PDA

View Full Version : Why People are so Crazy about Epson 4990?

RedSun
4-Sep-2012, 13:39
Over the weekend, an used Epson 4990 was sold for close to $400. And that is the one without any negative carrier and without the top white pad (or whatever you call it). Is this just insane?

I picked up the 4990 from a local sale (very cheap) and it is far less than the money that guy paid.

For not too much more, you can get a new V700 with all the accessories and fully under warranty. And I think the V700 could be even better than the 4990....

Robert Budding
4-Sep-2012, 13:46
Wow. I have an Epson 4990 that I use as a paper weight. Perhaps I should dust it off and sell the thing!

Frank Petronio
4-Sep-2012, 13:59
That's just a stupid sale, most of the time they are worth $200 or so.

dave_whatever
4-Sep-2012, 14:02
Lack of neg carrier isn't much of as issue as you'll get better scans by taping the film to a sheet of AN glass anyway. Very good capable 4x5 scanner if you can get one for a reasonable price.

Brian Ellis
4-Sep-2012, 14:26
I don't think one oddball sale means people are crazy about them. I like mine, I've had it forever and it still cranks out nice exhibit quality scans for prints around 16x20 or smaller. But if something happened to it I wouldn't lose any sleep, I'd buy a 700/750. I use a UMax holder, never found a need for AN glass.

Heroique
4-Sep-2012, 14:38
...If something happened to it I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

I would. And if I did get to sleep, I might have nightmares. ;^)

Each of my image posts here is by way of my beloved 4990.

I bought it refurbished from Epson ($279 w/ warranty), and it has worked so well, that I’ve become unreasonably attached to it. Its scanner glass even seems to be fairly resistant the well-known haze issue. After thousands of scans, I still have to get close and squint to see a very slight haze.

My Omega D2v is jealous of the attention I give it.

Robert Budding
4-Sep-2012, 18:00

I only have on 4990, so all I need is one stupid sale.

georgl
5-Sep-2012, 06:46
Not only the Epson, the Imacons got more and more expensive, I could have bought an Flextight II for half the price 6 years ago... The prices for the Coolscans are just insane! Strange, while the prices for wonderful film cameras dropped...

RedSun
5-Sep-2012, 08:27
Well, I think some of the film scanners are disappearing since they do not make them any more. But Epson is another story. They already have the V700 and 750, and I think they will continue to push new models (essentially the same) to generate some $$$.

unixrevolution
5-Sep-2012, 08:53

I think you mean $300 ;)

Zaitz
5-Sep-2012, 10:39
They can usually be found on craigsist for around $100.

Roger Cole
5-Sep-2012, 10:42
I would. And if I did get to sleep, I might have nightmares. ;^)

Each of my image posts here is by way of my beloved 4990.

I bought it refurbished from Epson ($279 w/ warranty), and it has worked so well, that I’ve become unreasonably attached to it. Its scanner glass even seems to be fairly resistant the well-known haze issue. After thousands of scans, I still have to get close and squint to see a very slight haze.

My Omega D2v is jealous of the attention I give it.

What is the "well known haze issue?"

Unless one turns up used at the right price before I'm ready to pull the trigger I just planned to buy a new v700 anyway. Does it suffer from this issue that's so well known I've not heard of it? ;)

jslabovitz
5-Sep-2012, 12:07
I own a V750, but while traveling in Portugal on a month-long photo project was able to use a 4990 for a couple of weeks. I only needed proof scans (I was developing Neopan film in a kitchen in an old horse stables), so didn't need high resolution. The 4990 seemed to be just the right mixture of features and capabilities (both advertised & actual). It wasn't trying to be something else, like the V750 trying to be a drum scanner (with the fluid-mount system). It was just a good flatbed scanner, simple and nearly perfect.

Also, I found the 4990 to be a much better built scanner than the V750. Specifically, its medium-format film holders were far better than the crappy ones with that come with the V750. I've owned Epson scanners since the 1680 model way back in the early 2000s, and I've seen the build quality significantly lower over time. I finally found a good deal on an Imacon Precision II, and haven't looked back, though something like the 4990 would be a great travel scanner.

--John

Heroique
5-Sep-2012, 12:59
What is the "well-known haze issue"?

I’m soooo tempted to say Do a Search! ;^)

Basically, it’s the residual haze or fogging of the underside of the 4990’s scanner glass, presumably caused by the out-gassing of the moving parts inside. It builds slowly but surely over time – its pace of development varies from scanner to scanner – but the consensus is that it’s not really anything to worry about unless the scanner appears to be significantly cloudy or foggy, and you’re scanning for large prints.

There are several threads about how to disassemble the 4990 and clean the underside of the glass. It’s a fairly simple procedure, but I think one needs to pry-off some sort of plastic cover to the screws on the back of the scanner. From there, it’s just a few simple steps and you’re done. Me, I see haze on my glass if the scanner’s inside light is on, but not if the scanner is off. I don’t think I’ll ever have to clean it during its lifetime.

Roger Cole
5-Sep-2012, 13:05
Thanks! I could search but the search function sucks, even using Google takes a lot of time, and I just ask and you have time to answer and it's actually quicker AND will save others who see this from doing the same thing over and over and over... ;)

Humm, doesn't sound difficult to clean but I'm always hesitant to do anything that involve prying and plastic. Do the 700 and 750 have this issue too?

Jan Pedersen
5-Sep-2012, 19:54
Humm, doesn't sound difficult to clean but I'm always hesitant to do anything that involve prying and plastic. Do the 700 and 750 have this issue too?

Yes, mine does and is due for a cleaning again soon even i don't use it much but now i have a piece of something under the glass to it needs to come off. As Heroique said it is not a big deal.
On the 750 screws are on the top below some plastic covers that you can pop up with little knife.

Roger Cole
5-Sep-2012, 22:22
Got it thanks.

Frank Petronio
5-Sep-2012, 23:17
(Almost) all haze up over time and I was skeptical but after cleaning, my scans were better. Now it's an annual event.

Love-Hate the Epsons. For years I've said that if the scanner technology isn't advancing then at least they should build a pro model with good film holders, quality motors, easily changeable and cleanable light sources, a rugged chassis, etc. for the hardcore photographers and institutional users who would drop $1500 on a ~ Epson 750 with better build quality.

Fucking Seiko Epson never listens to me.

Roger Cole
6-Sep-2012, 05:06
Just buy yourself three v700s for that price. You can swap parts as needed or just use one until it breaks then use the next one. Keep the first for parts that didn't break.

Frank Petronio
6-Sep-2012, 05:13
But by the time you got to the last one the entire thing would be off-gased into a toxic cloud ;-p

welly
6-Sep-2012, 06:25
Got a V700 here. It has dust under the glass. Not much but enough that it annoys me. I'd have happily paid a bit extra for a more rugged version that doesn't get dust in it's workings and that came with more adjustable film holders. Oh well.

Robert Budding
6-Sep-2012, 07:35
I’m soooo tempted to say Do a Search! ;^) . . .

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?94599-Why-does-the-search-function-suck

michaelw
6-Oct-2012, 10:59
To answer the original poster: in my case, because that scanner is adequate and one of the oldest ones supported by Lasersoft Silverfast to use the IR channel for automatic dust removal.

And, if you already have one of them with a Silverfast license, you can immediately use Silverfast with the replacement scanner without a paid 'cross grade' to, say, one of the newer Epsons.