PDA

View Full Version : what pouch for 95mm round filter

AnselAdamsX
20-Aug-2012, 18:17
I have a thick B+W 95mm round filter and polarizer and 3 thinner heliopan filters that I'd like to find a pouch for. Only thing that looks like it will work is the porta brace fc-1. Any other suggestions?

David A. Goldfarb
20-Aug-2012, 19:50
I was going to recommend something from porta brace. 4" square filters are common for film and video.

Leigh
20-Aug-2012, 19:58
I use the square plastic holders that the B+W filters come in when new.

B&H sells these separate from the filters. The largest size came with my 95mm B+W filters.

- Leigh

C. D. Keth
20-Aug-2012, 20:25
I use a couple of these (http://www.modular51.com/index.php?main_page=index&main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=12) at work for panavision (4"x5.6") size filters. It has soft side velcro on the top edge so you can label it and there are velcro tabs inside for labels on the individual slots. It seems a little expensive but I've been using mine hard for a long time and they're in great shape still. Very, very tough construction.

AnselAdamsX
21-Aug-2012, 07:32
I do have the original B+W cases but I wanted something to keep them all together. My concern with the filter pouches is will their slots handle the B+W filter thickness. Most just say they fit square filters. If I stack my Cokin P filters up it takes 6 to equal one B+W. The Panavision looks promising.

cowanw
21-Aug-2012, 08:52
CD holders work well, especially if you can find a high grade one with other than paper slots.

Jim Jones
21-Aug-2012, 15:04
I prefer front and rear screw-in caps. They are very compact and provide excellent protection. The main disadvantage is slower access than some filter holders.

Leigh
21-Aug-2012, 15:08
I have the screw-on caps. They work fine, and provide excellent protection, superior to any common plastic.

The disadvantage is slower access to individual filters.

Also, some filters are (stupidly) printed on the inside rather than on the rim.

- Leigh

C. D. Keth
21-Aug-2012, 15:57
I do have the original B+W cases but I wanted something to keep them all together. My concern with the filter pouches is will their slots handle the B+W filter thickness. Most just say they fit square filters. If I stack my Cokin P filters up it takes 6 to equal one B+W. The Panavision looks promising.

The filter pouch I posted is made to fit thick optical glass filters for movie cameras. The optical flats are usually 1/4" thick water white glass and don't fit so snugly they're uncomfortable to get back out.

David A. Goldfarb
21-Aug-2012, 16:27
Also, some filters are (stupidly) printed on the inside rather than on the rim.

- Leigh

I've used a permanent silver marker to write the filter type on the rim for filters with the engraving on the inside retaining ring. I like metal screw caps for filters that can use them.