PDA

View Full Version : What Happens when Jobo Goes Away?!

RedSun
29-Aug-2012, 21:25
Jobo systems have been very popular. But it is harder and harder to get parts to service its processors. What happens when the day comes that your CPE, CPA and CPP stopped working?

Do we go back to regular tanks, sheet film trays?

Or there is any other system(s) that can replace Jobo?

Lachlan 717
29-Aug-2012, 21:53
Try Googling "Jobo CPP3"...

Michael Kadillak
30-Aug-2012, 07:14
Or there is any other system(s) that can replace Jobo?

Yes. If the price of a new Jobo takes your breath away look into gaseous burst. This technology has been processing your E6 for years and it works with all developers.

Drew Wiley
30-Aug-2012, 08:46
There are plenty of Jobo things still available. Just buy a spare used unit on the cheap for
parts. Besides, drum processors are easy to make yourself. Or perhaps some entrepreneur
will get a nice little shop business out of custom fabricating small numbers of such things.
Jobo was always overpriced due to the retail markup inherent to volume distribution.

bob carnie
30-Aug-2012, 09:04
We have the design and are going to build a semi auto unit for Jobo tanks.. bit pricey for most people here, but I wanted the unit
to be all easily attained NA parts, I have a source for all new tanks and reels. The unit will take me into the next fifteen years with no hassels.

Once we make the first unit we will post and if there are those wanting one made my guy will do it .

There are plenty of Jobo things still available. Just buy a spare used unit on the cheap for
parts. Besides, drum processors are easy to make yourself. Or perhaps some entrepreneur
will get a nice little shop business out of custom fabricating small numbers of such things.
Jobo was always overpriced due to the retail markup inherent to volume distribution.

SamReeves
30-Aug-2012, 09:37
Maybe somebody can produce a cheaper clone. :D

Kevin J. Kolosky
30-Aug-2012, 10:03
We have the design and are going to build a semi auto unit for Jobo tanks.. bit pricey for most people here, but I wanted the unit
to be all easily attained NA parts, I have a source for all new tanks and reels. The unit will take me into the next fifteen years with no hassels.

Once we make the first unit we will post and if there are those wanting one made my guy will do it .

And when do you expect all of this to actually happen?

bob carnie
30-Aug-2012, 10:07
Hopefully this fall... you interested in buying one?

Jody_S
30-Aug-2012, 11:52
Any competent tinsmith can fabricate a JOBO-like unit. Just like any competent furniture-maker can fabricate a large format camera.

Of course, these days with Wal-Mart furniture making Ikea furniture look well-made, good luck on finding a furniture-maker. Or a tinsmith.

Marc B.
30-Aug-2012, 13:39
Former LFPF thread on the subject:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?89227-Can-this-be-true-Jobo-rises-again

Link from that thread:
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/blog/?p=47&preview=true

UK(?) sales contact:
info@firstcall-photographic.co.uk

evan clarke
30-Aug-2012, 14:19
I jumped on the CPP3 the minute it was announced, with a new one of these and 3 cpp2s ( in various states of disrepair ) I can soup film 'til I die..

Marc B.
30-Aug-2012, 14:30
Evan,
May I ask what you had to pay for the unit?
Is there a US distributor, or did it come from EU/UK?

Marc

Drew Wiley
30-Aug-2012, 15:16
Plenty of superb furniture and cabinet makers still around. I deal with hundreds of them.
And drum processing gear would not be made by a tinsmith. All you need is some plastic irrigation pipe of the right size and basic knowledge in plastic fabrication. Or you could sub
that out to any number of outfits. The electrical and drive components are readily available. Just need a decent design. See how Bob's prototype works and get on his list.

RichardSperry
30-Aug-2012, 16:34
UK(?) sales contact:
info@firstcall-photographic.co.uk

I wanted to buy a 2509N from FirstCall. It's £35, about $50.

The shipping is £90.

I don't get it. I bought a lens last year from Ffordes, and shipping was £25. I bet the lens weighs more than the 2509N.

evan clarke
30-Aug-2012, 16:38
Evan,
May I ask what you had to pay for the unit?
Is there a US distributor, or did it come from EU/UK?

Marc

Hi, About $3200.00 US but they had a deal for the free lift if you ordered..Used CPP2s are going for $1800 on eBay with no warrantiy, a new one must be a better value. The Cpp3 is supposed to be beefed up a lot from the 2.

Sal Santamaura
30-Aug-2012, 17:43
...drum processing gear would not be made by a tinsmith. All you need is some plastic irrigation pipe of the right size and basic knowledge in plastic fabrication...The film chambers in Jobo Expert drums -- the ones designed for sheet film processing -- are not cylindrical like paper drums or irrigation pipe. They're "fat-waisted" assemblies, individually hand built that way so chemistry will reach behind the film.

