PDA

View Full Version : Saunders/LPL 4500-II or Omega D5 (XL)?

RedSun
16-Aug-2012, 11:53
Looking at both enlargers, not sure which one to pick. Both come with color heads.

I think most folks prefer the Saunders if the prices are comparable?

Henry Ambrose
16-Aug-2012, 13:58
Saunders for sure at a similar price.
I'd pick the Saunders even if its a good bit higher.

evan clarke
16-Aug-2012, 14:13
No Brainer..the LPL, they are built aligned and stay aligned..I have four of them and they all are excellent.

Oren Grad
16-Aug-2012, 14:25
No Brainer..the LPL, they are built aligned and stay aligned..I have four of them and they all are excellent.

Or else they're built slightly misaligned and stay slightly misaligned, like mine. They're not Dursts. I like mine anyway - the overall simplicity and smoothness of operation are very nice. But if one places a high priority on alignment perfection without having to resort to kludges like sticking shims under the optional masking stage, the Omega might be a better bet.

PS: I should add that I've been using my LPL 4500II for 19 years now, since buying it new, which speaks well for its durability.

evan clarke
16-Aug-2012, 16:24
Or else they're built slightly misaligned and stay slightly misaligned, like mine. They're not Dursts. I like mine anyway - the overall simplicity and smoothness of operation are very nice. But if one places a high priority on alignment perfection without having to resort to kludges like sticking shims under the optional masking stage, the Omega might be a better bet.

PS: I should add that I've been using my LPL 4500II for 19 years now, since buying it new, which speaks well for its durability.

But still not a quirky as a D5..I have three Omegas and you need to align them every time you move the lens stage..

Oren Grad
16-Aug-2012, 17:48
But still not a quirky as a D5.

For sure. With the Omegas, more complexity and more built-in adjustability often results in more need to adjust.