PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have experience shipping large, unmounted prints to China?

frotog
23-Aug-2012, 06:49
Has anyone shipped prints to China?

I recently made a sale to a collector in China - three 40x60 sized c-prints and one b/w fiber 30x40. The few times I made an overseas sale I was with a gallery and they dealt with the logistics of safely getting the artwork to it's destination. Now, however, I'm in between galleries and having not finalized any agreements I made this sale as a free agent.

Must I hire an art moving business? I'm tempted to ship via fedex in a Sonotube with the prints wrapped in glassines. However, I'm concerned that the artwork will be removed in customs which will inevitably result in dinged and damaged prints. I could purchase shipping insurance for the sale amount but I'm sure that'll put the shipping price through the roof and it won't necessarily protect me from the hassles of having a customs' agent unrolling fragile prints. I've had insurance claims with fedex in the past and I have a hard time imagining convincing their agent that a dinged print amounts to a total loss.

Wayne Crider
26-Aug-2012, 09:10
I'd contact the collector and express your concerns. As a collector they should have some idea as to problems that could arise. Ask if they have had problems in the past. Of course it goes without saying to label the package fragile, but maybe add a line "conservation photographic prints" or "white glove handling only". Maybe get it printed in Chinese if possible.

paulr
15-Oct-2012, 20:42
Did you come up with a solution? I'd be curious to hear about it.

Drew Bedo
16-Oct-2012, 05:53
Here in Houston, I would contact someone at Houston Center for Photography for advice. This is a non-profit focused on photography education. go to www.hcponline.org

I might also try to contact someone at one of the several art museums here in Houston and ask.

Whee are you located?