Not quite so simple as it may appear. :)

bob carnie
31-Aug-2012, 05:19
The tank systems are still available new so for my purposes we would buy all brand new Jobo tanks and reels. The tanks and reels I have served me well for 15 years so getting them all replaced would serve me even longer as the volume of film has dramatically dropped over the last 15 years , at this point I am only working with a few key clients still exposing film and of course the film that my wife and I take including the staff who all shoot film here.
I am only interested in building the rotation/timer/waterbath system out of NA parts.
We are building the rotation device to handle the various tank systems for Alt2300 , I use up to 16 x20 tanks.

The film chambers in Jobo Expert drums -- the ones designed for sheet film processing -- are not cylindrical like paper drums or irrigation pipe. They're "fat-waisted" assemblies, individually hand built that way so chemistry will reach behind the film.

Not quite so simple as it may appear. :)

Sal Santamaura
31-Aug-2012, 08:02
The tank systems are still available new so for my purposes we would buy all brand new Jobo tanks and reels...I am only interested in building the rotation/timer/waterbath system out of NA parts...I knew that Bob. That's why I didn't quote you. :)

bob carnie
31-Aug-2012, 08:26
I just didn't want anyone to think I was trying to make an expert drum.. they are incredible.

Andre Noble
31-Aug-2012, 10:33
I just didn't want anyone to think I was trying to make an expert drum.. they are incredible.Jobo's Rita is working on it as we speak. (http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/blog/?p=155)

Drew Wiley
31-Aug-2012, 11:41
I've never cared much for Jobo drums. They're very slow to fill and drain, unnecessarily
complicated, and are too thin for ideal insulation properties - an inevitable tradoff when
you've got a tiny high RPM motor that can't handle thicker plastic or large drums. Getting water behind is easy - you just need appropriate internal ribbing. Still, Jobo deserves a lot of credit for supplying this kind of equipment over the long haul. It's been generally reliable,
and I use the hand inversion drums myself for small film. Any new design needs a more serious gearmotor capable of lower RPM's for greater dev versatility. Water bath works when temp and inside are equalized. Stainless is better for this than plastic. But thick plastic hold temp INSIDE a lot better. I mainly use Noryl drums - an expensive material but
a much better insulator.

koh303
6-Sep-2012, 17:30
Hi, About $3200.00 US but they had a deal for the free lift if you ordered..Used CPP2s are going for $1800 on eBay with no warrantiy, a new one must be a better value. The Cpp3 is supposed to be beefed up a lot from the 2.

If you buy the machine from the UK, who will service it in the US, or are you planing on shipping it back and forth every time it needs warranty service? (shipping to UK of CPP2\3 with no lift is about 400$ with DHL express, and not possible with USPS)?

koh303
6-Sep-2012, 17:33
I wanted to buy a 2509N from FirstCall. It's £35, about $50.

The shipping is £90.

I don't get it. I bought a lens last year from Ffordes, and shipping was £25. I bet the lens weighs more than the 2509N.

Seems like this place (www.catlabs.info) has new 2509n in the US, and just sold some on the sleazebay for 90$ or so including shipping in the US.... Maybe they have more...

RichardSperry
6-Sep-2012, 22:57
Yes,

I am following them. They appear to be dedicated reselling organization. They buy up the used, then double+ the price for resale. The 2509 with a 2500 tank they are selling for $175+.

The 2509 that you mentioned appears to have closed without selling, and has not been relisted yet. I doubt they have a better new item distribution channel than you or I.

Anyway, I am still debating keeping the Jobo or selling it, so investing almost $$ deeper for one film format will have to wait. The CombiPlan works fine for now.

chuck94022
7-Sep-2012, 02:44
I used to have a Cpp2, but lost it years ago to a move/remodel. Now I am just developing with tanks and hand inversion. I control temps for c-41 in a washtub. Easy peasy. But I do low volumes. I do 4x5, MF and 35mm both color and B&W. I don't miss the Jobo for film. Well, I do miss it a little, but my process works fine without it.

koh303
7-Sep-2012, 04:42
The 2509 that you mentioned appears to have closed without selling, and has not been relisted yet. I doubt they have a better new item distribution channel than you or I.
What do you mean?

Obviously they are saving you (or I) at least some of the shipping cost of any would be cheaper reseller in europe (BTW 35gbp is about 58$ +whatever % your credit card company charges for foreign transactions, mine is 3%).

In my eyes, an easy return option (i doubt first call would refund the actual shipping if you return an item), local service and so on are worth a buck or two, if it means i can get it next day, call and get a answer if i need one.

