PDA

View Full Version : What Accesaries Do I need for LF?

RedSun
5-Sep-2012, 07:04
This is for a 4x5 system. I've already got:
Gitzo tripod
Harrison changing tent
Bunch of sheet film holders
Some old regular meters, such as Sekonic 308.
Release cable

What else do I need? dark cloth? magnifying glass? spot meter? etc?
I know the shopping list will continue....

E. von Hoegh
5-Sep-2012, 07:07
Dark cloth and a proper loupe that can be focussed on the ground glass.

Have you looked through the information available on the homepage of this site?

BrianShaw
5-Sep-2012, 08:50
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/matos-begin.html

Gem Singer
5-Sep-2012, 09:09
If you are shooting color film, you will need (at least) a polarizing filter and a UV filter.

For B&W film, a set of yellow, orange, and red filters to control the contrast between clouds and blue sky.

And don't forget a suitable lens hood.

Frank Petronio
5-Sep-2012, 09:14
Keep it simple and minimal - go shoot before you buy too much junk. For instance you can use this as a loupe: http://www.amazon.com/Dot-Line-DOTLDL6001D-DLC-Loupe/dp/B003YLXY5A/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1346861477&sr=8-12&keywords=8x+loupe maybe wrap the base in black tape to improve contrast.

Later you can drop $100 on a fine loupe but it isn't necessary, yet.

You will want some cleaning supplies for film holders - anti-static cloth, camel hair brush, blower bulb....

spare cable releases, baggies for the holders, maybe some rubber bands

Jim Jones
5-Sep-2012, 11:26
knowledge is power. Study a good book (or several) on LF photography. If that doesn't answer your questions, ask here. No book covers all the questions as this site can.

DKirk
5-Sep-2012, 14:25
If you have a 50mm lens for 35mm/digital reverse it and it will serve quite nicely as a loupe.

Heroique
5-Sep-2012, 14:33
Don’t forget a viewing card under any circumstances.

Too light, too small, and too useful to leave at home.

As you accumulate more & more gear, remember that Llamas can be had for cheap these days, rented or purchased. At least in the Seattle market.

IanG
5-Sep-2012, 14:44
Don’t forget a viewing card under any circumstances.

Too light, too small, and too useful to leave at home.

As you accumulate more & more gear, remember that Llamas can be had for cheap these days, rented or purchased. At least in the Seattle market.

I've never seen a serious photographer use one, you learn to see naturally . . . . ACtually I've only ever seen one in use and the photographer struggled to find subjects to shoot.

Missing off the list is a decent backpack to carry everything.

Ian

sanking
5-Sep-2012, 14:58
I've never seen a serious photographer use one, you learn to see naturally . . . . ACtually I've only ever seen one in use and the photographer struggled to find subjects to shoot.

Ian

Well, it is true that I am not a real serious photographer. It has always been play for me. But I always used a viewing card for all of my work with ULF, from 7X17 to 20X24. I had a cord attached to the card with knots at locations that corresponded to the lenses I used with these formats. When I arrived at a location where I planned to make a negative the subject was pretty much obvious, but the use of the viewing card gave me a good idea of where to place the camera to best frame the subject.

Sandy

Heroique
5-Sep-2012, 15:01
I’ve never seen a serious photographer use [a viewing card], you learn to see naturally...

Since a photo is worth 1,000 words, here’s AA using his viewing card in The Camera – it’s from the “Basic Image Management” chapter. He calls it the cut-out card. He can be so literal sometimes.

Forum members here also call it the “viewing frame.”

Me, I've taken fewer & better shots because of it. Yet, some of my best shots happened because I didn’t bring it, or I put it aside. (Never would this cause me to abandon its use.) I’ll just say that the frame, on one hand, is supremely useful in isolating elements in a scene by imposing borders roughly corresponding to a particular lens’ field of view; on the other hand, its usefulness potentially blinds me to additional means of pre-visualizing. If I’m not careful, it monopolizes too much of my attention – w/o my awareness that it’s doing so.

I made mine w/ a mat cutter and leftover piece of mat board, so I’ll add “cheap” to tiny, light, and useful!

lab black
5-Sep-2012, 16:15
This recommendation, of course depends on the geography of your destination, although a 5 mile laser pointer can save a life. In addition, a whistle can be a useful. Did you hear about the Utah hiker who recently fell in a drain pipe, broke his leg and was in there four days banging on the pipe with a rock, before crawling out? An Cliff bar or energy type bar can also be a beneficial. A few years back a snowboarder survivevd a few days with only a Snickers bar. Survival aside, a small notebook is worthwhile and if you are so inclined, post-it notes can be put on the outside of your holder for additional information. A second meter is worth considering or having back up batteries for your primary meter can be essential after you have set up the perfect shot at last light, in a canyon that took you all day to get to and your meter goes down for the count. A few large trash bags and a small set of screwdrivers (such as the type for eyeglasses) can be practical. If you are a long way from home, an extra ground glass can be important, as can an extra set of car keys. A simple inexpensive level can be crucial to saving a shot that you thought looked "good enough." Bellows extension factors-Reciprocity correction factors, a Sharpie, a roll of electrical tape, T.P. and a hat can be invaluable additions. I also agree with Frank's wisdom and expertise in suggesting baggies for your holders and a good anti-static brush. One of the finest tips that I was ever given is to simply brush the outside of your holders prior to inserting them in the camera to reduce the dust that falls on the film. A dog is good, preferably of the sporting breed, rather than of the Toy lineage and lastly, a good solid case to hold everything. My personal preferance of solid workhorses is an early '90's, 4x4 Chevy Suburban.
Best of luck!

