PDA

View Full Version : What brand of sealable plastic bag best fits 4x5 film holders?

cuypers1807
15-Aug-2012, 16:48
I use sealable plasitic bags as many of you do for my 4x5 holders but was curious what brand bag you use that has the best shape to hold 4x5 film holders?
Thanks!
Joseph

Leigh
15-Aug-2012, 16:53
Take a look at "zipper bags" from McMaster-Carr Supply at www.mcmaster.com

They have a slide closer, designed for repetitive use. Very nice.

This link takes you to the ziplock bags page, zipper bags are linked near the end: http://www.mcmaster.com/#resealable-bags/=iv65wd

- Leigh

Frank Petronio
15-Aug-2012, 17:09
I carry 3 to 5 4x5 holders in a simple gallon zip-style bag. I reinsert exposed holders upside down after I shoot them.

Keith Pitman
15-Aug-2012, 17:10
I like Ziplock freezer bags. The freezer bags are a little heavier material than other Ziplocks and hold up better.

I don't like bags with sliders. I've had to fight with too many sliders that came off the track.

Sal Santamaura
15-Aug-2012, 20:59
Unfortunately, minimum order quantity is 1,000, but the absolute best for plastic 4x5 holders is Item 1648 here:

http://www.royalbag.com/Pink-Antistat-Reclosable-Bags.asp

Note that the page takes a long time to load. Be patient; it will finish -- eventually. :)

biedron
15-Aug-2012, 21:39
I use ones like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Antistatic-Bags-Resealable-6X10-Pack/dp/B000BSN274/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345091655&sr=1-1&keywords=6x10+antistatic+bags

In theory the antistatic property helps cut down on dust.

Bob

Vaughn
15-Aug-2012, 21:40
Any zip-lock style in the quart size for 4x5's. Cheap, easy to find and works great.

BrianShaw
16-Aug-2012, 06:41
Any zip-lock style in the quart size for 4x5's. Cheap, easy to find and works great.

Ditto. I don't fret over baggie desing too much, but the freezer bags do last longer.

chassis
16-Aug-2012, 09:56
Quart size ziplock bags work for me. No specific brand or thickness. If it breaks I get a new one.

jp
16-Aug-2012, 10:24
I use pink anti-static poly bags. I bought a lifetime supply on ebay.

Ivan J. Eberle
16-Aug-2012, 12:14
Til now I've always used Ziploks or other polyethylene bags, but seasoally dust is a major issue here. Certain times, Grafmatics are all but unusable and I resort to Quickloads. Do the anti-static bags work to keep Fidelity type holders from getting a charge?

evan clarke
16-Aug-2012, 14:26
I use pink anti-static poly bags. I bought a lifetime supply on ebay.

I also bought a lifetime supply of 3M anti static bags on eBay, like 3000 of them for only $50-60. I thought I would use them once and pitch them but they last forever...

Sal Santamaura
16-Aug-2012, 16:14
...Do the anti-static bags work to keep Fidelity type holders from getting a charge?Yes, they do. They also dissipate any charge the holder may have when put in a bag.

cuypers1807
16-Aug-2012, 17:32
My problem lately has been that the bag companies seem to be switching from putting the zipper on the short end to the long end.. at least on the quart size... this makes it pretty much unusable for my 4x5 holders.

jp
16-Aug-2012, 17:57
Til now I've always used Ziploks or other polyethylene bags, but seasoally dust is a major issue here. Certain times, Grafmatics are all but unusable and I resort to Quickloads. Do the anti-static bags work to keep Fidelity type holders from getting a charge?

Anything they touch, the static is gone.

I have a cheap resin plastic chair that used to zap me awful in the winter. I taped an antistatic bag to the seat; and the whole chair no longer zaps.

pbryld
17-Aug-2012, 08:08
So one keeps their loaded holders in bags to prevent static electricity from attracting dust?

Vaughn
17-Aug-2012, 08:20
So one keeps their loaded holders in bags to prevent static electricity from attracting dust?

The bags keep the dust out during storage, but in dry conditions (low relative humidity), taking holders out of (non anti-static) plastic bags can generate some static charges that attract dust. I live in an area of high relative humidity, so I have not worried about it too much.

A long time ago (1985) some computer geeks I met at a workshop had measured the static charge build-up caused by removing the darkslide of a modern film holder. Static discharges can do nasty things to computer components. What they measured with the film holders was significant. The speed at which the darkslide is removed greatly influences the amount of charge created (the faster -- the higher the charge).

I also have an anti-static brush I take into the field with me, and I give the darkslide a quick brush before inserting the holder into the camera -- mostly to keep the light trap as clean as I can.

Vaughn

Alan Gales
17-Aug-2012, 09:57
I bought Hefty slider bags at Target. I have had no problems with static electricity but here in St. Louis we have high humidity.

mike rosenlof
17-Aug-2012, 15:27
I use quart size zip-lock (whatever the exact brand name is) freezer bags. They last a long time. I like the anti-static bag idea even though I haven't had static problems, and I'm in a dry area.

I may get some for my 8x10 holders.

Vaughn
17-Aug-2012, 15:33
...I may get some for my 8x10 holders.

I have some padded (bubble) anti-static bags for the 8x10's, but not zip-lock type, just fold the top over -- two to three holders per bag. I need to get more as mine are about toast (I have been using the same bags for several years). U-Line has them, but far more than I need in a box!

Vaughn

Peter Spangenberg
17-Aug-2012, 15:54
For those worried about smaller quantities, I use these guys:
http://staticbags.com/Pink-All.html
Get the pink ziplock 4 mil ones. They come in lots of sizes depending on the size of your holders. Best advantage is you don't need to buy a case.

John Kasaian
27-Aug-2012, 21:34
I like hefty bags.

Shen45
28-Aug-2012, 02:13
10x8 empty black plastic paper bags work well and they are a good light barrier as well.

John Kasaian
31-Aug-2012, 13:05
10x8 empty black plastic paper bags work well and they are a good light barrier as well.

plastic paper?

Larry H-L
1-Sep-2012, 14:06
I think he is referring to black plastic bags that come inside of boxes of 8 x 10 photographic paper.