Just to clarify what a couple people already mentioned, you can search google and use a search term that will serve to narrow down the results to results only from a particular URL, such as this forum.

To do that, you enter search terms separated by commas like usual and then include the additional term "site:http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/" without the quotes and with no space between the colon and the beginning of the URL. You could narrow it down further within the forum by copying the URL of the classifieds, for example, to search only the classified ads.

David R Munson
6-Sep-2012, 10:19
On other forums I'm on I've seen where Google search has been integrated into the site's search function. I'm not sure how feasible it would be with the forum software here, but it's worth looking into I'd think.

civich
6-Sep-2012, 12:46
On other forums I'm on I've seen where Google search has been integrated into the site's search function. I'm not sure how feasible it would be with the forum software here, but it's worth looking into I'd think.

Yeah - what he said. Do we need to pass the tip jar around? -Chris

amac212
7-Sep-2012, 05:05
Well then what would be the fun for folks to not be able to tell posters with legitimate questions that they should run a search first before asking something that's been asked many times before. ;)

Ralph Barker
7-Sep-2012, 05:21
Yeah - what he said. Do we need to pass the tip jar around? -Chris

We try to keep the forum software "stock" because add-ons often have to be re-coded to work with version upgrades, bug fixes, and the like. To fund that level of on-going maintenance, we'd have to charge people to join/read the forum. That's not a road we want to go down.

Mark Stahlke
7-Sep-2012, 07:28
Somewhere, possibly on this forum, I downloaded a search engine for Firefox that uses Google to search the Large Format Photography fora. It's probably doing the "site:" thing.

I found it. Here it is. (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=large+format+photography)

IanG
7-Sep-2012, 07:55
As Mark says this one works well, there's one for APUG (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=apug.org) as well. You can also write your own.

Ian

civich
7-Sep-2012, 10:32
A clear answer. Thanks for your time Ralph. And thanks for all of the helpful input from the other responders. -Chris

We try to keep the forum software "stock" because add-ons often have to be re-coded to work with version upgrades, bug fixes, and the like. To fund that level of on-going maintenance, we'd have to charge people to join/read the forum. That's not a road we want to go down.

Kirk Gittings
7-Sep-2012, 10:34
if you use Google Chrome there are a number of plugins that work well. I am currently using Quicker Site Search.

sanking
7-Sep-2012, 11:43
I always find it interesting that the people who get upset with the same questions being asked, will take the time to tell people to 'to search', but not the time to give a simple answer, nor do a quick search themselves and provide a link. I guess some people just like being buttholes.

Vaughn,

You sure hit the nail on the head with that comment!

Sandy

RichardSperry
7-Sep-2012, 23:46

Coding a search box for Google site: search would be just about the easiest thing to do, HTML wise.
I doubt it would cost a thing. I bet there are 20 posters here who could do it left handed, and for free.
Even easier would be to just include a link to the Google site: search over on Google's site.

You update the forum code at most, what once or twice per year? Hardly Herculean.

civich
17-Sep-2012, 11:08
Somewhere, possibly on this forum, I downloaded a search engine for Firefox that uses Google to search the Large Format Photography fora. It's probably doing the "site:" thing.

I found it. Here it is. (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=large+format+photography)

Mark,
Thanks for pointing that out. As an update and recommendation for other searchers: I have started using Firefox (instead of Safari) because of the search choices. Having a LFPF dedicated Google search window is da nuts! It sounds like Google Chrome has similar devices on that web browser. -Chris