PDA

View Full Version : Odd pattern in exhibition sales......

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2012, 11:58
I find this very odd and can't figure it out. Based on results from the Contemplative Landscape show in SF (coming down in October) as of yesterday with five prints sold, regardless of the quality of the venue I sell better out of group shows than I do out my own solo exhibits. This has been true for many many years now that I think of it. What is that about? I'm stumped. There are other reasons of course to do solo shows but..........is it because of the diversity-such as how does your work look compared to other people's (traditional LF landscape vs. other formats or vs. more contemporary work) or high quality of the company elevates your work in people's minds?

Drew Wiley
27-Aug-2012, 12:40
I don't know about group shows ... but the whole gallery concept works better in something analogous to an "auto row" mode, as opposed to isolated dealerships. You need
a neighborhood which attracts art buyers, unless you're a known commodity with a dedicated following. Group shows might attract a little wider local audience because more
notices go out. I'm slowly gearing up to go back in the print business, but have to keep it
fairly calm for now, at least until I'm formally retired and have more time on my hands.
I doubt I'll ever use the traditional gallery model again, unless I own the business outright,
which is a possibility, but with all the parasitic overhead that goes with it. Nowadays we've
got to compete with the web and the general ignorance of the public about what a fine print actually look like. So there does need to be a mechanism to place people in front of
the real thing, rather than just some butchered smudge on the web.

Greg Miller
27-Aug-2012, 12:41
Maybe your work is so obviously better than others in the show, that the superior quality stands out more than if your prints are the only ones pisplayed.

bob carnie
27-Aug-2012, 12:42
Sounds like you may be hitting that critical point where you have exhibited enough that you are a proven commodity worth collecting and putting on walls.. All I can say is good for you.

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2012, 13:01
I'm just thinking this through. I rarely do "gallery" shows Drew. Almost all my shows are at museums/institutional spaces. The show I mentioned in Santa Fe is at a museum. People see the work-look me up online and buy a print. Also I do well at group shows regardless of whether it is a group "photography" exhibit or a mixed media exhibit with paintings, sculpture etc.. In either case I do better than at my own solo exhibits.

Sounds like you may be hitting that critical point where you have exhibited enough that you are a proven commodity worth collecting and putting on walls.. All I can say is good for you. I certainly hope that is true as it would certainly make my on coming "old age" more comfortable instead of trying to keep doing commercial work. This pattern of better sales at group shows became a trend about 2005. In 2005 I had my big retrospective show at the Albuquerque Museum of some 100 prints and sold 2. Eight months later at a group mixed media show in the SAME space I sold 6 from only hanging 3 prints.

Maybe your work is so obviously better than others in the show, that the superior quality stands out more than if your prints are the only ones pisplayed. That's not true from my point of view as I have shown with allot of very fine artists-some of whom are my heros.

I also rarely know how well I am doing in regard to other's sales at these group shows-only in terms of my own history.

Ed Richards
27-Aug-2012, 14:32
Do you hang significantly fewer prints at group shows? If so, maybe you are inducing choice paralysis at the solo shows. People want to buy, but can't make up their minds.

Leigh
27-Aug-2012, 14:59
I expect group shows bring more feet through the door than solo shows.
That provides access to customers who may not be familiar with a particular artist's work.

This is an observation in general, not aimed at any individual photographer.

- Leigh

Drew Wiley
27-Aug-2012, 15:57
Sounds good, Kirk. An occasional public venue is often enough to jump start a round of
inquiry that can last for quite a few years. I'm still fielding requests, and the grapevine has
generally operated rather well, provided one is not solely dependent upon print sales for a viable living. Just needs another minor kick once in awhile. But that whole group vs solo thing has me baffled. Maybe just a statistical fluke. Whatever ... but it sure would be nice
if your career could gravitate mainly to personal work. Maybe you're like me, and crossing
your T's and dotting your I's in preparation for the next round.

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2012, 16:47
Do you hang significantly fewer prints at group shows? If so, maybe you are inducing choice paralysis at the solo shows. People want to buy, but can't make up their minds.

Yes 2,4,6 images maybe in a group show vs. 25-100 in a solo show. Your point is interesting.

I expect group shows bring more feet through the door than solo shows.
That provides access to customers who may not be familiar with a particular artist's work.

Probably very true.

Maybe just a statistical fluke. Whatever ... but it sure would be nice
if your career could gravitate mainly to personal work. Maybe you're like me, and crossing
your T's and dotting your I's in preparation for the next round.

I'm hoping.....

Mark Sawyer
27-Aug-2012, 17:34
...I sell better out of group shows than I do out my own solo exhibits.

Maybe your solo exhibits are attended by really cheap people? :rolleyes:

Leigh
27-Aug-2012, 17:38
Kirk,

Could it be that your shows are too "mono"?
By that I mean an identifiable style/treatment/subject that limits the viewers' range of interest.

