PDA

View Full Version : Ilex No5 questions

wiggywag
25-Aug-2012, 15:58
Hi!

When I look at pictures of Ilex no5 I see that they go down to f/stop 22 which is not enough for me. How do you go about this?

I have also seen there are different designs (maybe only different fonts) of the Ilex 5, I guess early and older models. What are the differences? What is older, what is never? Are there certain types I should forget about?

Thanks!

Jan Pedersen
25-Aug-2012, 17:29
It really depend on the lens mounted in the shutter and not so much about the shutter itself.
I have 3 lenses in Ilex #5 and only only stop down to f22 the Kodak 305 soft focus lens. The other two stop down to f45
The 24" Goerz Red Dot Artar in Ilex #5 stop down to f90 as an example.
What you should be concerned about is the thread front and back as it could be custom made for a different lens than what you want to mount in the shutter.

Michael Jones
25-Aug-2012, 20:31
The black faced Ilex & Melles Griot were the last models made. As long as it is a rim set model and has a working aperture, it can probably be repaired if needed. As Jan said, the apertures are a function of the lens & mounting of it.

Good luck.

Mike

Mike

wiggywag
26-Aug-2012, 11:17
Thanks, that clarifies things. I believe when mounting a lens with SKGrimes they just make a new aperture scale to fit the lens.

Michael Jones
31-Aug-2012, 13:24
Thanks, that clarifies things. I believe when mounting a lens with SKGrimes they just make a new aperture scale to fit the lens.

Yes, they have a device to calibrate and mark the proper stops for lenses.

Good luck.

Mike

john wilton
4-Sep-2012, 18:33
Keep in mind that Kodak-threaded Ilex 5s (and 4s) are 'different from the others."

Frank Petronio
4-Sep-2012, 18:45
And the fast speeds aren't.