PDA

View Full Version : Is This Forum Too Gear Oriented?

Andre Noble
31-Aug-2012, 07:05
...and not enough on technique?

Is there a "Technique" mini forum on this forum? That's what large format is about anyways.

Kirk Gittings
31-Aug-2012, 07:13
Hmmmm...in about 1.5 seconds I find the long hidden and top secret Style and Technique sub forum. You get from this forum commensurate with what you contribute. What's stopping you from posting threads on technique?

BrianShaw
31-Aug-2012, 07:18
... and there are the half-dozen or so threads where pictures are shown/discussed with little chatter about gear.

jp
31-Aug-2012, 07:19
I think of it as some people here are more interested in gear, other people post photos. Some people are really into process/technique, especially darkroom. Sometimes there is overlap. I like a good mix.

Many people are learning LF for the first time, so there is going to be naturally much questions about guiding them into gear choices.

I don't think Technique is what LF is about, at least for me.

I'm interested in both making photos and photo history. Much gear discussion and transactions happen as I consider that gear hands-on learning tools as well as photo making tools. I'm not "collecting" per se, just getting something to participate in a craft from before my parents or grandparents were born. As for making photos, I think we've left some things behind (other than technique) as we race toward convenience and digital perfection and zero cost per shot. Such intangibles were always good with LF and are only getting better.

Are you thinking technique is about setting up the LF camera, etc... or about using LF negatives to craft alt process prints; the latter is definitely a technique that used to be limited to LF, but anyone can make negatives on their inkjet now to have big negatives.

Frank Petronio
31-Aug-2012, 07:35
I put the bookmark for this forum in the "gear" folder.

marfa boomboom tx
31-Aug-2012, 07:50
I put the bookmark for this forum in the "gear" folder.

+1 ... but then all BBs are. Tis easier to talk with strangers about 'nouns' --

marfa. not just another adverb

Andre Noble
31-Aug-2012, 08:27
Yeah, I saw the Style and Technique forum but wasn't sure if I should post my question on movements/parallelism there. Hardly anyone is looking that the sub forum also.

cosmicexplosion
31-Aug-2012, 08:29
Speaking of gear I've got this great shiny new mint super xxx lens for sale with some free film and shipping
But not outside US as I can't be bothered with paper work
Oh and did you see the new pick of me with my massive camera???

Brian C. Miller
31-Aug-2012, 10:47
Dude, you have been on this forum nearly as long as I have! The board here just isn't that big! Kirk is right, that subforum must be super-secret! Or else you really haven't been paying attention for 12 years! ;)

But I have been wondering, what was the best Nazi secret lens designed by aliens on the far side of the moon under the direct supervision of Adolf Hitler?

BrianShaw
31-Aug-2012, 10:50
But I have been wondering, what was the best Nazi secret lens designed by aliens on the far side of the moon under the direct supervision of Adolf Hitler?

WWANN: Why Would Andre Noble Know

Brian C. Miller
31-Aug-2012, 11:01
I have no idea if he'd know or not, but I sure can wonder!

E. von Hoegh
31-Aug-2012, 11:03

That would be the Scheissadler-Reichs-Ultraorthogon.

E. von Hoegh
31-Aug-2012, 11:05

Is there a "Technique" mini forum on this forum? That's what large format is about anyways.

But in order to practice technique, one must first posess gear.

E. von Hoegh
31-Aug-2012, 12:30
WWANN: Why Would Andre Noble Know

Brian, Brian. "WWANK"

Darin Boville
31-Aug-2012, 13:12

My view is that "Large Format Photography"--when you get right down to it--about gear or technique at all. Instead it's a sort of approach to photography. For example, Ansel-Adams-ish images of national parks--no matter how overdone boring--do indeed fit the definition but equally overdone and boring catalog shots, even when shot with an 8x10, don't really fit in. On the other hand, images shot with a DSLR might fit in very well. It depends.

--Darin

BrianShaw
31-Aug-2012, 15:15
Brian, Brian. "WWANK"

Ummm... that just didn't pronunciate very well.

BradS
31-Aug-2012, 15:24
..... You get from this forum commensurate with what you contribute. What's stopping you from posting threads on technique?

Kirk makes an excellent point...if you're into discussing technique, post some threads about technique. Even if all you can do is ask questions, it will naturally lead to more discussion about technique.

You get out of it in proportion to what you put in....

John Kasaian
31-Aug-2012, 18:23
Technique. Gear. It's all good:)

Leigh
31-Aug-2012, 18:56
The term "Large Format" describes the size of the film, not the size of the print.
By definition that's a function of the gear being used.

If you don't like gear talk, don't read gear posts.

Most techniques (lighting, composition, etc) are not format-dependent, and could be discussed on any forum.

- Leigh

cosmicexplosion
31-Aug-2012, 19:15
I a agree that sometimes when you press what's new
It's a majority of for sale items which gives a certain vibe

My idea would be to put the for sale section in its own realm
And to not have it come up in what's new

Leigh
31-Aug-2012, 19:21
If you click on Unified View, the results do not include the FS section.

But you skip over threads that don't interest you anyway, what's the problem with skipping FS threads?

- Leigh

WootSK
31-Aug-2012, 22:08
It does not matter what the forum is about, it is about how you can contribute or receive from the forum to make a closer picture to what you visualise it to be and better.

The only issue I have is that in the forum, there are question with answer easy to find everywhere be it in the forum or a simple google search. But those lazy bumps just rather prefer to be spoonfed and post the question leading to repeated similiar useless threads. Some thread starter even complain about how answer are given like spoiled brats.