Heroique
5-Sep-2012, 16:32
What else do I need?

I don’t know if it can compete with Lab Black’s entertaining post above (!), but the old thread titled Useful items in your bag that other smart photographers forget ( http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?72825-Useful-items-in-your-bag-(that-other-smart-photographers-forget)&highlight=forget) naturally occurs to me, and may be of some use to you.

For example, don’t forget that coin that unscrews the lid of your meter’s battery compartment.

Otherwise, you might return home, like I did once, w/o a thumbnail. :(

lab black
5-Sep-2012, 18:53
Heroique,
Thank you. I would have written more although the nurses took away my puzzle and brought me my medications mixed in the applesauce.

C. D. Keth
5-Sep-2012, 19:28
RedSun, my advice would be to get an inexpensive loupe and buy or make a dark cloth. Beyond that, don't buy anything until you've wished you had it three times. At that point it's worth buying and carrying, in my opinion.

rdenney
5-Sep-2012, 20:49
The conditions by which that powerful laser pointer might save your life might be few, but its usefulness in making a bright enough spot to focus in the corner of a wide view at taking aperture is not to be underestimated. A small flashlight might serve that purpose, too, and it also makes it easier to read shutter settings in darkish interiors.

Rick "who carries a 50mw green laser pointer, which is also good for pointing out stars on camping trips" Denney

RichardSperry
6-Sep-2012, 01:55
Black hat
iPhone
-Timer app
-Expositor app
-Level app
-Sky view app
-Moon deluxe app
-Flashlight app
-MyRadar app
Pepper Spray
Mini Mag light
Laser pointer

welly
6-Sep-2012, 06:33
Camera, lens, light meter, film, film holder, loupe, tripod, focusing cloth. That's all you *need*.

cosmicexplosion
6-Sep-2012, 06:46
mejule dates 50 calories of pure energy each, show me a better food for hiking

cosmicexplosion
6-Sep-2012, 06:48
ps thanks for card tip
i forgot that one one

Peter York
6-Sep-2012, 07:35
As for loupes, the Peak 5x is really good and really cheap.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40687-REG/Peak_1301960_5x_Loupe.html

joselsgil
7-Sep-2012, 23:30
Here are some more inexpensive items that you should consider.

1. A note book to write your field notes in. Write the weather conditions, time of day. This will help you remember the setting months or years later. Write your film exposures, lenses and filters used and where you placed your exposure values ( for zone system info). Include what type of film you exposed and in what film holder.

Writing down this information will be very helpful, should you find problems with your negatives. Such as, light leaks in holders, or other equipment problems. I need to follow this advise myself, as my memory is starting to fade. I recently watched the old 1958 film log, of Ansel Adams working in the field and I was amazed at how much info he would write in his field log book.

2. Inexpensive plastic clamps. The kind you can find at hardware stores for $1 or less. I use these little plastic clamps to hold the focusing cloth to a part on the camera. It keeps it from sliding off or over the front of the lens when using wide angle lenses.

3. If your tripod head uses a quick release base. Be sure to carry a spare, nothing worse than loosing your only quick release base when you are hundreds of miles from home or a camera shop.

I'm sure there are a lot more tips that people can think of, but these are just a few that weren't mentioned. Or if they were, I missed them.

Jose

RichardSperry
7-Sep-2012, 23:50
Forgot, a small black plastic garbage bag to cover your camera when it's raining.

Ian David
8-Sep-2012, 01:05
mejule dates 50 calories of pure energy each, show me a better food for hiking

Yeah, but how many of those suckers can you happily eat in the course of a single outing?

John Kasaian
8-Sep-2012, 17:00
This is for a 4x5 system. I've already got:
Gitzo tripod
Harrison changing tent
Bunch of sheet film holders
Some old regular meters, such as Sekonic 308.
Release cable

What else do I need? dark cloth? magnifying glass? spot meter? etc?
I know the shopping list will continue....

Tripod (if it's sturdy and will it handle the wieght of your camera?) check
Sheet Film Holders (if none are leakers---test 'em with paper first) check
One good meter, or two if you're clumsy (no more than two 'cause they won't "agree" anyway)---check
Cable release (I'd take a spare along as I misplace them) check
Loupe, linen tester or magnifier of some type to help fine focus on the ground glass?
A dark cloth (but you can use a heavy black tee shirt on a 4x5 quite nicely)
A lens?
Film?

Thats all you really need---don't waste money on anything else until you discover that you need it. Even filters and a lens cleaning kit, which is a "given" you will eventually want. And those light meters? Try sunny 16 sometime instead, you might surprise yourself!