Also i guess that price point is an issue, but i suspect that as a small operation, that seems to only sell Jobo gear (and other analog darkroom stuff) their gonna have a higher margin the very large operations such as firstcall or BH. In any case its a local business.

Of course thats not to say that you can find any of this stuff cheaper elsewhere.

Greg Blank
10-Sep-2012, 04:02
Shouldn't you be telling people you are Catlabs?

Seems like this place (www.catlabs.info) has new 2509n in the US, and just sold some on the sleazebay for 90$ or so including shipping in the US.... Maybe they have more...

vinny
10-Sep-2012, 05:03
or is he http://processorparts.blogspot(dot)com/? which also mentions catlabs on their site

koh303
10-Sep-2012, 08:00
Greg, Vinny - I should. But for some reason i have confounded fear a moderator will ban me or something similar (or for that matter for being thought of as a lowly self promoter, which i guess i am after all anyways). In some prior life, i had a user that got mistakenly banned from photo.net because someone thought i was promoting something, and took a whole lot of hoopla to reinstate.

For all intents and purposes - i am Omer, the person behind catlabs (of which processorparts.blogpost.com is a part of). I thought that was clear form my many previous posts in the matter, but - I hope this clears things up - the points of my postings here are informational more then anything else.

Greg Blank
10-Sep-2012, 10:29
You have my respect Omer,...its the honest way to go.

Greg, Vinny - I should. But for some reason i have confounded fear a moderator will ban me or something similar (or for that matter for being thought of as a lowly self promoter, which i guess i am after all anyways). In some prior life, i had a user that got mistakenly banned from photo.net because someone thought i was promoting something, and took a whole lot of hoopla to reinstate.

For all intents and purposes - i am Omer, the person behind catlabs (of which processorparts.blogpost.com is a part of). I thought that was clear form my many previous posts in the matter, but - I hope this clears things up - the points of my postings here are informational more then anything else.

Sal Santamaura
10-Sep-2012, 11:06
...i am Omer, the person behind catlabs[/U] (of which processorparts.blogpost.com is a part of)...I suggest that you, as well as anyone else involved in selling photography equipment as a business (as opposed to private parties who occasionally list items FS), put your affiliation in your user ID to make it clear. Exactly like Bob Salomon did -- see one of his posts here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?94171-Kodak-announces-plans-to-sell-consumer-film-division&p=930648&viewfull=1#post930648

koh303
10-Sep-2012, 11:57
I am unable to change the user name, perhaps there is a MOD who can help with that? or anyone else?
For now i have added that tag under the user name as well as the following signature.

Sal Santamaura
10-Sep-2012, 12:10
...perhaps there is a MOD who can help...The volunteer moderators are unable to read every post in every thread. Your best bet would be scrolling down to the bottom of this page and clicking on the "Contact Us" link in the shaded bar.

RichardSperry
10-Sep-2012, 12:15
i had a user that got mistakenly banned from photo.net

I like you already.

Just a suggestion. Get a real distributorship deal with Jobo. So you can offer the product at retail pricing here in the US.

I am not going to buy used stuff for double new price no matter what the product is. Just not in me at all.

bob carnie
10-Sep-2012, 12:18
I am under the impression that Omer has new tanks and reels for sale. I have been discussing this with him of late.

koh303
10-Sep-2012, 12:44
As bob mentioned, CatLABS has a full stock of a range of NEW Jobo drums, reels and other items.

As for pricing - as this has been discussed many a time over LFF threads, and in other places, the issues of international importation, on demand stock and other small business related issues create a market place with various restrictions. Its nothing i happy about, and no one here is making big bucks, just trying to get by - day by day.

We are working hard at improving our import rations to lower prices, and have managed to do so steadily over the past year. This does not mean it is cheap, but is certainly competitive with Europe based retailers pricing.

I would like to think that the higher base cost represents the fact CatLABS offers a local, US based outlet and service. I am sure that in that respect Jobo is only one of many globally marketed consumer goods that is not regularly imported\distributed in to the US by a mega corporation, and carries a higher base price then elsewhere in the world.

RichardSperry
10-Sep-2012, 13:04
Noted, that the new listings for the 2905n with tank with cog are listed as new, and a tad lower priced than a couple weeks ago. And you now have 47 listings, some new most used inventory.

We are going in the right direction here, it appears. We may be doing business soon.

Thanks Omer.

koh303
10-Sep-2012, 13:22
Most new inventory never makes it to the sleazbay, but i assure you its here :)
We are working in increasing the on hand stock of stuff so that not only will the price of individual items be lower, but more importantly - that they are always in stock. We will see how this goes after photokina 2012.