PDA

View Full Version : Epson V700 and Scanscience 8x10 kit

wiggywag
3-Sep-2012, 12:18
Hi!

Do anybody on this forum use the Scanscience 8x10 kit for Epson V700/750? How good is it? I also wonder is it possible to partially scan ULF film when it is wet mounted, like 7x17, stitch it together in photoshop? For me it sounds like it can be a problem, but I have never tried wet mount scanning.

Thanks!

wiggywag
12-Sep-2012, 15:01
bump

Lachlan 717
12-Sep-2012, 15:20
Scanning 8x10 on a V700 uses the low res lens. This is the one focused on (or near) the top of the glass. As such, any wet mounting would need to be on the glass itself, something I wouldn't like to do.

I have, however, used the 8x10 film guide to do 7x17 stitched scans, and I am working on a 7x17 holder that will elevate the film so as to use the high res lens.

Still, scanning directly on the low res and stitching provides huge, well-defined scans.

SergeiR
13-Sep-2012, 08:54
Scanning 8x10 on a V700 uses the low res lens. This is the one focused on (or near) the top of the glass.

Hmm.. about 4-5mm above on mine. I gave up on further adjustments till i make better holder for AN glass - right now just using stacked pennies ;)

Lachlan 717
13-Sep-2012, 13:24
Hmm.. about 4-5mm above on mine. I gave up on further adjustments till i make better holder for AN glass - right now just using stacked pennies ;)

Why didn't you return it, given the focus is that far off?

SergeiR
13-Sep-2012, 13:33
Why didn't you return it, given the focus is that far off?
According to betterscanning it is quite normal. Plus i didnt start scanning 8x10 for almost half year after i got V700 :) And i knew that its off for 4x5.. But i like that its not laying on glass, but on raised AN station - less reasons to get newton rings. Was getting plenty when i tried to scan it like this first.

Lachlan 717
13-Sep-2012, 13:38
I didn't think that you could get full 8x10 coverage using the high res lens?

Heroique
13-Sep-2012, 14:52
I didn’t think that you could get full 8x10 coverage using the high res lens?

Here’s how I understand it (V700/750 with Epson Scan):

Selecting “Film (w/ Film Area Guide)” activates the lower resolution lens. The so-called “film area guide” is a cheap piece of plastic Epson wants you to lay on the glass, so you can position the negative on the glass in the right place. You must select this option for 8x10 film – well, unless you want to scan just a portion of it with the higher resolution lens (below).

Selecting “Film (w/ Film Holder)” activates the higher resolution (SHR) lens, which scans a smaller area than 8x10. BTW, I understand this lens scans at a wider aperture than the lower resolution lens.

One should do some testing to determine the ideal scanning height for each lens!

-----
Note: Epson 4990 users, like myself, must also choose the “film guide” vs. “film holder” option – but since the 4990 has only a single, fixed-focus lens, it doesn’t matter which option is chosen. The single lens will behave the same way for either option.

Lachlan 717
13-Sep-2012, 15:25
That's my understanding as well.

wiggywag
14-Sep-2012, 15:45
Scanning 8x10 on a V700 uses the low res lens. This is the one focused on (or near) the top of the glass. As such, any wet mounting would need to be on the glass itself, something I wouldn't like to do.

I have, however, used the 8x10 film guide to do 7x17 stitched scans, and I am working on a 7x17 holder that will elevate the film so as to use the high res lens.

Still, scanning directly on the low res and stitching provides huge, well-defined scans.

The way I have understood the Scanscience process is that film after wet mounting on a seperate glass plate is placed upside down towards the scanner, to have no glass between scanner and the film. This is not the case with Betterscanning. Am I right?

Heroique
14-Sep-2012, 17:23
The way I have understood the Scanscience process is that film after wet mounting on a separate glass plate is placed upside down towards the scanner, to have no glass between scanner and the film. This is not the case with Betterscanning. Am I right?

Betterscanning uses the same process – film is on the underside of the mounting glass, so the film faces the scanner’s glass and optics.

This is the process for both wet mounting and dry mounting.

Lachlan 717
14-Sep-2012, 19:46
Either way, using the high res lens will not give you 8x10 coverage.