Leigh
31-Aug-2012, 22:28
Some thread starters even complain about how answers are given like spoiled brats.
+100

- Leigh

BrianShaw
31-Aug-2012, 22:37
+100

I don't like that kind of response. waaaa-waaa. In the future please use scientific notation. coddle my selfish need. If not scientific notation, then octal or hex will suffice... but only if you insist. Please answer the question asked.

Leigh
31-Aug-2012, 22:43
I don't like that kind of response. waaaa-waaa.
I wasn't aware that my responses were subject to your assessment.

In the future please use scientific notation. coddle my selfish need.
10e2 (or if you prefer +1 * 10^2)

Please answer the question asked.
What question? The OP's original question?

I answered that in post #19. RTFT (Read The Fine Thread)!

- Leigh

Light Guru
31-Aug-2012, 23:25

Well germans do make nice lenses, combine that with advanced alien technology, and a production facility where you have 5/6 less gravity and your bound to have a awesome lens.

Leigh
31-Aug-2012, 23:35
The problem with alien lens designs is that their visible spectrum is significantly different from ours, so
alien lenses, although of superb quality, are totally opaque to humans (and our film).

This requires extremely long exposures.

- Leigh

mdm
1-Sep-2012, 00:00
The problem is it is full of people who dont make pictures. A tiny minority use their LF cameras let alone share the results.

jp
1-Sep-2012, 04:18
Along the same lines, there are excellent photographers who don't have the self confidence to post a photo once in a while because they don't think it's good enough, or someone posts a photo which receives mixed comments, and consequently fails to understand they are photographers for themself and not the Internet. There was a guy a couple years ago putting up stunningly beautiful 5x7 simple landscapes of the canadian plains/mountains with awesome skys. Many many enjoyed then, one person said they were boring, and the image stream dried right up.

Ralph Barker
1-Sep-2012, 04:44

;)

E. von Hoegh
1-Sep-2012, 07:09

;)

Differential from what?

E. von Hoegh
1-Sep-2012, 07:13
The problem with alien lens designs is that their visible spectrum is significantly different from ours, so
alien lenses, although of superb quality, are totally opaque to humans (and our film).

This requires extremely long exposures.

- Leigh

If they are totally opaque, the exposures will be infinitely long. This will render processing chemicals, printing paper, darkrooms, and spectators to view the non-existant finished prints pointless.

Greg Miller
1-Sep-2012, 08:02

I think what it is about will differ for each individual. But technique is meaningless without a defined end product in mind. Thinking about an end result, a photograph or photographic print, frames the discussion about gear and technique.

For me, photographs themselves are about 90% creative vision, 9% process/technique, and 1% gear. Optimal discussion on the forum would be 50% creative vision, 49% process/technique, and 1% gear. Creative vision is something that can be very difficult to discuss, even if a photographer is fully self aware of what their creative vision is. But a photograph has to move me first, before I ever care about process, technique, or gear. And without creative vision, what drives the decision making for selecting process, technique, or gear? So without a photograph or creative vision in mind, process, technique, and gear talk feels a bit shallow.

BradS
1-Sep-2012, 09:06

My idea would be to put the for sale section in its own realm
And to not have it come up in what's new

Its getting to the point where the for sale section is the only part of the forum I enjoy lately.
Threads in the rest of the forum invaribly degenerate into a few regulars engagining in a pissing contest.
Even the for sale posts go that direction all too often.

Leigh
1-Sep-2012, 10:36
If they are totally opaque, the exposures will be infinitely long.
Well, nothing is perfect, fortunately.

I get around the high opacity by using really really fast film. :D

- Leigh

Ralph Barker
1-Sep-2012, 15:02
Differential from what?

Old Willys Jeep.

C. D. Keth
1-Sep-2012, 17:17
Gear is easy to talk about without offending anybody or anybody getting bent out of shape. The average amateur photographer is not very good at taking criticism.

WootSK
1-Sep-2012, 18:46
+100

- Leigh

I am lost what does the above reply means?

Leigh
1-Sep-2012, 18:57
I am lost what does the above reply means?
It refers to the text that was quoted in that post (waaaay back at post #23).

The more commonly used form is +1 (see post #6), meaning one more vote for the quoted statement.

My +100 meant 100 more votes.

- Leigh

Leigh
2-Sep-2012, 16:26
... nothing about Minox or half frame cameras. ;-)
I have both. What would you like to discuss? :D

- Leigh

E. von Hoegh
4-Sep-2012, 11:16
Yes.. all this talk about Large Format gear and nothing about Minox or half frame cameras. ;-)

It's a large format forum. What size is your monitor?

rdenney
4-Sep-2012, 11:55
Its getting to the point where the for sale section is the only part of the forum I enjoy lately.
Threads in the rest of the forum invaribly degenerate into a few regulars engagining in a pissing contest.
Even the for sale posts go that direction all too often.

I just started a technique thread yesterday. Do I get bonus points?

And already, there are lines being drawn in that thread.

Plenty of pissing in the gear threads, too, though it stands to reason there would be a lot of activity there--that's where new folks need initial help.

But I don't look at individual sub-forums--this overall forum is just not that big. I look at "New Posts", and skip past the titles that either don't interest me or that ask questions into which I have no insight (and that's a lot of them). I usually don't even notice what sub-forum they are in, and the only time I look at a sub-forum is when I want to post something. And with that I realize my technique thread went into "On Photography" where it should not have--I didn't notice that super-secret Style and Technique sub-forum.

Nothing generates pissing, though, like discussions about photography and art. It seems to me those should be the most considered threads here, but that is often not the case.

Rick "take what you need and leave the rest" Denney