Group shows by definition have a wide variety of work, which will attract a wide range of potential buyers.

- Leigh

Frank Petronio
27-Aug-2012, 18:55
Shut up and be in more group shows!

Seriously I'd look at the the location and demographics of the audiences. College kids can't afford your prints.

Corran
27-Aug-2012, 19:13
College kids can't afford your prints.

:rolleyes:
This is true...which is why "showing" in coffee shops sure doesn't work! (As I have experienced...though in fact my first big showing at the only "real" gallery where I live has been a major flop...not a single sale.)

As an aside...I am trading a Crown Graphic to one of my teachers for one of his 16x20 prints. I think I'm getting a deal!!

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2012, 19:40
That's what I am wondering.

Kirk,

Could it be that your shows are too "mono"?
By that I mean an identifiable style/treatment/subject that limits the viewers' range of interest.

Group shows by definition have a wide variety of work, which will attract a wide range of potential buyers.

- Leigh

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2012, 19:45
You shouldn't measure the success of a show just by sales unless that is the sole reason you made the images.

:rolleyes:
This is true...which is why "showing" in coffee shops sure doesn't work! (As I have experienced...though in fact my first big showing at the only "real" gallery where I live has been a major flop...not a single sale.)

As an aside...I am trading a Crown Graphic to one of my teachers for one of his 16x20 prints. I think I'm getting a deal!!

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2012, 19:47
Maybe your solo exhibits are attended by really cheap people? :rolleyes:
I think.......I have good turn outs at my solo shows but I'm thinking it is mainly friends who largely already have a piece or two.

Kirk Gittings
27-Aug-2012, 19:50
Shut up and be in more group shows!

Seriously I'd look at the the location and demographics of the audiences. College kids can't afford your prints.

I actually have little control over the group shows as they come out of the blue via invitation, but yes I think that may have to become a more conscious effort.

Corran
27-Aug-2012, 20:28
You shouldn't measure the success of a show just by sales unless that is the sole reason you made the images.

True enough. I was just hoping to get some work "out there" as well as earn some money to buy more materials. It sucks to have a large outlay of cash for film/paper/chemicals/framing not to mention TIME and not get any sales (but lots of compliments....).

Leigh
27-Aug-2012, 20:37
...and not get any sales (but lots of compliments....).
As they say... A pat on the back cleans your jacket, nothing more.

- Leigh

Mark Sawyer
27-Aug-2012, 22:03
Seriously, many of the people who truly appreciate fine photography the most are also among the most unlikely to buy a photograph.

(Personally, I think the ultimate compliment would be to have someone beat you up to steal one of your photographs... )

Struan Gray
28-Aug-2012, 00:06
Either your work stands out in group shows as being of higher quality, or you're just cheaper than the rest for the casual souvenir buyers :-)

I suspect Ed hit the nail on the head though. I know that if I go to a show of a single artist I always want to buy a book or catalogue. It's rare that I can choose a single image to stand for any body of work which has a consistent vision. Have you compared book sales at the two types of venue?

Kirk Gittings
9-Nov-2012, 11:55
Seriously, many of the people who truly appreciate fine photography the most are also among the most unlikely to buy a photograph.

In the last 12 months I have sold 13 prints ranging from $400 to $4k. Only one to a photographer (and a very good photographer FWIW), two to museums, three to people I would call sophisticated collectors of art (not just photography). The rest I don't know. I would say that over the years (I'm guessing really) maybe a bit less than 10% were sold to photographers.

Frank Petronio
9-Nov-2012, 11:59
I've sold a bunch of ~$100 prints to other photographers because I suspect that being photographers, they can't afford more expensive art... but they've been generous customers and I take it as a larger compliment than some civilian spending more ;-p

It seems that one of the few growth areas for professional photography is teaching and promoting photography skills to amateurs outside of a formal college setting. Everything from apps to workshops to blogs and books... other photographers are the best market.

ROL
9-Nov-2012, 13:01
I just caught up to this thread, and I must say I have noticed the same. People (have actually said they) are overwhelmed by my prints when shown exclusively. I go with the idea of "choice paralysis", although frankly I've been blaming the economy. In the interest of eating next week, I'd be happy show with any of you. :D

mikebarger
9-Nov-2012, 13:29
When my wife and I buy artwork for the walls, it's easier for us to come to agreement on an item when it is shown in a group showing. Single artist we can agree we like the body of work, but can't agree which one to buy and end up not buying. When several artist are in the show, we easily agree which artist we like best....then it's fewer choices from that artist, hoping it's cooked down to what are the artist's favorites. It's just easier to decide.

I know it doesn't make sense................

Kirk Gittings
9-Nov-2012, 13:45
Actually it does make some sense-certainly more sense than what I had figured out about this phenomena prior to this thread.