PDA

View Full Version : Glossy paper for proofing?

paulr
22-Aug-2012, 08:29
Any recommendations for a glossy paper for proofs, and possibly informal portfolio use? It will be used with Epson K3 inks, and possibly Cone's K3 substitute inks on an Epson 2400.

It must:
-look reasonably good
-be cheap
-have a wide enough gamut to be useful for proofing final prints on a higher grade paper
-be thick enough to not feel terribly flimsy at 13x19

It would be nice if:
-it were reasonably archival (doesn't need to last 200 years, but I don't want it to fade or turn yellow in the next few years)

Does such an animal exist?

bob carnie
22-Aug-2012, 10:15
Epson Exhibition Fibre is great for this purpose.

Any recommendations for a glossy paper for proofs, and possibly informal portfolio use? It will be used with Epson K3 inks, and possibly Cone's K3 substitute inks on an Epson 2400.

It must:
-look reasonably good
-be cheap
-have a wide enough gamut to be useful for proofing final prints on a higher grade paper
-be thick enough to not feel terribly flimsy at 13x19

It would be nice if:
-it were reasonably archival (doesn't need to last 200 years, but I don't want it to fade or turn yellow in the next few years)

Does such an animal exist?

paulr
22-Aug-2012, 11:27
That looks like good paper, but at $3 a sheet in 13x19 it's too steep for me for proofing.

bob carnie
22-Aug-2012, 11:57
Its the only one that I have seen with a good surface that does not go wonky when you look at it from a side.
I am currently using it, Velvet luster, Hot Press Natural and a Smooth Cotton from Fuji.
they are all in the price range.

That looks like good paper, but at $3 a sheet in 13x19 it's too steep for me for proofing.

Lenny Eiger
23-Aug-2012, 10:16
I don't like buying anything from Epson if I can avoid it... and on 8/20 I got an email from inkjetmall (Jon Cone's place) about a sale on their Studio papers... It doesn't look like much less, just something to take a look at...

I would also post a Want to Buy" message on the for sale list. Lots of people have paper they have tried and decided not to use. I have rolls and rolls of useless stuff that usually ends up being the base for my daughter's high school art projects.....

Lenny

paulr
23-Aug-2012, 13:49
Amen on not wanting to give epson any more coin.

I'm looking now at Moab Lasal Photo Matte and Breathing Color Vibrance Gloss.

Curious to know if anyone uses these.