PDA

View Full Version : Lighter fluid for wet mounting?

welly
1-Sep-2012, 00:09
I'd like to try wet mounting a couple of negatives and I got some good advice in a previous post I made about wet mounting, however the proper stuff just isn't available here and it's a 3 month delivery time as it has to come by sea to Australia. I'm going to order a couple of bottles but in the meantime, I hear you can use lighter fluid for wet mounting? Is this correct? Will it not damage the negatives?

Thanks,

Welly

sanking
1-Sep-2012, 07:25
Welly,

You can make a fluid mount solution very similar to Kami mounting fluid by mixing about nine parts of Mineral Spirits with one part of Solvent Naphtha. Both are commonly available in hardware stores in the US, and hopefully in Australia. A small amount of p-Hexane (about five parts per hundred) is also used in Kami. I don't know a source for small amounts of p-Hexane, but I think substitution of the p-Hexane with an equal amount of ethanol would be ok. Or you could just eliminate the pHexane.

This solution is almost identical to Kami mounting fluid sold by Aztek so it should not damage your film.

Sandy

I'd like to try wet mounting a couple of negatives and I got some good advice in a previous post I made about wet mounting, however the proper stuff just isn't available here and it's a 3 month delivery time as it has to come by sea to Australia. I'm going to order a couple of bottles but in the meantime, I hear you can use lighter fluid for wet mounting? Is this correct? Will it not damage the negatives?

Thanks,

Welly

Jim C.
1-Sep-2012, 07:36
I'm not familiar with wet mounting and the associated fluids but my first thought is flammability.

vinny
1-Sep-2012, 10:38
I'm not familiar with wet mounting and the associated fluids but my first thought is flammability.

Well, kami and others are very flammable. I don't smoke, especially when mounting film.